Players refusing to play in Preseason

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:
8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Preseason in general is stupid.

How many preseason games do college teams play?  High school?

Why do guys who’ve played both high school and college football successfully without preseason games now need FOUR of them?

Preseaon isn’t about “getting players ready” or “building a roster”, it’s about preseason ticket sales. A fraction of the product at full price.

Are you seriously comparing HS to the NFL.  We also had 2 a days in HS something the NFL doesnt have anymore.  

College also keeps 90 players where the NFL has to cut over a 1/3 of them. 

Yes the NFL wants extra money but the Coaches and FO's also need the evaluation period to trim the fat to the 53 man roster. Otherwise majority of the UDFA, lat Rd draft picks wouldn't have a chance in hell.

Corey Clement isn't a Eagle without last years Preseason Games. Jake Elliot is Never a Eagle without his PS work in Indy. Nor do the Eagles win the SB most likely without either contribution.

That's why you need Preseason Games. I bet there are just as many if not more (love to see the Statistics) Players getting Season ending Injuries in Practice going 1/2 speed, then actual games.

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

College also keeps 90 players where the NFL has to cut over a 1/3 of them. 

Yes the NFL wants extra money but the Coaches and FO's also need the evaluation period to trim the fat to the 53 man roster. Otherwise majority of the UDFA, lat Rd draft picks wouldn't have a chance in hell.

Corey Clement isn't a Eagle without last years Preseason Games. Nor do the Eagles win the SB most likely without his contribution.

That's why you need Preseason Games. I bet there are just as many if not more (love to see the Statistics) Players getting Season ending Injuries in Practice going 1/2 speed, then actual games.

Or expanded rosters.... but only one makes money I suppose.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As far as preparing for the first game of the year? Sure. Why not? You think OBJ forgot how to run a slant over the spring?  

These guys are professionals who have been playing the game for years, decades in most cases, they don’t need a month of scrimages (that most players only play a small portion of) before the games can actually count.

Bless your heart if you think they need that much time.  It’s all about money.  Always has been, always will.  If the league wanted a “better product” or teams more prepared, they’d allow for more contact time with coaches year round, expanded rosters, etc.  

The league wants 4 additional weeks of ticket sales, concession sales, advertising revenue, etc.

You realize that the coaches access to players, practice time and roster size are all collectively bargained right.  Players have negotiated to the point they basically get 15 hours of padded practices before the start of the season.  We had that many in less than a week into camp in hs.  Preseason while it makes money also serves a purpose.

7 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You realize that the coaches access to players, practice time and roster size are all collectively bargained right.  Players have negotiated to the point they basically get 15 hours of padded practices before the start of the season.  We had that many in less than a week into camp in hs.  Preseason while it makes money also serves a purpose.

It’s almost as if the players feel they have enough time to prepare.....

I actually think more players should do this. If teams could focus on inter-squad practices - where starters and stars could get the needed reps to get warmed up - more teams can use preseason games to evaluate bubble players.

Odell looks likes he holding out if everything, and he's probably in a position to do so, given his injury and lack of a long term deal.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s almost as if the players feel they have enough time to prepare.....

No, if you ask any player they will tell you, they just dont like camp.  They are grown men and practice sucks.  Favre said when he retired the first time its not the games that are ever the issue.  Its the practices.  Players bargained them to nothing bc they dont like to do them, not bc they dont need them. Look at tackling the first few weeks of the season and then tell me the players had adequate time to prepare.

The NFL should just schedule all the non-conference games in the first 4 weeks. Those are the least important games and could be the "warm up" games before getting into the conference and divisional games. Then cut the preseason to 2 games. I think those games are still important for the young/depth players so they can get some experience and show what they can do.

10 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

First decision OBJ has made that I've ever liked.  I hope more players follow him and I hope this turns into the 2018 offseason controversy.  NFL controversies are 1,000 times better when they're actually about football. 

I really, really, really, really, really, really hope more players pick this as their soapbox issue.  Screw the NFL for preaching safety, then having 4 meaningless preseason games.

Don't give me "players need time to get their bodies ready for NFL games."  Change the CBA to allow simulated games in practice to get players ready.  Have quarterbacks wear red shirts up until the first regular season game. 

giphy.gif

The Pre-season exists for a variety of reasons (Profit, coaches need tape on players since players can look great in practice but suck on gameday, Younger Players do actually need reps and the ones that are trying to make the roster can put some decent plays together) 

I'd say we'd only need maybe 2 pre-season games at most for that though, any veteran player who will make the 53 should be able to sit out the preseason if they desire.

Meh, the coaches decide who to keep and who to cut from practice more than these fake games. I like the idea of keeping 1 just to back in the flow of playing football. If teams want more than 1 preseason game they can easily scrimmage each other for a few days which would be better anyway since it could be more controlled. 

19 minutes ago, youngosu said:

Meh, the coaches decide who to keep and who to cut from practice more than these fake games.

Tell that to Victor Cruz! He doesn't sniff the 2010 Giants roster/ possibly even the NFL without his 4 Preseason GM's. They literally earned him his career. Not the handful of Practice's you're suggesting. Just saying.

There are 100's of other examples of UDFA doing the same. Some eventually make the HOF because of those opportunities in "Live Action". Actual game play.

Archived