Tavarus McFadden the next Xavier Rhodes?

Deekster37

I do not think so, Xavier Rhodes was so fluid as a corner I thought from early on and is a lot more thick and has a more solid base to him.  McFadden is long as well but much more thin it seems and kind of disappointed this past year.  Still 1st round potential but most likely late if not early 2nd round.  Nice ball hawk though but was not as dominant as he should have been this past season.  Go from having 8 INTs as a sophomore than none as a junior is odd, and he had chances this past year it is not like teams did not throw his way, just did not make that many big time plays.  

But no I do not feel he is the next Xavier Rhodes.  

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

A weak CB class?

There is no question this year's CB class is weak compared to last year's class.  2017 CB class was stronger at the top and had much better depth in rounds 2-3.  At the top of this year's class I'm not seeing that lockdown #1 corner.  Josh Jackson is a one year wonder who was unknown before this season.  Also getting a ton of picks in one year of college doesn't really impress me.  If you're a great corner in college, people won't be throwing at you enough to get many picks.  Denzel Ward is undersized.  Big WRs will have a field day with him.  I believe Mike Hughes and Jaire Alexander are just good players not great.  I've compared them to Orlando Scandrick and Dre Bly.  Both were good corners but neither was really great.

Overall I just don't see that much talent this year at CB.  Especially when you look at what the rest of the 2018 draft class offers. 

19 hours ago, VanS said:

Nah.  Tavarus McFadden is the next Chris McAlister.

He's my #1 rated CB in this draft.  And I think he's got the best chance in what is a weak CB class to be a future Pro-Bowler.

I agree this is a more weak CB class compared to last year for sure.  McFadden arguably has as much talent as any of them, but could argue Carlton Davis might be a better player in the end because he is more physical and a better tackler I feel.  Will see what happens at the combine, and overall Minkah Fitzpatrick is the most complete and versatile DB in the draft I feel who could play a variety of positions.

In terms of McFadden being the next Chris McCalister, I do not see that.  McCalister was a really special return man in college something McFadden is totally not.  And again McCalister like Rhodes is far more thick and strong, doubt McFadden will ever fill out like McCalister who was a brick out there at corner, super strong and physical.  And yes Jackson has come out of nowhere this year in terms of his INT production but same can be said for McFadden his sophomore year, and he had zero this past year and he was targeted, it is not like they never threw his way this past season.

7 hours ago, VanS said:

There is no question this year's CB class is weak compared to last year's class. 

You're moving the goal-posts. That's like saying, "Kirk Cousins is a bad QB." And when questioned, "Well, Kirk Cousins is a bad QB when compared to Tom Brady."

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

You're moving the goal-posts. That's like saying, "Kirk Cousins is a bad QB." And when questioned, "Well, Kirk Cousins is a bad QB when compared to Tom Brady."

Could argue it is a weak class compared to 2016 and 2015 as well.  Sure it is not an awful class, but honestly no one really stood out above the rest I feel especially in terms of elite level talent.  I don't think any of them played like an elite high 1st round pick this past season. 

But really the other corners coming down the pike next year potentially, this group in 2018 is much better than they are, but will see maybe some guys will step up.    Andraez Williams or AJ Green might be the most talented and both are underclassmen, the SR group next year might be ok but only if I Adonios Alexander, Iman Marshall and Deandre Baker improve and develop, and will see how Jack Jones progresses.   Awful to hear about Malek Young, I had him as one of the top younger corners in the nation, too bad his career was ended by that injury, kid was a solid talent.  

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Could argue it is a weak class compared to 2016 and 2015 as well.  Sure it is not an awful class, but honestly no one really stood out above the rest I feel especially in terms of elite level talent.  I don't think any of them played like an elite high 1st round pick this past season. 

There doesn't need to be an elite talent for it to be a good class. This is a deep class with a lot of quality players in the 20 to 90  range of the Draft.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Its weak in its own vacuum as well.  I think we're looking at 1 pro-bowl caliber CB in this draft (Tavarus McFadden).  A few more that will be reliable starters.   And maybe one late round steal (Jamarcus King).

I don't know what you would class a CB class that only produces one pro-bowl caliber player that is a marginal pro-bowler at that.  I call it weak.

Just now, VanS said:

Its weak in its own vacuum as well.  I think we're looking at 1 pro-bowl caliber CB in this draft (Tavarus McFadden).  A few more that will be reliable starters.   And maybe one late round steal (Jamarcus King).

I don't know what you would class a CB class that only produces one pro-bowl caliber player that is a marginal pro-bowler at that.  I call it weak.

Well, I call your evaluation of this class off the mark.

Archived