Comp picks

Beck Bristow

16 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

All 4 teams (Cards, Cowboys, Raiders, and Bengals) that lead in comp picks got looted in FA and sucked last year.  But Mike Brown loves his comp picks...

Seems like that model only ‘works’ when they got lucky and killed the draft. 

I don't really mind the idea but you have to be smart about it. Can't let must have guys like whitworth leave for a fifth. Replaceable guys who are getting overpaid are totally worth letting go and getting a third back. But now you have 11 picks and maybe 6 spots for them, so dont be scared to trade up.

7 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I don't really mind the idea but you have to be smart about it. Can't let must have guys like whitworth leave for a fifth. Replaceable guys who are getting overpaid are totally worth letting go and getting a third back. But now you have 11 picks and maybe 6 spots for them, so dont be scared to trade up.

They should, but they won't.

9 hours ago, Futbudds said:

Seems like that model only ‘works’ when they got lucky and killed the draft. 

The comp pick model, however, is working very well.  Teams that lose players should lose games.  And teams that lose players that lose games should be rewarded with more picks to help get better.

It's almost like that shouldn't be something to aim for.

47 minutes ago, theJ said:

They should, but they won't.

The comp pick model, however, is working very well.  Teams that lose players should lose games.  And teams that lose players that lose games should be rewarded with more picks to help get better.

It's almost like that shouldn't be something to aim for.

And yet the four teams in the title games this year were all active in free agency last year. 

9 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

IF and only IF they do next door to nothing during free agency right?

1.  They can only get the comp pick NEXT year

2.  They don't have to be non-existent in free agency.  They just can't have a contract similar to AJMcCs this off-season.  If McCarron signs a big starter's deal (north of $12 million), I just can't see a player out there that we'd spend that kind of money on.  Even top LBs won't approach that.  So we can still sign guys that don't wash out his deal.  But if he signs a one year prove it deal, then signing a center, LB or OG could offset that.

13 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

1.  They can only get the comp pick NEXT year

2.  They don't have to be non-existent in free agency.  They just can't have a contract similar to AJMcCs this off-season.  If McCarron signs a big starter's deal (north of $12 million), I just can't see a player out there that we'd spend that kind of money on.  Even top LBs won't approach that.  So we can still sign guys that don't wash out his deal.  But if he signs a one year prove it deal, then signing a center, LB or OG could offset that.

With the Mccarron ruling my guess is that they will be extra stingy and only really be active a week after free agency starts.

Archived