Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Sounds like John Lynch is trying to get Jeremy Renner to come to the 49ers/Titans game. 

I'm kicking myself since I just saw the guy here in Macao a few days ago on the red carpet at a local film festival. Was about twenty feet away. Had my 49ers hat on, but he wasn't looking in my direction. Not sure what I was expecting to happen if he did see me, but I just wanted him to notice the 49ers fitted. Pretty sure we were the only two fans on the island. Would have been cool to talk 49ers ball with an Avenger. 

Yeah, that would have been awesome. I would attempt the same thing with Marisa Miller.

0c3c687f0ad2110ca0e723adc51f2a7f--marisa

Hawkeye is a 9ers fan?! Did not know that. Really like him (loved him as Aaron Cross, too) and now have another reason! B|

Thanks for the Duke highlights of Max. Some of those showed promise. I wish they could have showed more of his actual route-running, but grateful nonetheless. 6'2" and 200? If accurate, he has some much-needed size to add to this team. We shall see how much he will add in the future...

7 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hawkeye is a 9ers fan?! Did not know that. Really like him (loved him as Aaron Cross, too) and now have another reason! B|

Thanks for the Duke highlights of Max. Some of those showed promise. I wish they could have showed more of his actual route-running, but grateful nonetheless. 6'2" and 200? If accurate, he has some much-needed size to add to this team. We shall see how much he will add in the future...

Yea he's huge Niner fan. I remember reading about years ago when he did 'The Town' 

10 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Tartt, Pinion, Buckner, Armstead, Ward, Brown, Garnett, Carradine, Harold, Kyle Nelson?

This is a fun game. 

Are we counting UDFAs? Because I would put Celek in the group if that's the case. 

Tartt, Pinion, Buckner, Garnett, Ward, Brown, Kilgore, Blair....and maaaaaaybe Harold. I'll say yes to Harold, as well. Hoping for Reid, but dont' think that is likely. 

Not counting Nelson, he was an UDFA who wasn't originally signed by us, and we were his third team (then his 6th, then his 9th lol). 

Guys I left off: 

Armstead I think could and should be traded for whatever we can get for him. I still don't like his fit in the defense any more than I did prior to the year starting. 

Tank is FA and I really don't see a reason that he would want to re-sign here given the glut of defensive linemen we have and potential struggles to see the field. 

Reid is a guy I want to resign to keep in that passing down linebacker role. I liked him there, and it's nice to have some versatility. But we've made no move to re-sign him from what I know. He may find a tepid market given his activism, though, so I'm not completely ruling out his return, just don't feel that it's likely. 

Hyde is another guy I wouldn't mind bringing back on a cheap 2 year deal. Not a lot of money out there for good but not great running backs. But with Williams coming back, Breida in the fold...I dunno, I feel like we will take our chances with those two and maybe another drafted running back. 

Out of the guys I listed, Several are quite iffy. 

Ward I've mentioned several times as a guy who may not be back. He's just not worth the cap hit. While it's true we don't necessarily need the money, it could roll over into future years as well. I still don't know where we play him. I think if you bring him back, you bring him back as a corner. 

Kilgore. This is more about fear than anything. Kilgore has put together a nice string of games recently, and I worry that the team will talk themselves into re-signing him on the basis of his early season struggles being scheme, etc. So I'm saying he will be back to reverse jinx it. 

Harold certainly shouldn't be starting, but given that we are already weak depth wise at linebacker and given his familiarity with the scheme, I don't see any reason to dump him. He costs pennies. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

This is a fun game. 

Are we counting UDFAs? Because I would put Celek in the group if that's the case. 

Tartt, Pinion, Buckner, Garnett, Ward, Brown, Kilgore, Blair....and maaaaaaybe Harold. I'll say yes to Harold, as well. Hoping for Reid, but dont' think that is likely. 

Not counting Nelson, he was an UDFA who wasn't originally signed by us, and we were his third team (then his 6th, then his 9th lol). 

Guys I left off: 

Armstead I think could and should be traded for whatever we can get for him. I still don't like his fit in the defense any more than I did prior to the year starting. 

Tank is FA and I really don't see a reason that he would want to re-sign here given the glut of defensive linemen we have and potential struggles to see the field. 

Reid is a guy I want to resign to keep in that passing down linebacker role. I liked him there, and it's nice to have some versatility. But we've made no move to re-sign him from what I know. He may find a tepid market given his activism, though, so I'm not completely ruling out his return, just don't feel that it's likely. 

Hyde is another guy I wouldn't mind bringing back on a cheap 2 year deal. Not a lot of money out there for good but not great running backs. But with Williams coming back, Breida in the fold...I dunno, I feel like we will take our chances with those two and maybe another drafted running back. 

Out of the guys I listed, Several are quite iffy. 

Ward I've mentioned several times as a guy who may not be back. He's just not worth the cap hit. While it's true we don't necessarily need the money, it could roll over into future years as well. I still don't know where we play him. I think if you bring him back, you bring him back as a corner. 

Kilgore. This is more about fear than anything. Kilgore has put together a nice string of games recently, and I worry that the team will talk themselves into re-signing him on the basis of his early season struggles being scheme, etc. So I'm saying he will be back to reverse jinx it. 

