Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This is what I figured. It is bit of a loophole giving coaches titles such as passing game coordinator or running game coordinator and considering that as a lateral move to offensive coordinator. I have no doubt those two play a big part of the game plans and what not, but make no mistake, Shanahan is the offensive coordinator here and he calls all the plays. 

Still, if our offense is great next season, both will get their shots, and one or both may get some legitimate HC interviews. 

It's not so much lateral in the sense we're giving them a coordinator title or not. It's lateral in the sense that even if they are "coordinators" elsewhere, they still won't be calling plays. If Lafleur joins Lafleur in Green Bay, it's still the head coaching Lafleur who will be calling offensive plays. So going from passing game coordinator to "offensive" coordinator and still not calling plays is not really a promotion. Scangarello is going to be the play caller in Denver, now that's a real promotion. But if he had been "promoted" to offensive coordinator just not to call plays, now that's not really much of a promotion, really.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I think the lateral move portion was more in reference to the fact that neither guy would call plays at their new stops either, so it was very much a lateral move from where they are now.  That wasn't the case in Denver where scangarello will call plays.

That was what I read from barrows I believe

I should have read your post before replying.. just said the same thing. That's why nobody loves me.

• Like 3

https://amp.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article224916875.html 

Garoppolo is throwing again, plus some interesting stuff with Kyle about the staff and the senior bowl. 

Neither of the new defensive coaches we hired are there. I guess it was part of Kyle's recruiting pitch, which honestly makes it seem like those vacancies were not that desirable from the outside (although I may be looking too much into it) 

All the Antoni Brown talk suddenly seems to have gone dead. Is there something in the works behind the scenes? Or are the Steelers just letting him cool off and they’ll sort out their issues soon and he’ll stay with them after all?🤔

6 hours ago, N4L said:

https://amp.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article224916875.html 

Garoppolo is throwing again, plus some interesting stuff with Kyle about the staff and the senior bowl. 

Neither of the new defensive coaches we hired are there. I guess it was part of Kyle's recruiting pitch, which honestly makes it seem like those vacancies were not that desirable from the outside (although I may be looking too much into it) 

I think coaches don't like coaching the Senior Bowl. They do it because it's invaluable insight into prospects, and any advantage you can get, you get. But as far as coaching goes, it's a very dull week. You have to go extra vanilla, no blitz, no stunts, simple coverages, no motion on offense, etc. Coaching a high school team would be more fun than coaching the Senior Bowl. And it's a week you could be spending vacationing, or at home with your family. And then, there's the reminder that you are coaching the Senior Bowl because you sucked, and you'd much rather be in the playoffs. Coaching the Senior Bowl is not fun. Invaluable scouting access, for which you don't really need these two coaches too much. But as far as coaching goes, not so much. Just put it on the table when hiring these coaches, it can't really hurt. Take the week off, guys. I'm sure they have plenty of things to do. Finding a place where to live in the bay area, for instance. When our staff goes back to Santa Clara, they'll get back to work, and the new coaches will be there for what really matters.

5 hours ago, Hulkburn said:

All the Antoni Brown talk suddenly seems to have gone dead. Is there something in the works behind the scenes? Or are the Steelers just letting him cool off and they’ll sort out their issues soon and he’ll stay with them after all?🤔

NFLN said we might not be that interested in him at all now...

5 hours ago, Hulkburn said:

I think there's still a possibility that he's not moved. Cooler heads prevail and all of that. I think in the end, Pittsburgh will try to mend fences, but I don't know if it's past the point of no return. There's not much that can / will be done at this point anyway. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Good news! B|

Meh, just means we still need top end players if we really want to compete with a team like the Rams in the immediate future if we aren't interested in Brown.  Brown would have been a boon to this offense for sure, and would have legitimately put us in the top 7 or 8 conversation with regards to offenses, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meh, just means we still need top end players if we really want to compete with a team like the Rams in the immediate future if we aren't interested in Brown.  Brown would have been a boon to this offense for sure, and would have legitimately put us in the top 7 or 8 conversation with regards to offenses, in my opinion. 

I agree. Kyle and John will be in year 3/half way through their deal(s). I used to think build through the draft but we really need results ASAP. At least give me a playoff berth next year.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

NFLN said we might not be that interested in him at all now...

Only reason I believe this is if the Steelers are only asking for our 1st. There's no way we do it for the 2nd pick in the draft. Even if we swap with the Steelers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Only reason I believe this is if the Steelers are only asking for our 1st. There's no way we do it for the 2nd pick in the draft. Even if we swap with the Steelers.

The swap with the Steelers is an interesting scenario. The difference in the classic value chart between 18 and 2 is 1700 points. If we assume Brown is worth pick #26 in value (number chosen for easy math), then Steelers would still owe us 1,000 points in value, or roughly their 2nd this year plus a 1st next.

Brown, a first, and a second for swapping picks would be one heck of an offer. Would depend largely on how free agency goes, but I would consider it. 

• Like 1

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

The swap with the Steelers is an interesting scenario. The difference in the classic value chart between 18 and 2 is 1700 points. If we assume Brown is worth pick #26 in value (number chosen for easy math), then Steelers would still owe us 1,000 points in value, or roughly their 2nd this year plus a 1st next.

Brown, a first, and a second for swapping picks would be one heck of an offer. Would depend largely on how free agency goes, but I would consider it. 

i like this idea. We could also throw in a mid to late round pick if needed.