28.Shotgun Rider-Im Not Alright
27.Jon Pardi-She Aint In It
26.Adam Hood w/Brent Cobb-She Dont Love Me
25.Rich O'Toole-Mississippi Baby
24.Eric Church-Desperate Man
23.Brent Cobb-Aint A Road Too Long
22.Riley Green-In A Truck Right Now
21.Brent Cobb-Come Home Soon

You see Brent Cobb three times on this ten. Yes, I am high on him this year. His album is definitely in the top ten for 2018. This wont be the last time Shotgun Rider in seen in the rankings. They are someone else that had a very good release this past year.

20-11

20.Kenna Danielle-I-35 Reasons
19.Jake Owen-Down To The Honkeytonk
18.Sam Hunt-Downtown's Dead
17.Randall King-Mirror, Mirror
16.Jon Wolfe-Any Night in Texas
15.Joe Nichols-Good Ole Boys Like Me
14.Jordan Rager-One of The Good Ones
13.Chris Lane w/Tori Kelly-Take Back Home Girl
12.Jon Pardi-Night Shift
11.Parker McCollum-Hell of A Year

Singles wise, this year was a good year for Music Row in my opinion since I have four in this section. Jake Owen's latest is just a fun song. Sam Hunt just keeps putting out songs that get in your head and you just listen to them for some reason. Tori Kelly has an amazing voice, and it works really well with Lane, and there isnt a better throwback country artist in the game better than Pardi. Also, take a listen to Mirror, Mirror by Randall King. Its pure 90s country(and so is his album).

On 1/6/2019 at 1:25 PM, devils1854 said:

90s country is getting vastly overrated these days just because it was stuck between the 80s and early 2000s, which both arent being looked upon fondly by the masses.

Yes, there is good music from that era, just like there is bad music from that era, but as a whole, it is no different than any other decade of music, including today's music.

I personally dont like a ton of music that comes from Nashville today, mainly because like many at my age, I have found what I like and I dont move from that too often, but I can appreciate good music when I hear it. I just wish others were like that.

If you dont like what you hear today, then continue to follow this thread, and Im sure you will hear music from Texas, Canada, independent, and bluegrass/americana that will interest you. There's tons of good country music everywhere.

Sure there is some good stuff out there but in general it is just simply not the same quality as before.  I listed artists who crack out hits back in the day and many of them, current day there are very few songs I feel you will be hearing 15-20 years from now.  Maybe I am wrong but I think the current country stuff is simply not up to par and like most know is fringing on being Pop music.  A lot of new artists sound remarkably similar to each other I find and there is not much variety in the song writing or how it is being sung.

10-1

10.Bri Bagwell-If You Were A Cowboy
9.Ashley Monroe-Hands on You
8.Mike and The Moonpies-Beaches of Biloxi
7.Kyle Park-Aint Nobody Hotter
6.Shotgun Rider-Me and A Memory
5.Kyle Park-Rio
4.Ross Cooper-I Rode The Wild Horses
3.Kacey Musgraves-Space Cowboy
2.Kyle Park-What The Heaven
1.Shotgun Rider-Steady As She Goes

Texas artist Kyle Park leads the year with three songs in the top 10(if you dont love the fiddle in Aint Nobody Hotter do you even country music?), and fellow Texans Shotgun Rider had a huge breakout year, and have two songs in the top 10, including Steady As She Goes, my favorite song in 2018. The only mainstream artists in the top 10 are two ladies, Ashley Monroe and Kacey Musgraves, although I doubt you heard either single on mainstream radio.  Overall, it was a pretty good year for single releases.

The Worst Song of 2018

10.RaeLynn-Queens Dont/Tailgate
-Two songs from RaeLynn this year. Both are equally as bad. Bad writing. Awful music, and she isnt the greatest singer.

9.Morgan Evans-Kiss Somebody
-This guy has no talent at all. He is on the radio because he is married to Kelsea Ballerini. This is really one of the most bland songs of all time.

