Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

No thanks to Bryant. 

I already feel like barring injury the receivers on the active roster (at least top five) will be Garcon, Goodwin, Pettis, Taylor, and Bourne. Don't see anyone leapfrogging anyone in that lineup, or the 49ers going after receiver help unless someone gets hurt or they want a sixth receiver for depth/special teams. 

Edited by PapaShogun

5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

No thanks to Bryant. 

I already feel like barring injury the receivers on the active roster (at least top five) will be Garcon, Goodwin, Pettis, Taylor, and Bourne. Don't see anyone leapfrogging anyone in that lineup, or the 49ers going after receiver help unless someone gets hurt or they want a sixth receiver for depth/special teams. 

James is making the roster so that's six. Would not surprise me if James had more of an impact than Pettis as a rookie.

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

James is making the roster so that's six. Would not surprise me if James had more of an impact than Pettis as a rookie.

wouldn't be so sure about James making the roster. He is a seventh round slot receiver. Could he make the roster sure but he could very well be going to the practice squad depending on how he performs this preseason. 

48 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

wouldn't be so sure about James making the roster. He is a seventh round slot receiver. Could he make the roster sure but he could very well be going to the practice squad depending on how he performs this preseason. 

I'm just as confident James makes the roster actually (barring injury or the addition of a guy like Dez). I think this guy is going to surprise a lot of people, and seems to be the exact type of shifty receiver the system loves. Most importantly, as of now, he's got very minimal competition for a 6th receiver spot, and I believe this system will see us routinely carry 6.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm just as confident James makes the roster actually (barring injury or the addition of a guy like Dez). I think this guy is going to surprise a lot of people, and seems to be the exact type of shifty receiver the system loves. Most importantly, as of now, he's got very minimal competition for a 6th receiver spot, and I believe this system will see us routinely carry 6.

Yeah he could very well make the roster. But i could also be any of the other receivers in my eyes. A lot there will depend on what they will bring on ST's and how they perform in the preseason. Guys like McCaffrey, Dunbar, Robinson and Burbridge(mostly ST) will all battle for that sixth spot with James depending on the role they want that 6th receiver to play.

Y2 summed it up perfectly. James was picked in the 7th but i believe he had 3rd-4th round talent. He will turn heads. He just needs to stay healthy. Talent wise, he's on par with any WR on the roster, sans Garcon. As much as I like guys like Taylor and Bourne, I see James as better natural pass-catcher, who can affect the passing game at all levels.

Edited by 757-NINER

2 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Yeah he could very well make the roster. But i could also be any of the other receivers in my eyes. A lot there will depend on what they will bring on ST's and how they perform in the preseason. Guys like McCaffrey, Dunbar, Robinson and Burbridge(mostly ST) will all battle for that sixth spot with James depending on the role they want that 6th receiver to play.

Robinson is the real competition, but even with Jimmy taking over, he didn't up his game like the other receivers did. Dunbar and McCaffrey are just bodies (far more confident of that for McCaffrey than Dunbar). Burbridge probably has a better chance than most to make the roster, but his competition is going to be with Mostert, not James, and Mostert offers more to the RB crew than Burbridge does to the WRs. Plus, the team shows a major (justifiable) bias toward their own picks, so that easily works in James' favor.

In the end, I think the 7th round status is what's creating this opinion, but the truth is he's a 4th-5th round talent with a 7th-round prospect's frame/injury history. Potential injury is the only concern I currently have in regards to him making the roster (or a late move for a red zone threat).

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I agree. If we carry 6 then he's making the roster - unless he just sucks at ST play.  He could turn out to be so good that he forces our hand and makes us carry six for fear of losing him if we decide put him on the PS. If we decide to carry only 5 then I don't see him beating out any of those other guys. 

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I agree. If we carry 6 then he's making the roster - unless he just sucks at ST play.  He could turn out to be so good that he forces our hand and makes us carry six for fear of losing him if we decide put him on the PS. If we decide to carry only 5 then I don't see him beating out any of those other guys. 

Here's the thing about the bolded - being good at special teams is how a player gets to be active on gamedays. Players with potential on offense or defense can still make the roster without being special teams contributors. Pita T. is a great example of this from last year.

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Here's the thing about the bolded - being good at special teams is how a player gets to be active on gamedays. Players with potential on offense or defense can still make the roster without being special teams contributors. Pita T. is a great example of this from last year.

Yeah. That could well be the case. On the other hand when a team is coming down to its last few cuts and they're trying to choose between two wrs I think they would givie serious consideration to one that was great at sts if the other guy sucked. 

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Yeah. That could well be the case. On the other hand when a team is coming down to its last few cuts and they're trying to choose between two wrs I think they would givie serious consideration to one that was great at sts if the other guy sucked. 

If their talent levels were otherwise equal, I agree. 

He's going to have to compete for sure, but Maiocco said Shanny is really high on him and likes him a lot. Cohn said Bourne was the best WR on the field on the practice that was available to the media. But of course it was a non-padded practice. Still, I think he is pretty safe. 

16 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

If their talent levels were otherwise equal, I agree. 

Sure. If one guy is clearly a better WR than the other guy then he's the one to keep. I'm thinking that if it's close and you're looking for ways to decide between two fairly eqwual guys talent-wise, then other ways they can contribute might become the deciding factor.