Devils Country Music Thread

devils1854

Holy crap, Halsey is a fantastic singer, and dang gorgeous. Havent been a Lady A fan for a long while. Hillary Scott brought it there at the end.

I thought we were going to go to a commercial after one song for a second.

I dont like the Brothers Osborne version of any Brooks & Dunn song. I dont like the loud electric guitar over a honky tonk song. It drowns everything out. They have a style and it really works for them. They are some of the best in Nashville, but dont do these songs. I dont think Dustin Lynch knew what this song was when the camera cut to him. Wouldnt shock me at all.

The camera wont let Luke Combs drink in peace.

Maren Morris makes a name for herself on some pop songs and puts out a new album thats 100% pop and nothing like My Church at all. This song girl is so bad. The second verse is her saying the same sentence twice in a row. Thats it.......Nominated for song and single of the year, and some people wonder why people look for things outside of Nashville when it comes to country music now.

I just dont know what to say about Morgan Wallen. His thing is just working right now. I didnt even hear all the nominees for group of the year but I did see a picture of Zac Brown with an owl on his arm. That was worth seeing Old Dominion win this.

God's Country is such a huge deal for Blake Shelton. His star was fading a little, but he's back on top with this. Its not a bad song. I like gothic themes in my music. We need more of it. Tyminski had a pretty good take on southern gothic a couple years ago the album was aptly called Southern Gothic.

Crap Keith, lets pander some more. He is the absolute worst with the most vague, inoffensive thing he has going on.

Such bad nominees for album of the year. Thomas Rhett, Carrie Underwood, Dan + Shay, and Maren Morris are all jokes. Eric Church's album wasnt his best, but its better than these. Of course Girl won. What the crap.

Of course Eric Church comes out and sings acoustic. Some of It is a good song.

Male Vocalist. Combs maybe? or Stapleton. That would be good. Yep, Combs. Pretty predictable awards so far.

Kacey is perfect tonight. She sounds so dang good, and this is a damn good duet with Willie.

Garth looks more and more like a dad caricature every day. Its so hilarious, and I really think he is leaning into it hard.

I like this Garth song less and less every time I hear it. It sounds like a song that was written in 95, but it was too cheezy to be recorded, and it was found and dusted off by Garth's people and of course he loved it.......In good news, I am going to see Garth this Saturday in Nealand(SP?) Stadium in Knoxville. This will be my 7th time and definitely will be the biggest venue. Pretty excited. Seats are on the floor.

Lets go female vocalist. My guess is Maren Morris before they even say the nominees. Id obviously go with Miranda Lambert, but Kacey probably had the biggest year if you dont knock her for not being on the charts. Kacey wins. Nice, Ill dig it.

I know Garth wins the entertainer of the year award. With the woman power night, I thought they would have given it to Carrie. Little shocked there. I would give it to Church. Huge huge tour and hits. Stapleton had a huge tour. Not sure about chart performance. Garth just has that machine rolling. 10 concerts a year? Probably makes 50 million. 25 shows? 100 million maybe? Its ridiculous how he can just print money.

No closing number? That sucks. Overall I would say that it was one of the better awards shows Ive seen in a while. Predictable with the awards mostly. The artists that gets pushed with money towards hits are the ones that have the money thrown at awards ceremonies for wins, but Ill call the night a win.

Crazy not seeing Luke Bryan and Jason Aldean at the award show. They're always nominated and also perform at all the shows (CMA, ACM, CMT). I'm guessing they stayed home pouting since they weren't nominated for anything. 

I can't stand Maren Morris. Kelsea Ballerini is so much better.

Garth winning EoTY is a joke. I'm a Garth fan, but Church, or even Carrie, deserved it more. 

Musgraves...bleh. She seems so fake. Not a fan. Felt bad watching Wiley struggle. What a trooper. Performing until God says it's time to hang up the boots. 

And per usual, Dierks gets no respect. 

Edited by Slinky

• 2 weeks later...

TOP EP'S OF 2019

Its once again time for my year end lists. Ill be starting with my list of EPs. Some artists release a EP months before a full length release and all songs on the EP are on the actual album. We saw that with Luke Combs and Jason Aldean this year among others. In these cases, the EPs are not ranked. Just the full albums. I have a total of 26 on the list this year. I think that might be my record for the most. Im hoping to get this list done by Friday because I will be out of town for the weekend, and I can start something new next week. Id love to have this done by the end of the month because I am going to start on some decade lists in January.

