The Offseason target  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most prefer?

• Dez Bryant
    • Jordy Nelson
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Sammy Watkins

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Flacco being better than those other guys doesn't mean he's good. It just means this franchise has had a horrendous history of QB's.

You don't win a chip without him. Facts.

If he more clutch players who could catch around him, he might be a 3x champion, but the world may never know. I just hope he gets cut after this year and completely spin up somewhere else. You don't even understand how giddy that would make me. Like, please God. lol

There is an overview of our salaries on each position group on the official Ravens website. Outside of Flacco (who ranks ninth) our offense is in the absolute bottom at each position. The defense on the other hand is mostly in the middle of the league or at the top. The results we got from that defense compared to the offense, that was absolutely atrocius. Dean Pees defense managed to do less with more, while the offense in the end managed to do more with less.

If we want a balanced team, we have to go offense in this draft as injuries to key positions could hurt the offense more than the defense, where we drafted potentiel heirs and current backups.

23 minutes ago, Danand said:

There is an overview of our salaries on each position group on the official Ravens website. Outside of Flacco (who ranks ninth) our offense is in the absolute bottom at each position. The defense on the other hand is mostly in the middle of the league or at the top. The results we got from that defense compared to the offense, that was absolutely atrocius. Dean Pees defense managed to do less with more, while the offense in the end managed to do more with less.

If we want a balanced team, we have to go offense in this draft as injuries to key positions could hurt the offense more than the defense, where we drafted potentiel heirs and current backups.

While I agree with this, outside of offensive tackle, if we stay put at #16, I think it just might be the smartest option to go defense. The elite talent of the draft just seems like that’s where we would benefit the most.

Not surprising. Gronkowski is done not getting payed what he deserves and playing in an uptight situation. When they were winning he tolerated it, but now with the dynasty winding down and the coach willing to sacrifice a ring to prove a point he's over it. He isn't getting traded to us, that's for sure, but maybe the Saints will give up a 1st for him. The Patriots need a lot right now and I guess the best TE in football is a luxury they're willing to sacrifice to help sure up some other more important deficiencies like maybe LT.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:31 PM, Danand said:

Absolutely agree that the resource allocation has been heavily slanted to the defense. You can't overstate how crazy it was that we went defense with our top4 picks after signing Jefferson and Carr, while adding no offensive skill players given how already slanted the talent ratio was.

That said, I don't necessarily think we need to be a balanced team. Some/many disagree here but I thought the defense did play to the level it should for the most part. I think it's going to be easier to improve the team overall by giving the offense a viable weapon or two than by making the defense marginally more talented to cover up another hole or two. But, I don't think we need a huge shift to a balanced team.

My overall feeling is based on my belief that if you replay last season 10 times just resetting fluke events like injuries and bounces, we make the playoffs 7-8 times out of 10.

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Absolutely agree that the resource allocation has been heavily slanted to the defense. You can't overstate how crazy it was that we went defense with our top4 picks after signing Jefferson and Carr, while adding no offensive skill players given how already slanted the talent ratio was.

That said, I don't necessarily think we need to be a balanced team. Some/many disagree here but I thought the defense did play to the level it should for the most part. I think it's going to be easier to improve the team overall by giving the offense a viable weapon or two than by making the defense marginally more talented to cover up another hole or two. But, I don't think we need a huge shift to a balanced team.

My overall feeling is based on my belief that if you replay last season 10 times just resetting fluke events like injuries and bounces, we make the playoffs 7-8 times out of 10.

The defense had the big issue, that they weren't concistent and fell apart when missing either Brandon Williams or Jimmy Smith. While they had 4 shutouts (mostly against backups) they produced against weaker quarterbacks and in the 2 games where the defense really had to show something, they fell apart - both in division games.

The worst was still the Bears game, where a non-existent passing game still was enough for the Bears to win as the defense couldn't stop the run.

