3 rounds w/ trades

bananabucket

With no 2nd round pick and no 4th (you'll want to correct that, they traded #120 not #87 from the sound of things), it's doubtful the Rams use their 1st on an OT when both starters played well last season.  They're probably a prime candidate to trade back (because of that lack of 2nd round pick) if someone falls that a teams feels they have to have, but otherwise an EDGE like Hubbard or Key could be the ticket.  They need a more suitable NT (because moving Brockers there when he just had a breakout season at DE isn't advisable), but I'm not going to dictate value to you and I'm not sure if they swing for Tim Settle or Harrison Phillips in the 1st, but we'll see if the combine changes that belief.  Glad to see someone else valuing Dorance Armstrong like I do.

For the Chargers... I see a fit for Hurst and I think he can succeed there, but I just have trouble seeing them drafting an out and out 3-Tech that doesn't have that much positional flexibility in their scheme unless they shed Liuget for the cap-space before the draft comes.  Anthony Lynn spelled it out in his presser today, they need to improve their LB's, and my bet all along is that they're crossing their fingers that Roquan or Edmunds fall (granted they'd likely play different roles), but Tom Telesco's never been a GM shy to reach for "his guy," so I can see Evans or VanderEsch being guys they grasp for if the other two are off the board.  In the 2nd... yikes.  Yes, they almost always draft for the "projected to take over a starter spot in Y2" role in the 2nd, but the return value on the trade from Detroit doesn't make passing on someone like Miller (who more fits the "dancing bear" profile the blocking scheme demands) worth it, if they're dead set on taking an OT, which I just don't think they are.  I could easily see them looking C over OT if they go OL, and I have a really hard time seeing them pass on Settle there, with them both having had issues plugging the run last season and with Brandon Mebane entering the final year of his contract.

54 - KC - Carlton Davis CB

78 - KC - Hercules Mata'afa EDGE

86 - KC - Auden Tate WR

87 - KC - Tegray Scales LB (From LAR)

First two picks I like. Second two, not so much. I'd prefer Simmie Cobbs Jr. and  RJ McIntosh. Ideally we get a S at some point. But with the way the board fell I'm ok not taking one here.

6 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Bad draft for the Steelers.  I'd take Ronnie Harrison in the 1st, Dontae Jackson in the 2nd, and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in the 3rd using your draft. 

I'm holding firm with my Steelers picks.  I admit Thomas in the 3rd is questionable but your two biggest needs are clearly ILB and FS.  Not sure why you wouldnt like this draft.

8 hours ago, The LBC said:

With no 2nd round pick and no 4th (you'll want to correct that, they traded #120 not #87 from the sound of things), it's doubtful the Rams use their 1st on an OT when both starters played well last season.  They're probably a prime candidate to trade back (because of that lack of 2nd round pick) if someone falls that a teams feels they have to have, but otherwise an EDGE like Hubbard or Key could be the ticket.  They need a more suitable NT (because moving Brockers there when he just had a breakout season at DE isn't advisable), but I'm not going to dictate value to you and I'm not sure if they swing for Tim Settle or Harrison Phillips in the 1st, but we'll see if the combine changes that belief.  Glad to see someone else valuing Dorance Armstrong like I do.

Yeah I made this mock before the trade details came out.  I'll change that next time.

The idea was to get Whitworth's replacement.  I didn't see anyone at that spot that screamed BPA so I went for a future need.

For the Chargers... I see a fit for Hurst and I think he can succeed there, but I just have trouble seeing them drafting an out and out 3-Tech that doesn't have that much positional flexibility in their scheme unless they shed Liuget for the cap-space before the draft comes.  Anthony Lynn spelled it out in his presser today, they need to improve their LB's, and my bet all along is that they're crossing their fingers that Roquan or Edmunds fall (granted they'd likely play different roles), but Tom Telesco's never been a GM shy to reach for "his guy," so I can see Evans or VanderEsch being guys they grasp for if the other two are off the board.  In the 2nd... yikes.  Yes, they almost always draft for the "projected to take over a starter spot in Y2" role in the 2nd, but the return value on the trade from Detroit doesn't make passing on someone like Miller (who more fits the "dancing bear" profile the blocking scheme demands) worth it, if they're dead set on taking an OT, which I just don't think they are.  I could easily see them looking C over OT if they go OL, and I have a really hard time seeing them pass on Settle there, with them both having had issues plugging the run last season and with Brandon Mebane entering the final year of his contract.

I was under the impression Liuget wouldnt be around after this year so I thought Hurst would be a good replacement.  I did consider Evans at that spot as well, just felt a bit early for him.  Good to know Telesco isnt afraid to reach for his guy, I'll keep that in mind for next time.  Admittedly the Chargers are one of the teams I'm fuzziest on in terms of needs and scheme fits. 

