Look for Clinton Dix extension soon!

Deekster37

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

This is a depressing journey we're headed down right now.  You'd think after Adams and Randall bouncing back, people would take a little more time to turn on Packers who have bad years. 

I dont think its anything quite as dramatic as people turning on players. People are simply pointing out the obvious - that HHCD's game has suffered. His on the field performance has declined. Was that system (?) personal effort (?) and depending on those factors, is his return to better play worth rolling the dice on? Thats where the discussion lies IMO.

Ronnie Lott he never was (or will be) and his "closing speed" isnt extraordinary IMO - but he has shown a knack to be in the right place at the right time. A bum he's not......except last year. He wasnt getting a whole bunch done last year. 

Personally I'm hopeful the new DC can revive his interest and effort. We need it.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Expecting Clinton-Dix to be a hitter is like expecting a 5 foot 8 running back to be capable of power football.  Some safeties are hitters.  Some aren't.  Having said that, one person points to a lack of hitting in one Dallas game, I can point to hitting in another.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/pictures/ha-sean-clinton-dix-8284247#ha-ha-clintondix-of-the-green-bay-packers-tackles-terrance-williams-picture-id631774234

Some safeties are coverage safeties, some are hitters.  Few excel at both. 

This is a depressing journey we're headed down right now.  You'd think after Adams and Randall bouncing back, people would take a little more time to turn on Packers who have bad years. 

Hey spin doctor.  I said I recently watched the Dallas game again, later in the post I suggested you watch more games from last year instead of the argument for how he performed in the last two games.  I didn't say there was a lack of hitting in one Dallas game, I said he had more WTF moments than anyone else. 

You've been doing that a lot lately to people's posts.  Dix had a bad year all the way around.  Maybe he bounces back maybe he was never that good. Who knows?  Randall and Adams suffered nagging injuries that led to classic sophomore slumps.  Dix' bad year was his third year and there was no injury ever mentioned.  Okay? Just a little different.  Twist away!

Just now, Leader said:

Ronnie Lott he never was (or will be) and his "closing speed" isnt extraordinary IMO - but he has shown a knack to be in the right place at the right time. A bum he's not......except last year. He wasnt getting a whole bunch done last year.

Who was?  Our entire secondary had 10 interceptions last year.  Clinton-Dix had three of them. 

He also had 79 tackles to lead our secondary.  He also played in all 16 games last year.  He also played 99.2% of the defensive snaps.  That's not a made up number.  That's true.  He played 1121 snaps.  That's more than Blake Martinez.  As a matter of fact, Clinton-Dix played more snaps than any player on our entire team last year. 

There.  Is.  No.  Case. 

Clinton-Dix did not give up, he did not pack it in.  If he did, there would be actual evidence instead of alleged missed opportunities to lay the wood.  One single play that looks bad in the final game of the season.  He had a crap angle.  It's not like he was right in front of Galladay and stepped aside.  He had a horrible angle, made a horrible attempt at a tackle. 

People are suggesting that Clinton-Dix packed it in, quit, didn't play... Blah blah blah.  It's BS.  He played more snaps than anybody on our defense last year and made more plays in the secondary than anybody but Randall.  This Clinton-Dix bashing is worse than stupid. 

Just now, Dubz41 said:

Hey spin doctor.  I said I recently watched the Dallas game again, later in the post I suggested you watch more games from last year instead of the argument for how he performed in the last two games.  I didn't say there was a lack of hitting in one Dallas game, I said he had more WTF moments than anyone else.

You literally said this:

He is not a leader and he is NOT a hitter.

I've never once suggested Clinton-Dix had a good year.  He had a bad year.  I'm upset with people suggesting Clinton-Dix quit on the team.  Admittedly, I took some of that frustration out on you.  My bad.  Clinton-Dix did NOT quit on his team, and my post previous to this one proves that.  You don't lead your team in snaps, lead your secondary in tackles, come second in interceptions on the team if you gave up on your team.

Clinton-Dix had a bad year.  Relative to the rest of our secondary, he did not have a bad year.  People gotta quit crapping on Clinton-Dix. 

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Who was?  Our entire secondary had 10 interceptions last year.  Clinton-Dix had three of them. 

He also had 79 tackles to lead our secondary.  He also played in all 16 games last year.  He also played 99.2% of the defensive snaps.  That's not a made up number.  That's true.  He played 1121 snaps.  That's more than Blake Martinez.  As a matter of fact, Clinton-Dix played more snaps than any player on our entire team last year. 

There.  Is.  No.  Case. 

Clinton-Dix did not give up, he did not pack it in.  If he did, there would be actual evidence instead of alleged missed opportunities to lay the wood.  One single play that looks bad in the final game of the season.  He had a crap angle.  It's not like he was right in front of Galladay and stepped aside.  He had a horrible angle, made a horrible attempt at a tackle. 

People are suggesting that Clinton-Dix packed it in, quit, didn't play... Blah blah blah.  It's BS.  He played more snaps than anybody on our defense last year and made more plays in the secondary than anybody but Randall.  This Clinton-Dix bashing is worse than stupid. 

I said his play declined. Sorry to have pushed the wrong button, but I believe its accurate. I also said he''s not a bum and I'm hopeful the new DC can get his production levels to where they were previous. Thats all. I dont involved myself in monetary valuations of players. Its not my money and I'm more than happy to leave that to the folks at 1265. I just consider their output based on what I see.