This whole EP is filled with snap tracks and electronic beats. Its a Chase Rice album. It even ends with the over sexual R&B song that is as much country as Cardi B. I dont know if this is his decision, or if his label is just tanking his career, but after coming off two big hits, you would think that more effort would have been put into this. The EP really doesnt have any redeeming qualities.(1/50)

81NvNsTaQyL._SS500_.jpg

I first heard the James Barker Band a couple years ago, when their song Chills garnered enough airplay in the states for them to enter the charts. I was intrigued enough by the band. Singles Only is their second EP, and three of the songs have already reached the top ten in their native Canada. The biggest hit off the album is the song Keep It Simple, and its some awful combination of Thomas Rhett and Chris Lane. This album does absolutely nothing for me. Nothing but cliches, and none are clever or new. Its just the same tired stuff over and over.(6/50)

81ICW9WVFbL._SS500_.jpg

This is the second EP from Phillips that I have given a listen to. I like his voice, but Ive realized that his voice and delivery are a lot like Lee Brice. Once I realized that, Ive noticed that every song on this album could be discarded songs by Brice that werent good enough to release on a album. There is nothing in the four songs that make me want to come back for future listens. Nothing stands out. This whole concept, whether it be the album or the promotion of Phillips in general, seems like an idea thats been done ten times before to better results.(07/50)

71+kgGZaWQL._SS500_.jpg

This past April I ventured out to my favorite music venue in Nashville to see one of my favorite Texas artists play. He had another Texas artist as the opening act that I was excited for. This guy Ive never heard of comes out between them. I think I paid attention to two songs. It was bad. I forgot the artist. Needless to say, Matt Stell now has a Billboard #1 country hit. The only reason this EP isnt last on the list is because that song Prayed For You has a catchy chorus.(7/50)

71C3iSmi8jL._SS500_.jpg

There has been some discussion about Schneider before on here. It seemed to be mostly positive, so when I saw a new EP was out, I was curious in a good way. Just look at the album picture. I thought we were getting away from ****** bro country. The album sounds like the picture. Electric beats over and over.....and lets not forget the talk-rap. The second song is also about how country Schneider is. The album is not last because I could see myself jamming to Whole Town Talk at a tailgate or something like that.(09/50)

91ZbV-A1aML._SS500_.jpg

Steven James & The Jaded are a Texas country/grunge band that has been making a name for themselves across the state the past few years. Starr Street is my first intro to the band, and I really feel like this whole thing is a mess. One song sounds like it was recorded by Everclear in the 90s, and the next is a waltz. I love diversity in music. Challenge yourself, but make sure you are damn good at one thing before doing something else. Everything feels incomplete. The writing somewhat paints a picture for you, but its not interesting. There is no hook on any of it. Better production would help too. There's a lot. Something good; The Piney Woods is the song where things are put together. Its actually good. James needs more of that.(12/50)

hqdefault.jpg

I have enjoyed previous Down Home Sessions by Cole Swindell, but this one really misses the mark. This is another pop/electronic getaway for Swindell that is just a collection of songs that werent good enough to get on a regular album. The one exception is the song Right Where I Left It. Ive always thought that Cole has done a good job with his songs describing the small town life, and this is another of those songs. No electronic sounds, just a electric guitar that gets a little heavy at times, but it works in the song.(16/50)

91jcS3A1dhL._SS500_.jpg

I really hate beating a dead horse, but this EP is another one from a successful country artist(in their own market) that sounds like a collection of songs that just werent good enough for the full album. The EP is a short four songs, and the first three really miss the mark. Although, I feel like Abbott is very proud of the song Surprise Surprise. Its about his life from getting songs on the radio, to settling down, to having his first child. The song has the same ol Abbott sound, but I just think the writing just misses the mark. Its supposed to be catchy, but I dont hear it. The title track Catching Fire is the one good track from the album, but the repeated chorus of Catching Fire, Catching Fire does get a little repetitive towards the end.(18/50)

9143y5KJixL._SS500_.jpg

Dallas has become one of the absolute biggest stars in Canada. Seven of his past eight singles have gone number one, including three from this album. Coming from a rock background, Ive always enjoyed his uptempo electric guitar heavy sound, and he even added good and clever writing to the songs. It got him where he is, but on The Fall, his sound has gone pop. Its safe. It sounds like everything else. There's no remnants from his days as the lead singer of Default.(18/50)

51c7RR+SsdL._SX342_QL70_.jpg

Now You Know is a collection of four new songs and two songs that were released as singles in the previous year. Langston signed to a major label at the first of the year, and he has been out with Luke Bryan and others, but there's absolutely no buzz around him anymore, and this sound is the main reason. The lead single Now You Know is trying to be one of the rocking, fun songs he has released in the past, but its cookie cutter, and its a safe sound. Its not intrusive to the ears so it can be heard on the radio. The next song is the previously released Dance Tonight, and its another safe, boring love song. Langston used to belt out words and you could feel the passion in his voice, but not here, and these songs arent going to get him closer to being a star.(20/50)

