Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

9 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I cant get into a groups music that is basically a boy band that was put together by a record label.

But Im not saying that Old Town Road is a country song. Its not. Country music is defined by stringed instruments, and all that song has is a looped beat. I just think its a fun song that will be out of the minds of everyone in a month and forgotten much like every viral song that has come along the past twenty years.

I've never heard it. I love Midland though. Regardless of how they were put together they are singing country songs the way country was meant to be done.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 7:20 PM, TENINCH said:

I've never heard it. I love Midland though. Regardless of how they were put together they are singing country songs the way country was meant to be done.

Thats the thing. I cant like Midland.

I love people trying to get big or to become country artist. They play for years trying to get a record deal.

MIdland?.......Big Machine saw that bro country was on its last leg. They decided to get ahead of everything, and bring a group that sounds like the 70s and looks like that timeline as well. What do they do? They find a male model that can sing. Boom! They have a lead singer. They search and find a guy that has connections across both coasts and is descent looking. Boom! Second guy. They find this third guy that can play multiple instruments. Boom! Roster complete........The bad part. They try to fabricate their beginnings. They say that the band has been trying to get record deals forever while playing in Austin for years.....That never happened. They never played together. They were just put together in Nashville...A male model. A guy that won MTV Awards for directing a Bruno Mars video, and random guy that got lucky.

Im sorry. I cant enjoy a band that is making a mockery of country music and is only together because they were brought together and dont even like the music that they are playing.

Remembering the part of the Midland back story where this wedding is where the band formed, I was trying to verify the date and details and such when I happened onto an article in People Magazine covering the wedding. That’s right, the wedding where Midland was formed? It was covered by People Magazine in September of 2013. Without delving into the back story of either of the other two members of the band, the fact that Cameron Duddy’s weddin

g, and the place where Midland was formed, was covered by People Magazine, should tell you just how bogus the idea is that Midland is a band of hard luck, hardscrabble characters. Cameron Duddy was a product of the ultra-rich and power elite even before Midland was formed.

“The groom, 27, and his bride, 31, opted for a cowboy chic theme for the nuptials, which were held at the sprawling Jackson Hole ranch owned by Duddy’s step-grandmother, actress Connie Stevens,” says the People Magazine article. “Duddy, who recently won an MTV Video Music Award for directing Bruno Mars’ “Locked Out of Heaven,” is the son of cinematographer Christopher Duddy and Renee Axotis. His father wed Stevens’ daughter, actress Joely Fisher, in 1996.”

ne of the things that has really tweaked off a lot of folks in Texas who’ve been following this Midland narrative is the idea that, as the Rolling Stone article says, the band played “at any Texas honky-tonk that would have them” when virtually nobody in the Central Texas country scene and beyond can recall ever seeing Midland on a bill or a calendar. The Rolling Stone article also mentions, “Sharon Burke, owner of Poodies Hilltop Roadhouse in Austin, hired Midland in 2015 for a month-long residency in the sub-prime slot of Tuesday afternoons.”

And what of the Midland frontman, Mark Wystrach? Yes, he was a male model for underwear among other things, and appeared on the NBC Soap Opera Passions, as well as other various TV shows. That doesn’t mean you’re immediately rolling in the dough by any stretch, or that you can’t play country music. But it also means you don’t have the ability to sell people on this idea of being destitute and doing all of these hard-wrought things that lend to the mystique Big Machine Records is trying to assign to this band, all while the other side of country media like Whiskey Riff is running dedicated articles of Wystrach glossies from his acting days, selling him as the hunkiest guy in country music.

It’s all marketing. It’s all image and “lifestyle branding.” Cameron Duddy and Mark Wystrach leveraged their high-level contacts in the entertainment business to launch a band. I can’t wait until the Midland-branded silver-plated, fake turquoise necklaces make it to Wal-Mart’s Panama Jack display. The lead guitar player, Jess Carson, who is originally from Oregon and moved to Austin, seems to be the only one with some true musical skins on the wall. But even his back story is foggy at best.

• Like 1

The new George Strait album keeps getting better and better with every listen. There's definitely a few throw away songs like every Strait album has, but there is more meat here than any Strait recording this century. God and Country music is already the song of the year, and I have no clue how it wasnt the lead single for the album. It will go down as one of his best ever.