The shutouts didn't do much in the actual games. Its not like we won 10-0. The positive was, that the defense never led those teams back in the game by giving up either a huge play or the like.

However, if the salary is slanted 30/70 in the defenses favor, its a bad investment if it can't do more in games than they did against the Steelers and Bengals.

As of now, the backups we have on offense is so much worse than on defense, which is why I think we should do as much as we can to bolster the offensive side of the ball.

9 minutes ago, Danand said:

However, if the salary is slanted 30/70 in the defenses favor, its a bad investment if it can't do more in games than they did against the Steelers and Bengals.

Pees's incompetence has to be factored in. 

I don't believe in the concept of games that matter for the regular season  We needed to win one more game. If you look at the season as a whole, that 3-4 start was the stretch that kept us out of the playoffs. Outside the total debacle in Jacksonville, that losing record was largely the fault of the offense. Yes, inability to adjust to one absense was gross, but bigger picture, the primary factor in losing to the Bears was the offense. It's not even close.

Go look at the drive chart for that game. Seriously, go do it. The evaluation of the team is incredibly poorly framed if you can look at it and place more than 1% of the blame on the defense.

This is why I weigh DVOA and drive stats, so much. In the 14 regulation drives, not counting end of half kneel down, the Ravens defense forced 9 punts, got 2 turnovers and allowed a total of 17 points. One of those touchdowns was set up by a turnover that gave then the ball at our 20. Even then the 1.214 points per drive we allowed is lower than the 2017 Cleveland Browns rate. But of course, the headline/takeaway from many of the "people who actually watched the game" will be "INABILITY TO STOP THE RUN DOOMS RAVENS"

While the offense... when you take away the special teams TDs... And add the pick6... Sigh.... Again, I'm going to need you guys to literally take the 15 seconds and look at that drive chart. I need you to remember how awful the offense truly was.

I'm not sure how you can blame the offense for the season when going into the season everyone knew they were going to be piss poor, AND going into the Bengals game we had a 97% chance of making the playoffs, and then ultimately our defense couldn't get one stop on one play.

You can go back and pinpoint anything you want, but ultimately the defense is what cost us our season this year because they couldn't close out games down the stretch (to the surprise of actually nobody).

20 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

You can go back and pinpoint anything you want, but ultimately the defense is what cost us our season this year because they couldn't close out games down the stretch (to the surprise of actually nobody).

What you are doing is pinpointing. Stuff like "clutch plays" at the end of "games that matter". That kind of cherry picking is what I disagree with. I'm saying look at the entire game/season. That's the opposite of pinpointing. One unit performed very well and another was terrible for half a season and middle of the pack for the other half. How is it I am pinpointing, but you are not?

In a discussion about moves for next year, I'm not "blaming" the offense. I'm saying it needs to be improved. And that the defense will likely be more than fine without much help. So, I don't know why expectations going into last season for the offense are important. Let's expect it to be better this year.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

What you are doing is pinpointing. Stuff like "clutch plays" at the end of "games that matter". That kind of cherry picking is what I disagree with. I'm saying look at the entire game/season. That's the opposite of pinpointing. One unit performed very well and another was terrible for half a season and middle of the pack for the other half. How is it I am pinpointing, but you are not?

In a discussion about moves for next year, I'm not "blaming" the offense. I'm saying it needs to be improved. And that the defense will likely be more than fine without much help. So, I don't know why expectations going into last season for the offense are important. Let's expect it to be better this year.

Because ultimately the season came down to one series, where we had virtually 100% chance of winning and making the playoffs, and one unit blew it and it wasn't the offense. I don't see what relevance that defensive collapse has to how the offense performed week 1. We still overcame those offensive struggles and ended up in a position with our own destiny in our hands and a virtual lock to be in the postseason but the defense crapped the bed again to close out a game, and here we are. 

I'm just saying it's hard to really "blame" the offense for last year. Everyone knew they were going to be atrocious. That was the expectation.

Archived