How do we make cap space? Who should be cut?

wackywabbit

point taken.

however, this

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Therefore if the Ravens cut him and that helps us sign a big name free agent

is what gets me. what about signing your won talent for once? keep Jensen ffs and not create holes you hope to be able to fill by adding comp picks which - wow - didn't work out so well this year.

10 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

point taken.

however, this

is what gets me. what about signing your won talent for once? keep Jensen ffs and not create holes you hope to be able to fill by adding comp picks which - wow - didn't work out so well this year.

Meh. Ryan Jensen is a one hit wonder. We give him a huge contract and he somehow regresses and suddenly everyone uses hindsight bias as for why we should never have signed him. I’d rather not sink a huge investment to a position that we have a competent replacement with on the roster.

Our OL is one of the strongest units on our team. We have a college center who did well at RG filling in for Marshal Yanda. He has a similar size profile to Jensen and similar strengths in college.

I’d rather give him a shot and use that money to target either WR or TE, right end because we wouldn’t have to give a long contract to Graham because of his age and WR because we have struggled to draft receivers and thus we can’t rely on a rookie coming in and lighting the world on fire.

Keep Carr and Howard. Cut Maclin and Woodhead. Not sure about Webb, but he needs to not see time at cornerback anymore. Perriman is whatever. If that little bit of room is needed then sure, but otherwise just keep him. There isn't any other wide receiver talent burning in Baltimore's back pocket. (I still like Tim White though)

I'm iffy on cutting Woodhead, he gives us depth at two positions and is a 1st down machine. On the other hand with Dixon back, and Danny's health being an issue too often during the year, I could be on board with it. Maclin is a goner, he was a really big disappointment for us. Carr should 100% be kept, CB is finally a huge strength for this team, why mock our blessing now.

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Carr should 100% be kept, CB is finally a huge strength for this team, why mock our blessing now.

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate. I loved the move to sign him last year because of that elite durability, but I think it has to a real consideration as a possibility. 

He makes $6M in 2018. Jimmy makes 9. We have two safeties making 6.5 and 6. Humphrey has earned a starting spot. Young has earned a slot (basically starting) spot, if he's not greatly diminished by the injury. Then we have Canady and Hill as prospects. That's assuming Webb is gone and they don't add anyone else. 

Compare that to WR, where we all expect Maclin to be cut. Mike Wallace is an unrestricted FA, and that's the most under the radar situation of the offseason. We basically have Perriman and Chris Moore as our top 2 wide receivers right now.

So to put it one way, if it becomes a situation where we have to choose between keeping Carr or resigning Mike Wallace, then I think we'd have to go for Wallace. 

24 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

So to put it one way, if it becomes a situation where we have to choose between keeping Carr or resigning Mike Wallace, then I think we'd have to go for Wallace.

If that was the situation, I think the FO would bet on itself and let Wallace go, then look towards the draft for answers or a cheaper vet. When they talk about the cornerback position it's like they're speaking of a past trauma. 

21 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

If that was the situation, I think the FO would bet on itself and let Wallace go, then look towards the draft for answers or a cheaper vet. When they talk about the cornerback position it's like they're speaking of a past trauma. 

You're trusting THIS front office to find a full set of answers at WR vs trusting them to bring in a depth outside CB. 

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate. I loved the move to sign him last year because of that elite durability, but I think it has to a real consideration as a possibility. 

He makes $6M in 2018. Jimmy makes 9. We have two safeties making 6.5 and 6. Humphrey has earned a starting spot. Young has earned a slot (basically starting) spot, if he's not greatly diminished by the injury. Then we have Canady and Hill as prospects. That's assuming Webb is gone and they don't add anyone else. 

Compare that to WR, where we all expect Maclin to be cut. Mike Wallace is an unrestricted FA, and that's the most under the radar situation of the offseason. We basically have Perriman and Chris Moore as our top 2 wide receivers right now.

This could be a good idea.

It makes me nervous to rely on a secondary without Carr. But this front office has really had some great secondary draft picks as of late... and with day 3 picks no less. They are developing the corners well.

Trusting another veteran to come in and click with Flacco, be as durable as Wallace has, and buy into the culture like Wallace... might not be something we can find.

Wallace likes it here. He’s hungry to win a Super Bowl and has stepped up in big situations more than any other offensive threat this team had last season (maybe Moore could get consideration).

We saw Carr, towards the second half of the season start to take a nose dive in play. It wasn’t just the Steelers game. He was abused a couple times along that late stretch... and one has to wonder, if Wallace ability as a deep threat, might not mean more for the team moving forward?

... and I don’t know if I have an answer to that question.

That said, I would easily target Sammy Watkins as a deep threat/more first.

One of our biggest cap saving moves may not be a cut at all, but extending CJ Moseley.  The 5th year option is set to be $8-9MM for MLB (factored into our cap estimates, depending which you are looking at).

18 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

One of our biggest cap saving moves may not be a cut at all, but extending CJ Moseley.  The 5th year option is set to be $8-9MM for MLB (factored into our cap estimates, depending which you are looking at).

Yea, as much as I'd like to trade him, this is prolly what we'll do. He isn't elite so hopefully we don't pay him as such, but I'm not holding out hope. 

16 hours ago, sp6488 said:

ugh if we extend him you have to think he's going to get somewhere just south of where Kuechly and Wagner are (which is $10M/year). The only way I support this is if Mosley slims back down and gets his range/athleticism back. I couldn't care less if he can play the run and take on blockers or not. I want him to run around and actually make plays in space.

With the talk that the Ravens seem to be the favorite for Landry I am trying to figure out how they clear the space for him without backloading he deal.

Starting at 9 million in cap space the obvious cuts only seem to get the Ravens to 25 million. Hardly enough to be functional in  free agency and the draft once they add Landry.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

With the talk that the Ravens seem to be the favorite for Landry

?. Not sure what you're referencing.

To make space it would involve cutting several players and likely a couple restructures. None of it is ideal but we could do it.

22 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

?. Not sure what you're referencing.

To make space it would involve cutting several players and likely a couple restructures. None of it is ideal but we could do it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/43541/espns-insiders-peg-ravens-as-the-favorite-to-trade-for-jarvis-landry

ESPN asked seven of its NFL insiders to predict which team Jarvis Landrywould be playing for in 2018.

A majority of them selected the Baltimore Ravens.

Landry was considered the top wide receiver available in free agency before the Miami Dolphins placed the franchise tag on him, and national NFL writers Kevin Seifert and Dan Graziano, NFL analyst Matt Bowen and Football Outsiders' Aaron Schatz all believe the Ravens will still end up with the three-time Pro Bowl player.

Archived