diamondbull424

The Offseason target  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most prefer?

• Dez Bryant
    • Jordy Nelson
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Sammy Watkins

I agree with @wackywabbit about the point that our offense lost the Bengals game more than the defense.

In terms of resources, the defense has enough resources that should develop into a better unit. That said, I do feel that it still lacks that one obviously elite playmaker. It has a bunch of Hall of Really good type of players on it and no HOF level talents outside of MAYBE Terrell Suggs.

So if a defensive player that possesses elite level defensive potential falls, regardless of position, I would take that player. Because outside of Connor Williams, Quenton Nelson and Saquan Barkley, I don’t see there being any offensive players that are obviously elite.

Closest I see on offense are DJ Moore’s potential, Nick Chubb, Dallas Goedert, and Derrius Guice.

So to the initial point. I do think the offense should be the focal point of this draft, which I think everyone pretty much agrees with here. I only differ in that I think an elite defender in round one or perhaps a defender with an elite trait (that could develop into elite) later in the draft would convince me to go defense instead of offense. All things considered equal though (players without elite trait/potential) then I would go offense. Because it requires the most assistance and depth.

I’d go for him. This looks like a clear indication that the Giants might be clearing space for Dez Bryant.

And is Brandon Marshall the same player he was in his prime? Likely not, but he’s two years removed from a 1500 yds season and one year removed from a Dez Bryant-esq 800 yd receiving season. He had a down injury plagued year with the Giants, but they had OL issues and were a mess all over. The way I see it, worst case scenario Marshall will be a mature veteran that can help guide young rookies, best case scenario he returns to form and is a 1000 yds receiver. He has the most 100 reception seasons in NFL history and has reliable hands, he likely wouldn’t reach that  number with us but he knows how to create enough space and is physical enough that he can give us a big chain moving threat and another red zone option.

I know he’s 33 years old, but receivers have been very productive at that age before. I say give him a two year contract. He’s going to likely be looking for a ring as he’s trying to sweeten his chances of making the HOF. I honestly like the Crabtree/Marshall combo more than the Crabtree/Bryant combo. He’s older, but he’s absolutely more mature and his priorities are on HOF and super bowl.

That all said, he probably goes to the Patriots.

Good we've applied three band aids to a team wound. Now we need to spend some expensive draft capital, heal it completely, and strengthen the group for the future. Will we?, I dunno. I'm having flashes of us once again just taking a 4th round WR and two years from now some rookie QB on our team has his own band aids.

What it took for our offense to function at a level high enough to win a Super Bowl-

QB: (1st round pick) Joe Flacco - Magic in the playoffs.

HB: (2nd round pick) Ray Rice- On his last good-great legs but still a big play threat and best dump off option in the league. (3rd round pick) Bernard Pierce- A one hit wonder for us but well worth the selection, his break at least one tackle every play dynamism was key to our run.

FB: (Undrafted) Vonta Leach- The best fullback in the league, helped pave the way for both runners.

WR: (2nd round pick) Torrey Smith- The best deep threat in the league, also had chemistry with Flacco. (2nd round pick) Anquan Boldin- The strongest hands in the league, conversion king. (Round 3) Jacoby Jones- Best returner in the league, and electric 4th option in the passing game.

TE: (4th round pick) Dennis Pitta- Above average to Good presence whose output was increased by the strong chemistry he had with Flacco. 

The offensive line at the time speaks for itself but didn't solidify until the playoffs really. Everyone knows, McKinnie stepped up kicked Oher to his natural position, KO and Yanda became the best guard tandem in the league(1&2) at the position, and Birk solid veteraned himself into a ring.

Now obviously high picks don't always equate to success or offensive potency(Perriman&Maxx) but they're certainly your best shot at it. It's a common misconception in the football verse that we won our last ring with a crazy defense, and that just isn't true. Raven's fans know that isn't the case, but even some of the hard cores still view our skill position players at the time as a rag tag group they in no way were. Yes we piled together some veterans but they had clear cut top of the league elite attributes/skills that gave us a dynamic attack.

In a league now even more favorable towards and dependent on offense we can't justify repeatedly trying to build a core with scrap heap FAs and mid round long shots. Great, we have a QB that can get a little more out of less sexy options in the passing game and steps up in the playoffs. That's why we paid him. Why though does that advantage always have to be so malnourished? It's like having a fighter that can perform well even if he doesn't train or follow the coaches game plan. That's a great base advantage to fall back on, but it doesn't mean you want him to always put him in that position. 

Also, those are Flacco's selling points(Which are becoming harder to find evidence of too). Will they be our next QB's? The team is in a really good place at key positions, pass rusher, corner back, left tackle. Which makes us in perfect place to finally start building up a good core for Flacco's final run and our next QBs start at one. We've stopped the bleeding we don't have to force a WR in the 1st, but we never had to do that. We can't justify not selecting one in the first 2-3 rounds though, it would just be poor franchise management. Strategy, common sense, and a volatile fan base are all calling for a change in approach. Let's see if there is one.

Archived