81zTBOgL1KL._SS500_.jpg

I was excited about getting new music from Ray Scott. I absolutely love his voice. I dont think we've had a voice close to his on the radio since maybe Jeff Bates. I could be totally wrong. The title track comes at you first, and Scott wants you to know that he is a traditional artist and not like those pop boys on the radio. The sound is much more 90s country than honky tonk. In fact, the whole EP has a strong 90s sound. I feel like everything is really close to being good. Maybe a small change to a lyric here and there. Slightly change a few arrangements. Its just hard to really say what is bad about the album, but I cant really put my finger on something that I really like. I am encouraged though. I think he is close to putting out something really good to put him on the map.(26/50)

91UbYk30g5L._SS500_.jpg

Black Sheep is the first time Ive listened to this Canadian country star, and I immediately hear the production. There is a lot of money in this. This album really reminds me of Dierks Bentley from his album Black to now. The songs are soulless. They really arent bad. I could catch myself singing along to a few of them, but this music is a dime a dozen, and is kinda just there.(26/50)

91aX9cPpqPL._SS500_.jpg

You've heard Ray Fulcher if you listen to Luke Combs. He has fourteen cuts on Combs two studio albums, including When It Rains, It Pours and Even Though Im Leaving. Fulcher is one of the better mainstream writers, and you can see him growing because some of these good songs have even made it to his own stuff. Fulcher's voice isnt great or special, and thats what is really holding him back. I do like him, but he definitely has a ceiling.(27/50)

71xx5kNFb5L._SS500_.jpg

Hurd definitely isnt the most country guy, but he is good at what he does. His music has that coastal airy sound that gets me, and he mixes that stuff with a little steel guitar. Hurd actually released two EPs this year. This is the latest one, and the lesser one. I feel like there are two good songs in Half Hoping and Platonic. There are two average songs in To a T and Florida With a Girl, and Wish for the Wold does not belong here and it really takes the ending of the album down and it crashes, and just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.(27/50)

91QNTAd6wIL._SS500_.jpg

From the Vault is exactly what you think it is. Its a collection of songs that have been previously recorded by Mize over the years that was never released until now. The early stuff was what originally got me into Logan's music, so its nice to step back and hear a sounds from him that really hasnt been heard in a while. There's no great, super well written song, but they are fun, and Mize has a way of making songs fun, even if they arent exactly poetry.(31/50)

71lAh7yWeKL._SS500_.jpg

Welcome back to country music. Dan Tyminski from Oh Brother Where Art Thou? fame did a little journey into electronic music and fusing it with his bluegrass gothic style, and I enjoyed it, but Im glad he is back to his roots. This is really only four new songs with a country version of his hit Hey Brother. Its a solid album, and it could have probably been a little higher if there were another good song or two on the EP. I love the country version of Hey Brother. Huckleberry is the best new song. Its a southern gothic good vs evil song. We've heard it before, but Tyminski just has a way with these types of songs.(31/50)

71XgTw3IHuL._SS500_.jpg

The song Its Your Fault is the reason this album is this high. There is too much production, but it still allows Carmichael's strong voice to shine. With its production, and his voice, it could be a hit on country radio. The rest of the album just really does nothing for me. Dillon is a traditional artist, and thats how he got noticed. He now has a record deal with a Nashville label, and this EP is what was released. The music doesnt fit his sound, and I hope his career isnt derailed by a mistake like this.(31/50)

91Tm73XS09L._SS500_.jpg

Over the past couple of years, Wolfe has become one of the more popular male artists in Texas country, and this small EP is hopefully just a small bridge to a new album soon. The lead single of the EP is Some Ol' Bar in the 90s. One of the biggest songs of the year in Texas. It's just what you expect. Just nostalgia. Got to mention Tracy Lawrence here. Dale Earnhart there. The pandering doesnt just happen in Nashville.  Wolfe is full of style of substance with this album. The style isnt all bad, otherwise the album wouldnt be this high. The music is 90s country. Its just that we heard this exact same thing in the 1990s.(31/50)

91bkM3qCv5L._SS500_.jpg

Hardy is riding the success of Rednecker off his 2018 EP. He also released this EP back at the beginning of 2019. I did not review the 2018 album, but this newest one is much better. I think Hardy has started to really find his sound with this EP, or he is starting to keep the better songs for himself since he is going full steam as a solo artist now. Hardy might be the ring leader of this new evolved popular country sound. A more 90s sound, but its mixed with the hard guitars and percussion, giving us our new redneck country. Mullets. Mustaches. I like it, and I think its going to have a big impact of popular country music.(33/50)

