Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

If we get Brown, we better be averaging over 30 PPG next season. With Kittle/Brown/Pettis/McKinnon/Breida, no excuse not to at least get close to that mark. 

I mean it probably comes down to RZ offense, but year three Shanny better get it together.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we get Brown, we better be averaging over 30 PPG next season. With Kittle/Brown/Pettis/McKinnon/Breida, no excuse not to at least get close to that mark. 

I mean it probably comes down to RZ offense, but year three Shanny better get it together.

This is why I don't want us to just "sit around" this off season again. We have to make the splash moves this off season. We may not win the SB next year but atleast get me a wild card spot.

The sad part is that IF Jimmy doesn't get hurt we might be a playoff team this past year(9-7, 10-6). Those losses vs GB, LAC, Zona(2x), NYG and TB are wins in my book if Jimmy G is healthy.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2019 at 3:42 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Over 30PPG? That's a tall order.

This is what I figured. It is bit of a loophole giving coaches titles such as passing game coordinator or running game coordinator and considering that as a lateral move to offensive coordinator. I have no doubt those two play a big part of the game plans and what not, but make no mistake, Shanahan is the offensive coordinator here and he calls all the plays. 

Still, if our offense is great next season, both will get their shots, and one or both may get some legitimate HC interviews. 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is what I figured. It is bit of a loophole giving coaches titles such as passing game coordinator or running game coordinator and considering that as a lateral move to offensive coordinator. I have no doubt those two play a big part of the game plans and what not, but make no mistake, Shanahan is the offensive coordinator here and he calls all the plays. 

Still, if our offense is great next season, both will get their shots, and one or both may get some legitimate HC interviews. 

I think the lateral move portion was more in reference to the fact that neither guy would call plays at their new stops either, so it was very much a lateral move from where they are now.  That wasn't the case in Denver where scangarello will call plays.

That was what I read from barrows I believe

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the lateral move portion was more in reference to the fact that neither guy would call plays at their new stops either, so it was very much a lateral move from where they are now.  That wasn't the case in Denver where scangarello will call plays.

That was what I read from barrows I believe

I don't know, I legitimately think those two are essentially considered offensive coordinators and it is a lateral move if they take the same job elsewhere. Scangarello wasn't a coordinator of any sort so that is considered an upgrade. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't know, I legitimately think those two are essentially considered offensive coordinators and it is a lateral move if they take the same job elsewhere. Scangarello wasn't a coordinator of any sort so that is considered an upgrade. 

Here is what Barrows said: 

For one, those would not have been true promotions. LaFleur and McDaniel are heavily involved in game-planning already with the 49ers, have “coordinator” in their job titles, but do not call plays. They wouldn’t have had that duty in Arizona or Green Bay, either. For Scangarello, on the other hand, going to Denver is a true step up the ladder. He will call Denver’s offensive plays.

So I think we are saying the same thing. I see the point in blocking them (not to mention, AZ is a divisional rival). Would Shanny have let them interview had they been the true OC at those locations and calling plays and whatnot? I have no idea. Barrows makes it seem like their function would basically have been the same as what they have here, and thus Shanny didn't feel that it was a promotion for them, so there was no reason to lose them. I understand that point. The only difference would have been the official offensive coordinator designation as opposed to "run game coordinator" or "pass game coordinator". 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Here is what Barrows said: 

So I think we are saying the same thing. I see the point in blocking them (not to mention, AZ is a divisional rival). Would Shanny have let them interview had they been the true OC at those locations and calling plays and whatnot? I have no idea. Barrows makes it seem like their function would basically have been the same as what they have here, and thus Shanny didn't feel that it was a promotion for them, so there was no reason to lose them. I understand that point. The only difference would have been the official offensive coordinator designation as opposed to "run game coordinator" or "pass game coordinator". 

How is Barrows so sure that they wouldn't be calling plays in AZ or GB though? If the Cardinals hire Hue Jackson, do you not think he calls the plays? Or was it said somewhere that AZ/GB will have their head coaches call the plays? Let's say McDaniel/LaFleur got a request for the Broncos OC gig, I don't think Shanny would have let them take it. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

How is Barrows so sure that they wouldn't be calling plays in AZ or GB though? If the Cardinals hire Hue Jackson, do you not think he calls the plays? Or was it said somewhere that AZ/GB will have their head coaches call the plays? Let's say McDaniel/LaFleur got a request for the Broncos OC gig, I don't think Shanny would have let them take it. 

Both have already been verified as to be calling plays for their teams. Makes sense. Both are offensive guys with their own styles and preferences. Lafleur comes from the Shanny / McVay tree, so it seems particularly unlikely that he wouldn't have called plays at the time of his hire. 

I have no idea whether or not he would have let them take that interview with Denver. It's perfectly logical in this scenario to say that he didn't feel that there was any benefit for them taking the other jobs over what they have now if they aren't going to be calling plays. Now, whether or not that would be the true reason, I have no idea. He can say that, and it makes sense, but it could also just be lip service and he didn't want to lose them given how important they are to the staff. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Both have already been verified as to be calling plays for their teams. Makes sense. Both are offensive guys with their own styles and preferences. Lafleur comes from the Shanny / McVay tree, so it seems particularly unlikely that he wouldn't have called plays at the time of his hire. 

I have no idea whether or not he would have let them take that interview with Denver. It's perfectly logical in this scenario to say that he didn't feel that there was any benefit for them taking the other jobs over what they have now if they aren't going to be calling plays. Now, whether or not that would be the true reason, I have no idea. He can say that, and it makes sense, but it could also just be lip service and he didn't want to lose them given how important they are to the staff. 

So then good luck getting Hue to agree to be the OC without calling the actual plays. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So then good luck getting Hue to agree to be the OC without calling the actual plays. 

They already hired Tom Clements. 

They appear to be going a similar route to us with a passing game / run game coordinator but maybe no actual OC. 

• Like 1