Thanks for the insight, very useful.

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

Yeah I made this mock before the trade details came out.  I'll change that next time.

The idea was to get Whitworth's replacement.  I didn't see anyone at that spot that screamed BPA so I went for a future need.

I was under the impression Liuget wouldnt be around after this year so I thought Hurst would be a good replacement.  I did consider Evans at that spot as well, just felt a bit early for him.  Good to know Telesco isnt afraid to reach for his guy, I'll keep that in mind for next time.  Admittedly the Chargers are one of the teams I'm fuzziest on in terms of needs and scheme fits. 

Thanks for the insight, very useful.

The only thing with spending a 1st on "Whitworth's successor" is that both guards played well last season, as did Havenstein - and Havenstein actually didn't show as well when tried out at guard in the preseason as he did back at RT.  So, I just have a hard time seeing a team with no 2nd round pick and no 4th round pick, who has already made aggressive moves this offseason that suggest they're trying to win sooner than later (and they do, they want that playoff win and to try to put the division on lock before moving into the new stadium to ensure high attendance) is going to spend their 1st round pick on a guy who would have to compete for a starting spot as a rookie, as opposed to getting a player who can help out more immediately.

And back to the Chargers.  This year is the easy-out year in Liuget's contract so people were project that it would be a good year to get out from under his overpriced contract, but there's yet to be any actual rumblings of that.  And even then, you've got Darius Philon on the roster who has already shown in in limited duty to the tune of 4.5 sacks last season.  So, the more likely DT if one is picked is going to be a guy who can play the 0-, 1-, and 2-Techs and possibly kick over to spell the 3-Tech in a pinch, but primarily they'll be looking for someone to play the nose and take over for Mebane in 2019, unless they really see some substantial steps out of Damion Square.  Telesco is generally pretty transparent with his 1st though in that they address the biggest detriment of the previous season's team in the 1st every year and last year that was stopping the run.  So it's likely some form of DT or more likely (just based off Lynn's comments today) a LB in the 1st (my gut tells me that Gus Bradley is in search of his Bobby Wagner).

On 2/24/2018 at 6:54 PM, DoleINGout said:

First round makes sense overall, good mock.

For the Partriots, I like it but don't love it. Oliver is nice, but in the second round with I think Luke Falk is a better option than Mason Rudolph and Lorenzo Carter is more needed at linebacker than Harrison Phillips is needed at defensive tackle. Considering Jaire Alexander is in round 2, I'd prefer the Patriots to pick him with their first second and grab Derrius Guice with the first.

I rescind this original statement. If like don't love Isaiah Oliver in the first round. For the Patriots I love the rest of the picks. Great mock overall too.

4 hours ago, bananabucket said:

I'm holding firm with my Steelers picks.  I admit Thomas in the 3rd is questionable but your two biggest needs are clearly ILB and FS.  Not sure why you wouldnt like this draft.

I'm not sold on Vander Esch and see him as a soft player.  He isn't a strong tackler and doesn't get through trash well.

Bates is someone I don't truly like as well.  It's not your positions that i dislike; it'is the players.

as a jets fan im ok with the trade back if they get cousins, but the picks are way wrong, they would take Mike McGlinchey OT or Connor Williams with one pick and either an OLB/edge or Courtland Sutton WR

On 2/24/2018 at 9:10 PM, bananabucket said:

I guess we just value him differently.  I think Jones is a borderline first round talent.  When he was falling I wanted to have a RB needy team trade up to snag him, and Detroit happened to be the one I saw that made some sense.  If a team likes a guy enough, they wont risk him getting picked up if they only have to hop a few spots.

I didn't realize Detroit was low on picks though.  Plus of course you know Quinns tendencies much better than I do  

The rb that Detroit seemingly loves is Guice. I don't see it as much, but that is what I'm hearing. Nevertheless, Bob Quinn has a 2 year history of taking biggest need in the 1st round and BPA (with some double dipping) thereafter. And RB, despite common perception, is not their biggest need. Their Biggest need is arguably DT (nose tackle) or edge rusher (34OLB\43DE). Since this is a fairly deep talent pool at NT and not so much for Edge-rusher, I would guess a pass rusher is the higher priority in the 1st.

Word on the street is that Green Bay loves Leighton Vander Esch at LB. Thereby making Harold Landry a possibility at #20. I would personally like a nose tackle here, but it's difficult to find premier edge rushers. However, Landry might be seen as too much of a gamble if health is not checked off.

No way the Lions trade up in the first round. It's more likely they would want to trade down in the 2nd or 3rd round to get more picks. Theo Riddick could also be a bargaining chip in trade scenarios. As you know, though, trades take 2 interested parties. So, I doubt any trade happens.

Archived