8.Sugarland w/Taylor Swift-Babe
-I think the word Babe is said 438 times in three minutes in this song. Bad writing, and it even sounds worse.

7.Dierks Bentley-Woman, Amen
-I had so much hope for the new Dierks record. After hearing this song, I knew it was for nothing. It even has the awful millennial whoop in the chorus.

6.Jake Owen-I Was Jack(You Were Diane)
-Owen has had plenty of bad songs in the past three to four years, but this one might be the absolute worst.The Mellancamp riff is the only good thing about it.

5.Mason Ramsay-Famous
-This kid cant actually sing. Also, this kid is like 10 years old, what the hell is he trying to sing about?

4.Kevin Fowler-Beach Please
-I have never liked Fowler's music. Ive only heard this song once, but the writing is lazy and unoriginal, and its just a dumb song.

3c.Keith Urban-Parallel Line
3b.Keith Urban-Female
3a.Keith Urban w/Julia Michaels-Coming Home
-All three songs from Urban this year are cringe worthy. He has gone from descent country singer, to a guy that has no clue what he is trying to pull off with his music.

2.AJ McLean-Back Porch Bottle Service
-I wasnt going to add this turd to the list, but the song is just so bad, it really is an assault on the country genre. FGL is Waylon Jennings compared to this crap.

1.Walker Hayes-90s Country
-Hayes is probably the worst artists to every actually try to be a country artist. He cant sing. This song might be the worst country song of all time.

Going to start my list of albums in the next few days. Ive been out of town recently and Ive got a couple concerts to head to this week, so it might be Friday. It looks like its going to be 59 total as long as I dont add anything at the last moment.

Here are the 59 albums

17 Memphis-Three Coors & The Truth
Adam Hood-Somewhere in Between
Amanda Shires-To the Sunset
American Aquarium-Things Change
Ashley McBryde-Girl Going Nowhere
Ashley Monroe-Sparrow
Ben Danaher-Still Feel Lucky
Big Smo-Special Reserve
Brent Cobb-Providence Canyon
Brett Young-Ticket To LA
Bri Bagwell-In My Defense
Brothers Osborne-Port Saint Joe
Caitlyn Smith-Starfire
Caroline Jones-Bare Feet
Carrie Underwood-Cry Pretty
Chris Lane-Laps Around The Sun
Cody Jinks-Lifers
Cole Swindell-All of It
Colter Wall-Songs of the Plains
Cowboy Troy-Laugh With Me
Dan + Shay-Dan + Shay
David Lee Murphy-No Zip Code
David Nail and The Well Ravens-Only This and Nothing More
Dierks Bentley-The Mountain
Drew Moreland-Drew Moreland
Eric Church-Desperate Man
Gord Bamford-Neon Smoke
Jason Aldean-Rearview Mirror
Jimmie Allen-Mercury Lane
John Prine-The Tree of Forgiveness
Jordan Davis-Home State
Joshua Hedley-Mr Jukebox
Kacey Musgraves-Golden Hour
Kane Brown-Experiment
Keith Urban-Grafitti U
Kendall Beard-Here Comes Trouble
Kenny Chesney-Songs for the Saints
Kip Moore-Room To Spare(Accoustic)
Kyle Park-Dont Forget Where You Come From
Mason Lively-Stronger Ties
Michael Ray-Amos
Mike and The Moonpies-Steak Night at the Prarie Rose
Mitchell Tenpenny-Telling All My Secrets
Morgan Wallen-If I Know Me
Parker Millsap-Other Arrangements
Pistol Annies-Interstate Gospel
Randall King-Randall King
Ross Cooper-I Rode the Wild Horses
Ruston Kelly-Dying Star
Sarah Shook & the Disarmers-Years
Scotty McCreery-Seasons Change
Shotgun Rider-Palo Duro
Steven Lee Olsen-Timing is Everything
Tucker Beathard-Nobody's Everything
Upchurch-Creeker
Wade Bowen-Solid Ground
Wheeler Walker Jr-WW III
The Wild Feathers-Greetings from the Neon Frontier
William Clark Green-Hebert Island

Dude do you like work for the country music business or something?  There is little to no other reason I could fathom as to why would would be so die hard with this new country music which is clearly inferior in every way to the music in the 90s and before. 