81tkDbPCRrL._SS500_.jpg

Panorama was the first EP released by Hurd this year, and it is definitely the better one. You see water up against land on the cover of the album, and the sound of this album has that airy and open sound that Ive heard a lot more of this year, and its something I really like. This is the type of pop country that I like. Refreshing sounds that blend well with the country sound, and lyrics that are good enough, and not full of retread metaphors. I hope Hurd realizes that this is his better sound, and he puts out a full album. This is Ruston Kelly light.(37/50)

61Y7+-4d4kL._SS500_.jpg

Triston Marez is another artist that decided to release two EPs this year. Until I Found You was just released a couple months ago. Marez is a newer Texas artist, but he has been known for a more traditional sound so far, but in this new EP, he cranks it up another notch. I would compare it to George Strait and his character Dusty in Pure Country. Its still the same country music, it just has a much more pronounced electric guitar. Thats the first song. In the second song, he goes right back to his bread and butter. A slow heartbreak song. Overall, I like that he tried something new. It has lots of promise, but its not quite there yet. The stuff he does really well on the album is what got him to this point.(38/50)

8184SWUYfkL._SS500_.jpg

Fairground Saints is a trio from California in Nashville playing their own brand of country music, and for the most part, I really dig it. They have the quentisential beach sound along with a great harmony. Im really impressed that the group had enough restraint to not go too far into that pop Jack Johnson, Colbie Callait sound. They keep a good balance on the sound. The star of the trio is definitely Megan McAllister. She is the lead singer, and she has a great way of conveying emotions with her voice. California is the obvious hit here. Best song on the album, and one of my favorites this year. The reason Magic comes in at #5 is because on Never Gonna Let You Go and How It Rolls, they let someone other than McAllister sing lead, and those songs are an obvious downgrade.(40/50)

71Ds+OXJUNL._SS500_.jpg

We were supposed to FINALLY get a full length follow up from Maddie & Tae this year, but their label is terrible at marketing them, and instead released two EPs. One was released in the spring and this one, Everywhere I'm Going, was released this fall. Im not sure if these are all the songs on the album, but the record label missed out big. These EPs are just fantastic. Some of the best music of the year. Period. Im going to get this out of the way. The sexy love song with Dierks Bentley just was a little weird. Thats a really big age difference. Overall, these five songs perfectly show just who Maddie & Tae is, and that is two amazingly talented country singers that should be selling out arenas.(44/50)

71MslK3kMLL._SS500_.jpg

Did I mention Colbie Callait earlier? Well thats for a reason. Gone West is her new country vocal group. If Little Big Town grew up on a California beach, Gone West would be what you got. There is one actual country musician in this group. Nelly Joy was one half of the JaneDear Girls. You could really make a comparison with Fairground Saints, but Gone West is much more adult sounding. The group sounds like they have been together for years. Their voices blend together perfectly. Take a listen to Confetti. If you arent smiling or tapping your feet to this song, then you might be dead. The song is about celebrating a breakup, and is just infectious, like Gone West.(45/50)

61Nh-tjdHSL._SS500_.jpg

Back in January, a gentleman by the name of Triston Marez released his first EP. He was pretty much brand new to the Texas scene other than two previous singles in the past two years. I found out about him through twitter. Turquoise Twitter was all ablaze with this new good lookin guy singing love songs that would make George Strait proud. But it was a heartbreak song that caused me to raise an eyebrow. Where Rivers Are Red and Cowboys Are Blue is a song about a man wishing that his former love would leave her new life and come back to him in Texas. The fiddle and the steel  twang throughout the song. The song is about as close to perfection that you can get. We might be hearing a lot more from Marez soon. He has signed a publishing deal in Nashville, so some of his songs could be going places.(45/50)

71OM5fe7USL._SS500_.jpg

One Heart To Another was released back in April. I've never been female in my life. Im not in my early 20s. So, I am not the person for these ladies music. This album is #1 this year because these amazing artists can take me and transport me, and make me feel their heartbreak. Their love. Just any emotion. Friends Dont was released as the first single, but the song Die From a Broken Heart was either released with it, or soon after. Friends Dont is a good song. I think it could be a single, but Die From a Broken Heart was resonating with girls. This song was being asked for. People were calling radio stations for it. What does Mercury Nashville do? Nothing. Friends Dont was still the single. Thats how clueless the record company is. There is a large audience out there waiting for these girls. They just need someone to believe in them.(47/50)

• Like 1

Im going to break up my favorite songs this year. Im going to do all songs. A song doesnt have to be a single to be on the list this year. I am going to start with my favorite songs from EPs this year. 14 of the 26 EPs reviewed feature songs on the list.

25.Matt Stell-Prayed for You
24.Steven James & The Jaded-The Piney Woods
23.Jon Langston-Now You Know
22.Fairground Saints-Somewhere Down The Line
21.Jon Wolfe-Some Ol Bar in the 90s