Harold certainly shouldn't be starting, but given that we are already weak depth wise at linebacker and given his familiarity with the scheme, I don't see any reason to dump him. He costs pennies. 

I was wanting to talk about guys he drafted because those are the misses that I think led us to the dismal place we've been in these past couple of years.  But, sure, go ahead and add the UDFAs too.

I'll add my thoughts in a day or two.  I'm still struggling with some of the same guys you are. I think there is a subtle, or maybe not so much no, bias against guys that were here before the new regine came in.  So I tend to think that where it's a close call I think the guy is gone.  The problem is not knowing who we draft and/or sign as free agents. We can all re-do our guess after the draft and FA signing period to take that into account.

One guy that won't be on my list is Kilgore.  I've considered him because we need a decent player to backup at both C and G and I think he could be that.  But I don't want him as our starting center.  Besides Fusco played C in college. I'd rather keep him than Kilgore.  And we've stil got  Magnuson. The guy I'd like to see us spend a little of that cap space on is Weston Richborg.  He's a FA, he's several years younger than Kilgore.  More importantly I think he's one of the best young centers in the league.  Realistically we can't bring back Garnett who is barely any further along than a rookie and add  a rookie at both C and G.  One way to stablize our line is to add a good young C and then fill in the G spots on either side of him.  Garmett, Richborg and Nelson as our middle 3 would be world's better than what we've put out ther this year.

42 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I'll add my thoughts in a day or two.  I'm still struggling with some of the same guys you are. I think there is a subtle, or maybe not so much no, bias against guys that were here before the new regine came in.  So I tend to think that where it's a close call I think the guy is gone.  The problem is not knowing who we draft and/or sign as free agents. We can all re-do our guess after the draft and FA signing period to take that into account.

Just to clarify, on my list, those aren't people that I would want back. I want nothing to do with Kilgore for example, but I could understand the impetus for keeping him, and I actually think that he has a better shot to come back than say, Eric Reid, even though I like the latter much more as a player. 

9 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Kyle Nelson was a draft pick? 

for some reason I thought he was a late round pick in one of those years we had 12 picks or something, i went off the top. 

I think Kilgore, Reid, Johnson (if he was a pick) and Hyde are all gone to be upgraded pretty clearly. I think Carradine has a chance to bounce elsewhere but I think Saleh really likes him and i doubt he'll get a huge offer elsewhere with his lack of pt so maybe we can lock him in for a bargain, especially if he thinks he has a real chance to start.

OK here are some Baalke picks I think will be here for opening game next year - Tartt, Garnett, Pinion,  Buckner, Brown and Hyde.  There are a few more I'm still going back and forth on and will address later.  The only guy on this list that some of you won't agree with is Hyde.  My thinking is that he is a pretty good back. He's probably going to end the year somewhere at least close to 1000 yards and close to 60 catches. That's solid enough for me.  Willimas is questionable and I'm less impressed with Breida than most here.  Not bad as a backup, change of pace guy.  But not who I would build my rushing oiffense around.  Furthermore, Hyde's in that good but not great range where I don't think he will get a huge offer. So we will be able to afford him.  We won't know how the draft goes before we have to decide on him, and counting on a rookie RB that you might or might not be able to draft is a bad strategy.  So the only option I see to re-signing him is signing some other good, but not great FA RB. I'll look over the list some time.  But I'm not sure there is anyone clearly better than him. I guess one other possibility is that we do draft a RB who plays lights-out in preseason and we trade Hyde before the season starts. That seems like a low probability to me.

One guy I'm putting on the "not here" list is Carradine.  I had really high hopes for him.  But every year that has gone by with him contributing next to nothing he's dropped in my estimation. Over his 5 year career he's accumulated 5 sacks and 68 tackles. After 5 years in the league I see zero upside with him. We have a ton of d-line guys that I think he won't be able to beat out next year.  Heck, we brought in guys several times this year that have given more than he typically does - when he plays at all.

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Willimas is questionable and I'm less impressed with Breida than most here.  Not bad as a backup, change of pace guy.  But not who I would build my rushing oiffense around

I agree that Breida is unlikely to be a feature back type. I like him as a change of pace too. But I don't think Breida and Williams (well, maybe Williams, if he's still high in the eyes of Kyle) really account in the Hyde equation. He won't be re-signed just because his back-ups aren't starting material. He might be let go because Kyle might not think he's a perfect fit for his offense. All year, I've been under the impression that Kyle had to limit the running game because of Hyde's trouble to run the outside zones. He's a terrific inside runner, but not a great one-cut runner. Kyle played him because he's better than anything else we have, but is he going to commit to him as his starting back for the next few years just because he's better than what we currently have, or will he just let him walk and start looking for a back who can actually run the offense the way he wants? It doesn't matter that Hyde is a valuable player, if he's not the valuable player we actually want? The question is how will we replace him, if we let him go... for that, I'll have to trust Lynch. So far, he has earned the benefit of the doubt, I think. Well, I've questioned most of his moves, but getting Jimmy was such a homerun (looking like it, at least), that it's hard not to believe in him. Maybe we take a step back, without Hyde. But we're rebuilding. I don't mind a step back, if it means two steps forwards later on.