A lot of these new guys and girls it is like....

tenor.gif?itemid=9864443

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Dude do you like work for the country music business or something?  There is little to no other reason I could fathom as to why would would be so die hard with this new country music which is clearly inferior in every way to the music in the 90s and before. 

A lot of these new guys and girls it is like....

tenor.gif?itemid=9864443

Cool. Thank you for your input. You've made it clear before that you listen to 90s country. 

2018 Best Albums

Time to get this started. The first thing Im going to spotlight are the albums that arent on the list. They are either soundtracks, tribute albums, live albums, or not quite country albums.

91875ihkK2L._SY355_.jpg

This is Watson's third live album, and his first in almost a decade. Its a good snapshot of one of his recent live shows. I actually saw him last week, over a year after this was recorded, and the show and cues were very similar. Its a good album if you want to hear him sing songs off his past three albums.

Fence Post  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeFr9Y0mk9Y

41ZwCiX6WvL._SS500.jpg

This album was recorded during one of McComb's shows in Wisconsin. Its a great look at one of his shows full with stories, songs that he just wrote, and other songs that are considered his hits. I really like McComb as a singer and songwriter, and I think that anyone will become a fan of his if they listen to this album.

Didnt We  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQ4h-wJ3fs

61vKqHpWqOL._SY355_.jpg

Pat Green is a true legend in Texas Country Music. He was probably the first artist to be known by the masses, and even though he had a pretty much forgettable career singing Nashville music, he has made his mark on the music and the artists in the state of Texas. This album is pretty much a who's who of great Texas artists singing Pat's songs, and if you have spotify, take a listen to the commentary from Pat after each song.

John Baumann-Nightmare  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dDaf7zJl_c

714Sr5OJRqL._SY355_.jpg

Turner has gone from having the number one song in all of country music in 2012 to following his path to singing gospel music. I grew up in a small town, going to church every Sunday, so most of these songs are ones that I remember singing, and if Im looking for a gospel album to listen to, I like to gravitate towards older, well known songs instead of new ones. This album is that.

How Great Thou Art  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpyRCB7uy0o

71Qsuzv97oL._SY355_.jpg

One of the biggest soundtrack albums of recent memory, and while its not really a country album, it has enough sprinkled in for me to put it on this list. Jason Isbell wrote Maybe its Time which is performed by Bradley Cooper. Lori McKenna, Hillary Lindsey, and Natalie Hemby are some of the other country writers that penned songs for the album. There are times during a listen that you wish that Cooper would just become a country singer because he definitely has the voice to be a good throwback artist.

Bradley Cooper-Maybe It's Time  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdljoTFMhO4

2018 Album Rankings

Its taken me too long to get this done. I kept seeing albums that I wanted to listen to and have on the list, so it has swelled to 65, which I think is the most Ive ranked in one year. The rankings encompass Nashville country, Texas country, bluegrass, southern rock, alternative country, americana, and just about anything else that has some ties to country music. This was an interesting year. I dont think there was one absolute great album, but I have more albums ranked with at least an 80 than I ever have before. I also have more albums ranked lower than 50 than I ever have, and that is something for me because I can usually find something to like about an album. Going to try and get through this quickly.