Other albums Im enjoying this year

• Triston Marez-That Was All Me-I cannot reccommend this EP enough. If you like Strait, you will love this
  • Charles Wesley Godwin-Seneca-If you like Tyler Childers or any Appalachian based music, this is for you
  • Clay Walker-Long Live the Cowboy-Clay keeps churning out good music, even if Nashville doesn care anymore
  • Gone West-Tides-Former pop star Colbie Callet joins with former JaneDear Girls singer Nelly Joy and their significant others for a airy west coast sound.
  • Flatland Cavalry/Cody Johnson-Texas country is coming out strong in 2019 with these releases. If you like Turnpike Trubadores, Flatland is your thing. If you like wholesome country music like George Strait, then Cody Johnson will bring you joy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, mistakey said:

Charley Crockett is the man.  Didnt mind Joshua Hedley either.

Must have somehow missed this comment.

Im not going back to my review of the album to see what I said, but Headley just really sounds like a cover band.  The album sounds good, but it doesnt seem genuine. It feels like he's still in Robert's playing covers for the crowd. Maybe Im wrong.

Dont think Ive ever listened to Charley Crockett

Just going through the deep hole on youtube, and I come across a song thats is really one of the best written songs of the decade. Jack Ingram(forget his Nashville crap) is really one of the best artists this century. Great writer. Great artist. Just a great entertainer.............Blaine

https://www.blainespub.com/

Full story

Edited by devils1854

3 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Never said it was country music, but its catchy as hell, and Ill listen to it for now.

It will die in a month just like Harlem Shake, Macarena, etc.....

Thats all. Lets get back to real country music.

Catchy as hell is far different from "pretty freaking good" tbh.

It's just a bad and incredibly lazy song. Nothing good about combining Billy Ray Cyrus for a chorus with a mumble rapper. God, mumble rap needs to die. Any idiot can do it.

Edited by beekay414

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Catchy as hell is far different from "pretty freaking good" tbh.

It's just a bad and incredibly lazy song. Nothing good about combining Billy Ray Cyrus for a chorus with a mumble rapper. God, mumble rap needs to die. Any idiot can do it.

Me saying pretty freakin good wasnt insinuating that it was The Dance or He Stopped Loving Her Today level.

It was more of me being surprised that I liked it. Hence using that sentence.

Its 4am and Im still drinking and I have plans in 6 hours. I know Ive become somewhat of a curmudgen for Nashville music, so here are 6 songs I like from Nashville and 6 from anywhere else(current songs).

Ashley McBryde-Girl Goin Nowhere
Jon Pardi-Night Shift
George Strait-Every Little Honky Tonk Bar
Michael Ray-One That Got Away
Riley Green-There Was This Girl
Kip Moore-The Bull

Charles Wesley Godwin-Hardwood Floors
Triston Marez-Where Rivers Are Red and Cowboys Are Blue
Chris Shiflett-This Ol World
Bri Bagwell-Cheat on Me
Josh Abbott Band-Im Your Only Flaw
Cody Johnson-Welcome to the Show

• 4 weeks later...

2019 is only 4 1/2 months old, but this is turning into one of the best years for country music this decade.

Not going to harp on albums Ive already talked about but just in the past month or so Maddie & Tae and the Randy Rodgers Band have put out excellent albums, and some great singles have been released by Jade Jackson, William Michael Morgan, Triston Marez, Granger Smith, and of course Luke Combs.

Going to start with Triston Marez. He's my find of the year, much like Shotgun Rider of 2018. He released an amazing EP back in January, but he has already followed it up with a new single called Darlin. Its classic Texas Country. No frills or catchy gimics. Just a damn good country song. Its already one of my favorites of the year, and will hold up come December.

We now get to Luke Combs. This guy has just exploded after one album. He is the antithesis of the mid 2010s Bro Country, and thats what people are clamoring for. Its like I said when I profiled him a few years back as the next breakout star before Hurricane became a hit. He is a fat, normal looking guy that isnt playing snap tracks or drum loops. He isnt the most throw back guy, but he is reminding everyone of the mid 2000s, and thats far enough away for there to be a nostalgia factor. His new song Beer Never Broke My Heart is going to be his signature song. Its fun. Its uptempo, and he shows off his powerful voice. It has that arena rock sound of the mid 2000s, and it really takes from songs like Hillbilly Deluxe from Brooks & Dunn, and early Jason Aldean. Its going to be the song of the year, and will be the song that everyone plays this summer.