Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Didn't see it listed, but we signed Louis Murphy at wide receiver. Likely just a camp body, but he has some NFL experience obviously, and depending on how he comes back from injury, I could see him make a push for that wr 4/5 spot. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Did you see any news on Jimmie Gilbert? I hope we can get him back on IR, it would be good for him to spend this season packing on some muscle while rehabbing so he could come in and potentially provide some pass rush depth next season. I really like his length and athleticism.

I agree GW, I was hoping Gilbert would show well in camp as I liked his athleticism and skill set. As wrong as it may sound, if we can get him on the IR and bulk him up for next year it might be in his best interest to make our team next year. 

3 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

Anyone know anything about the Villanova LB? Clearly he'll be behind the 8 ball when it comes to learning the scheme and probably isn't anything more than a camp body but I'm just curious.

Can't say I watched a lot of VIllanova, but he's a guy that's probably best at SAM. Not really quick enough for the WILL. 

If they are trying him out at SAM and that's his preferred fit I like the signing a little bit more. Having so much depth at the WILL and MIKE spot with Bowman, Foster, Coyle, Armstrong and Watson (who seems to play everywhere) we have enough guys there.

As of now, the former All-Pro defensive lineman’s No.94 is still available to be worn, however, and apparently will be next season by No.2 overall pick Solomon Thomas. It’s a big jersey to fill, something 49ers general manager John Lynch understands completely. In fact, before giving Thomas the number, Lynch called Smith to ask for his blessing.

“I talked to him one time I believe,” Smith said on KNBR Tuesday when asked by Kevin Frandsen if he’s spoken with Lynch. “He was calling about the new guy wearing my number, and I was like ‘hey that’s what they’re there for, to be worn.’ No problem with me. That was good for him to reach out and talk to me. I mean (Lynch) played forever. I was around when he was playing and he’s the man. He laid the hammer down. Just a good, respectful guy. He knows how to treat people in football because he played, but he also knows what to expect. I’m sure they’re having as tough a camp as they could have under him.”

http://www.knbr.com/2017/08/08/justin-smith-john-lynch-called-me-to-ask-if-solomon-thomas-could-wear-94/

Glad Lynch asked for permission first. Someone better have been on the phone with Bryant Young as well. 

@y2lamanaki very cool story. Man I love Justin Smith, such an awesome dude; not because he let Solly wear his number but just the way he carries himself. It's really sad we couldn't beat the Ravens and win that Super Bowl. Guys like Frank, Pat, and Justin all deserved to be world champions. 

• Like 1