65.81s-uJSoicL._SY355_.jpg

This album might be the worst album I have ever listened to that calls itself country. I have no clue what Urban is trying to do. He did more of a pop/electronic sound on his last album, but he still has some semblance of country music in it, and there were some descent songs. There is absolutely nothing positive about this album. I could barely get through it once. Its a bad country album. Its a bad pop album. Its just a bad album period.(1/100)

64.61lsmwg1vWL._SY355_.jpg

Not too far ahead is this album by Cowboy Troy. This is the first album I have ever listened to by him, but it sucks bad. He sang a lot of songs instead of rapping, which was different. His voice isnt terrible, but the lyrics to every song are cringeworthy, and I think a five year old could write better lyrics. It had one song that wasnt completely awful, so it ranks ahead of Urban.(10/100)

63.61CA-H-ngwL._SY355_.jpg

I actually kind of liked Young's debut album. It had some nicely written songs, and Young does have a good voice. I think the major problem with this album is what happens with a lot of acts. They write songs for years, and have the best on their first album, and then the record label comes along and says what worked and what they want on the second album, and the artist cant reproduce it. I think all but one song on the album is that mid-tempo sound that he had success with on his first album. Each song blends into the previous. Nothing really stands out.(22/100)

62.918BllW4LjL._SY355_.jpg

Dark Horse by Devin Dawson was a very late add to the list. Ive heard the title track on XM radio numerous times, and even though I havent liked anything that he put out previously, I really liked that song. The other eleven songs on the album do not compare to Dark Horse. There is no identity to this album. Each song is radically different from the previous, and you cant get into a groove listening to it. Its a mashup of multiple genres. I dont think he knows what he wants to be, or who he is. Dark Horse is still worth the listen.(28/100)

61.71ULFK3ylyL._SY355_.jpg

Im sitting here trying to think of something to say about this album, and nothing comes to mind. Thats not a good sign. This band is just bland. The songs are a little better on the ears than the albums above, but they do nothing to seperate themselves from the numerous other acts that you constantly hear on the radio.(30/100)

60.r3fROvPn_400x400.jpg

Ive seen Steven Lee Olsen in concert twice, and I really liked him. That was back in 2014 and 2015. He had one Canadian hit during that time in Raised on a Good Time. I liked it. I liked the songs he wrote. He's written Blue Ain't Your Color for Keith Urban, and songs for Kip Moore, Garth Brooks, and others. He put out his first full length album this past fall, and his whole sound has changed. He is now another pop country artist, with songs with no substance. Its sad because I really liked him.(32/100)

59.Kendall+Beard-Album+Art-Here+Comes+Troub

This album was my first introduction to Kendall. I never heard of her before, but she was on American Idol and reached the semifinals. She's now back in her home state of Texas, trying to make it big there. She does have a good voice, but she isnt much of a songwriter. These songs all all cliches that we have heard over and over, and she doesnt put any new twist on any of them. She might have a future in music, but she needs to learn who she is, and to not try to be everyone else.(33/100)

58.81cwi1RUs-L._SS500_.jpg

Both Felix Snow and Chelsea Todd got their starts in pop music, but the duo met and decided to try their hand in country music. You listen to them for thirty seconds and you will notice that their sound is nothing like you've heard in country music. While Nashville is pushing pop and R&B into the mainstream, this duo is using straight hip hop sounds mixed with country instruments. Its different. Its not all bad, but there isnt enough substance in their music for them to be anything more than a novelty act at the moment.(39/100)

57.Dan_shay_self_titled.jpg

Dan + Shay have amazing voices. I do like some of their harmonies. There is very little left of what they originally were in their third album. Gone is their pop country sound. Its now replaced with a full R&B vibe. Its not good, and they use a snap track in what seems like over half of the songs of the album. If you know what a snap track is, then you will never be able to not hear it in any song. Its annoying, and its a cheap out for making a beat for a song. Dan + Shay could be much more, but with their mega hit Tequila off this album, do they want to be?(40/100)

56.71Ma-2kQAaL._SY355_.jpg

Wheeler Walker Jr has become a parody of a parody act. His first two albums, while not being anything ground breaking, did have some interesting and clever songs. In his third album, he gives all that up and is now just going for shock value, and that is a shame because there is always room in country music for a good parody act. I feel like he blew his load(figuratively) on this album because he might be hanging up the hat soon, and going back to being a regular comedian.(41/100)