The Offseason target  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most prefer?

• Dez Bryant
    • Jordy Nelson
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Sammy Watkins

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Same. I think Crabtree will be fine as the vet in the locker room. We need to spend the remaining roster spots for WR getting younger and just better overall.

I think we could easily sign a not-overly-pricey FA and still have room for a high pick at WR.  The team talked about changing a lot of the faces in the receiver room, so I don't see two more additions outside the realm of possibility.

4 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I think we could easily sign a not-overly-pricey FA and still have room for a high pick at WR.  The team talked about changing a lot of the faces in the receiver room, so I don't see two more additions outside the realm of possibility.

Yeah if we sign another FA it's gotta be someone young, I should've clarified that.

I’d easily take Dez Bryant depending on the money. Most of these receiver deals are only 2-3 year deals anyway, so their age means absolutely nothing to me.

Who is going to be the most successful player over the next 2-3 years between Dez and one of these other players? Bryant still occasionally commands double teams, he has an impact, he’s a red zone threat.

Between Dez and Crabtree our red zone offense could really progress. Then we could rotate John Brown/rookie in and out of the slot. With Brown being more injury prone because of his condition, that could be a responsible way to use him to allow him to last the whole season.

With Crabtree in play, we could truly go BPA in the draft, build up that OL and running game, plus add an ILB and we’re a better version of the 2016 Cowboys.

7 hours ago, EastsideEZ said:

What would u be willing to give up for Odell Beckham Jr.... He appears to be wearing out his welcome in New York 

Nothing. I’d rather have the chance to draft an elite talent at #16 and have them on a cheap deal for 5 years than to trade significant resources for and still have to afford to pay OBJ an average of what said rookie might cost over the life of his initial contract ($20m+).

If we draft Roquan Smith and he turns out to be the next Derrick Brooks type player, why would I not want that over a receiver who clearly cares more about partying and advancing his global brand than about winning football games.??‍♀️

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

As good as he is, I'm not sure he's worth the contract he's asking for - especially when you factor in that he's a bit of a headcase 

Give me every damn bit of that head case if he's putting up the numbers he is. I don't care. This franchise is desperate for a playmaker and superstar like him.

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Nothing. I’d rather have the chance to draft an elite talent at #16 and have them on a cheap deal for 5 years than to trade significant resources for and still have to afford to pay OBJ an average of what said rookie might cost over the life of his initial contract ($20m+).

If we draft Roquan Smith and he turns out to be the next Derrick Brooks type player, why would I not want that over a receiver who clearly cares more about partying and advancing his global brand than about winning football games.??‍♀️

I love Smith as prospect him next to Mosley would give us what 9ers had with Willis and Bowman but I also don’t think he gets to 16... I an elite receiver very bad... I hope this is finally the year we get one 

24 minutes ago, EastsideEZ said:

I love Smith as prospect him next to Mosley would give us what 9ers had with Willis and Bowman but I also don’t think he gets to 16... I an elite receiver very bad... I hope this is finally the year we get one 

In the mock draft section I created, what I feel to be a realistic scenario as to how Roquan Smith falls. I really wasn’t the biggest fan of his initially for the reasons of his weaknesses, but when he turns it on, he displays a level of dominance that I’ve seen from very few defensive players.

Its no secret that the NFL is to a large degree about ideal H/W/S, freaks, templates, established norms, and copycats. It’s why I think both Calvin Ridley and Roquan Smith have a greater potential to fall some. Because while talented, they don’t conform to established norms for success. Ridley much more than Smith. But the point remains the same.

In terms of elite receiver, I want one as well. But trading a first round pick in addition to paying $20m for one doesn’t seem smart IMO. And the draft doesn’t appear to have a WR with that obvious elite makeup. The only chance we have it seems in the draft is finding an Antonio Brown diamond in the rough player, but that’s probably the most unlikely scenario of them all.

I hate sounding defeatist but my hope has turned to a more realistic scenario where we can find an elite TE. We’ve had some really good ones before so finding an elite one seems more reasonable somehow. Maybe that can be a Dallas Goedert.

Archived