Just now, Leader said:

I said his play declined. Sorry to have pushed the wrong button,

I'm not even reacting to you.  There was somebody else who tried using one Lions game play to prove that Clinton-Dix quit.  That was some BS, and it's got me touchy about Clinton-Dix in general. 

but I believe its accurate. I also said he''s not a bum and I'm hopeful the new DC can get his production levels to where they were previous. Thats all. I dont involved myself in monetary valuations of players. Its not my money and I'm more than happy to leave that to the folks at 1265. I just consider their output based on what I see.

Yeah, his play declined.  It declined a lot.  Some people say that was all on Clinton-Dix.  I say that's BS.  We lost Peppers and replaced him with frickin Fackrell.  Matthews/Perry switched time playing hurt again.  Our secondary was once again down to two NFL-quality cornerbacks for a second straight year.  And our crap coordinator Capers didn't exactly help.  For all we know, Clinton-Dix was hurt.  For all we know, Capers told him to stay back a billion yards because he kept putting guys like Hawkins into the lineup. 

Still, as bad as he looked, he rated out as an average safety.  A few people are acting like he's a lost cause, like once crap, always crap.  It's just a really stupid mentality to have, ESPECIALLY in light of us having, what... Two straight years of players going from worst to first as far as performers at their position?  It just gets obnoxious.  It is incredibly hard to have the years Clinton-Dix had two years ago.  Harder when the rest of the team sucks as much as it did two years ago.  Clinton-Dix has talent.  It didn't show up last year.  That is not indicative of a career. 

Right now I think HHCD is a wait and see.  While he's shown that he can play at an all pro level he's also shown that he can play terrible for long, extended periods of time.  For the better part of last year he wasn't much more than JAG who played uninspired, bad football.  He was part of the reason our secondary was as bad as it was. 

I'd much rather see him play well and overpay for an all pro caliber player than pay a JAG like he's a pro bowler.  HHCD is going to be expensive either way IMO.  There is no way I extend him right now unless it's an extremely team friendly deal.

6 minutes ago, SSG said:

Right now I think HHCD is a wait and see.  While he's shown that he can play at an all pro level he's also shown that he can play terrible for long, extended periods of time.  For the better part of last year he wasn't much more than JAG who played uninspired, bad football.  He was part of the reason our secondary was as bad as it was. 

I'd much rather see him play well and overpay for an all pro caliber player than pay a JAG like he's a pro bowler.  HHCD is going to be expensive either way IMO.  There is no way I extend him right now unless it's an extremely team friendly deal.

You extend him now, you get a team friendly deal, you extend him later you pay market value. Just like Adams, he bet on himself, and cashed in.

If you wait for HHCD to prove last year was a fluke, you pay for him at his highest level. Now is actually a great time to extend him.

You have to think they've talked to him, probably several times, about his play, attitude, body language. They probably have a good feel what caused all that and if it was him being mad at his role, they'll probably look to do the best they can within reason to keep him happy and playing back where he was. I have no fear signing him now, I just don't think he'll want to.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You extend him now, you get a team friendly deal, you extend him later you pay market value. Just like Adams, he bet on himself, and cashed in.

If you wait for HHCD to prove last year was a fluke, you pay for him at his highest level. Now is actually a great time to extend him.

Assuming this is a one year fluke.   If the assumption is wrong you've still got the major hole in the back end of your defense and less salary cap space to use because you've signed a bad player to a contract substantially more than he's worth.  I don't like the idea of throwing away and completely ignoring the most recent product HHCD has put forth on the field.  Its also a  bad president.  You are giving HHCD a massive award for putrid effort and a terrible product.  He was part of our defensive problem in 2017.

Its a risk either way.  I prefer signing a player based on his play, not hope.

Just now, SSG said:

Assuming this is a one year fluke.   If the assumption is wrong you've still got the major hole in the back end of your defense and less salary cap space to use because you've signed a bad player to a contract substantially more than he's worth.  I don't like the idea of throwing away and completely ignoring the most recent product HHCD has put forth on the field.  Its also a  bad president.  You are giving HHCD a massive award for putrid effort and a terrible product.  He was part of our defensive problem in 2017.

Its a risk either way.  I prefer signing a player based on his play, not hope.

That's fine, you're just going to pay top dollar then.

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Which I'm ok with.  I'd rather pay top dollar for an all pro than pay pro bowl caliber money for JAG (Which I assume is likely a 3-4 million per year difference).  JMHO though.  I see the advantage of signing HHCD right now but I'm not sure the risk is worth it given how terrible he looked last year.

It would have to be an extremely team friendly deal for me to ignore his 2017 season.  Heck, we don't even know how he's going to fit into the new DC's scheme.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

We have seen way more good play from HHCD than we have seen bad play. Like you said, the time is now to extend him. Buy low!! With Rodgers new $600,0000,000,0000,000,000 (this may be off a couple bucks) deal coming soon, the Packers have to be creative and aggressive signing guys early to keep cap hits down.

HHCD, so far has been JAG and looking confused more often than not, eminently replaceable. Bad angles, poor tackling, and trouble locating the ball in the air, watches guys catch the ball instead of making a play on the ball, if he is even in the vicinity. Unless he shows a major turn around under the new DC I am ready to move on, another case of overvaluing our guys.

16 minutes ago, Redt said:

HHCD, so far has been JAG and looking confused more often than not, eminently replaceable. Bad angles, poor tackling, and trouble locating the ball in the air, watches guys catch the ball instead of making a play on the ball, if he is even in the vicinity. Unless he shows a major turn around under the new DC I am ready to move on, another case of overvaluing our guys.

You're describing 2017 HHCD. 2016 HHCD was anything but just a guy. 2014-2015 He was above average for a youngster, but he really took a step in 2016.

Archived