Players refusing to play in Preseason

gopherwrestler

On 25/02/2018 at 12:34 AM, Nabbs4u said:

Tell that to Victor Cruz! He doesn't sniff the 2010 Giants roster/ possibly even the NFL without his 4 Preseason GM's. They literally earned him his career. Not the handful of Practice's you're suggesting. Just saying.

There are 100's of other examples of UDFA doing the same. Some eventually make the HOF because of those opportunities in "Live Action". Actual game play.

Preseason games don't currently exist so bottom of the barrel guys can get a chance in the spotlight.... But they should.... But only these 20th to 70th best players.

Respectfully, this isn't even close to anything new. LaDainian Tomlinson didn't touch the ball a single time in the preseason after a random 55 yard touchdown in 2005. I guess the difference was Marty and company wouldn't let him play even though L.T. wanted too.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Preseason games don't currently exist so bottom of the barrel guys can get a chance in the spotlight.... But they should.... But only these 20th to 70th best players.

Disagree. With most Starters barely playing 3QT worth of snaps total in 4 GM's, it's exactly where players 45-90 get there shot.

How they perform in these games and Yes Practice dictate where they make it past each cut.

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

There is nothing in that article that suggests the Giants made the decision to keep Cruz based on preseason games and not what they saw in practice every day. That article talks about how fans found out who he was. 

Preseason is abomination. As a season ticket holder you are required to buy the games and at full price. 

Have 2 preseason games. Let them wear pads more in training camp.

Move on. Sooooo dumb having so many games. 

On 2/28/2018 at 7:56 AM, theuntouchable said:

And we normally had anywhere from 2 to 4 scrimmages as well. 

We had 1 scrimmage similar to a college spring game, but we had a preseason tournament we competed in as well.

Heres whats true.  When the NFL created the preseason it was never a "cash grab", you had players who literally did not play football from the end of the season until the beginning of the next one.  They had other jobs.  Camp was 6 weeks long full of 2 a days and sometimes 3 a days so that these guys could even get into shape.  Today thats not really an issue which is a large factor in why training camp has been negotiated down to the point where teams practice in pads maybe 10 times over the course of a month.  However as I stated earlier, you cant simulate game speed in practice.  The only way to get better and faster is to play in a live game versus a real opponent.  Preseason isnt for the top of the depth chart guys.  They go out get their reps and then go stand on the sidelines. Preseason is about the rookies and depth guys going out and putting on tape what they can do, not just for their own team, but every team in the league.  If you cut down preseason, you arent going to be really effecting the top guys, bc they are going to get their work in always.  You are really effecting the ability of the depth guys to showcase their talents for the whole league.

15 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

We had 1 scrimmage similar to a college spring game, but we had a preseason tournament we competed in as well.

Heres whats true.  When the NFL created the preseason it was never a "cash grab", you had players who literally did not play football from the end of the season until the beginning of the next one.  They had other jobs.  Camp was 6 weeks long full of 2 a days and sometimes 3 a days so that these guys could even get into shape.  Today thats not really an issue which is a large factor in why training camp has been negotiated down to the point where teams practice in pads maybe 10 times over the course of a month.  However as I stated earlier, you cant simulate game speed in practice.  The only way to get better and faster is to play in a live game versus a real opponent.  Preseason isnt for the top of the depth chart guys.  They go out get their reps and then go stand on the sidelines. Preseason is about the rookies and depth guys going out and putting on tape what they can do, not just for their own team, but every team in the league.  If you cut down preseason, you arent going to be really effecting the top guys, bc they are going to get their work in always.  You are really effecting the ability of the depth guys to showcase their talents for the whole league.

To add to that it would cut down their chance to get in reps in full pads to prepare for future play time should anyone go down with injury. 

On 3/8/2018 at 9:43 AM, theuntouchable said:

To add to that it would cut down their chance to get in reps in full pads to prepare for future play time should anyone go down with injury. 

On 3/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Both of these are not arguments for keeping a 4 game preseason (or even a preseason at all); they are arguments for creating some form of minor league. 

1 hour ago, The OUTLAW said:

I'm sure that players get paid to play in preseason therefore they will likely be docked a weeks pay for not playing. 

This was something I was thinking about in terms of Bell the other day. I've always thought of and heard of players being paid over the course of 16 weeks essentially outside of upfront bonuses or whatever, but how do they handle paying them for the entire preseason?

43 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

This was something I was thinking about in terms of Bell the other day. I've always thought of and heard of players being paid over the course of 16 weeks essentially outside of upfront bonuses or whatever, but how do they handle paying them for the entire preseason?

NFL players are paid per diems during camp and the preseason (veterans are like $1500 a week), their salary is paid out over the 17 weeks of the regular season so for someone like Bell they aren't losing much to sit out preseason. 

50 minutes ago, youngosu said:

NFL players are paid per diems during camp and the preseason (veterans are like $1500 a week), their salary is paid out over the 17 weeks of the regular season so for someone like Bell they aren't losing much to sit out preseason. 

Is that on top of their current salary? If I was on my final contract id never show up during the preseason again.

Archived