Players refusing to play in Preseason

gopherwrestler

2 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Is that on top of their current salary? If I was on my final contract id never show up during the preseason again.

I might be off by a few hundred bucks but yep. Preseason pay is quite small. 

That said, if you are under contract teams can fine you for not showing up which eats into your regular salary (although teams typically forgive such fines once the guy shows up anyway) but a guy like Bell who is unsigned should definitely wait till the end of preseason. 

2 hours ago, youngosu said:

I might be off by a few hundred bucks but yep. Preseason pay is quite small. 

That said, if you are under contract teams can fine you for not showing up which eats into your regular salary (although teams typically forgive such fines once the guy shows up anyway) but a guy like Bell who is unsigned should definitely wait till the end of preseason. 

Ah, so that's how it works. I wonder how big the fines would amount to.

9 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Ah, so that's how it works. I wonder how big the fines would amount to.

Teams can fine a player up to $30,000 per day. But again, they have to have a signed contract (Bell would not) and most teams end up forgiving the fines as part of whatever deal they reach to get the guy into camp so its a largely meaningless number. 

I do not think outside of rookies, there are any regulars who like playing preseason games, in fact if they all thought they could get away with it, they would all skip training camp and wait for the season to begin before doing a whole lot, except working out in the gym.

I do not think any of us fans really realize how beat up a pro football player is after each game, most of us, would not get out of bed for 2 weeks if they were in as much pain as a pro player is, never mind by the playoffs!!!

I once saw a TV show about the 'Bus', the old RB for the Steelers. After the game, he could not get out of bed for 2 days, by Wednesday, using the banister, he could get downstairs to eat. By Thursday, he could go to watch gamefilm for the next game and by Friday he was good for practice and able to perform on Sunday and then the next week started all over. Don't ask me what he did for a Thursday game after a Sunday game, the show didn't talk about that, but I can imagine how painful a Thursday game can be for a player after a Sunday game.

So yes, there is not a regular who would not skip training camp and the whole preseason if they could get away from it!!!

Archived