Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

19 minutes ago, N4L said:

He could then show up, cause a scene, make life uncomfortable for everyone, divide the locker room etc. He wouldn't get fined and would lose no money. He would show up

Once that happens, the Steelers will have to make a move. Worse yet, everyone will know they have to trade him and this will be after the draft so they won't get anything to help them win this year (clock is ticking on Ben's career) 

Everything is up to brown at this point imo. He can stay in Pittsburgh if they don't trade him and he is ok with that. If he's not ok with that, he does have ways to force his way out. 

It would be messy and he would burn a lot of bridges, but he does have options

Another part of this no one is talking about, it would make our corners so much better to actually go up against a quality NFL WR all off-season. I don't think the guys we had there last off-season did our secondary any favors as far as getting them ready to face other teams WRs

If he showed up, and just started acting like a malcontent, I'd see the rest of the team mostly getting tired of his antics. Everyone is there trying to win games, and putting their best foot forward. I think it would be worse than not showing up at all. He'd also be running the risk of some other teams losing interest. Brown, like anyone else, has methods to "try" and force his way out. Doesn't mean it will work in his favor. At the end of the day, he doesn't control his fate. If he intends to make life miserable for the Steelers organization, they'll bite back. If they don't, they set a bad precedent for anyone that wants out. 

13 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I think it would be worse than not showing up at all.

That is the point I have been making. The Steelers better pray he doesn't show up if they don't trade him and he has decided he doesn't want to be a Steeler anymore. 

They went through an untenible situation last year with leveon that was a distraction and most certainly had a negative impact on their season. Doubt they want the circus again. 

He'd also be running the risk of some other teams losing interest.

Only the teams that brown wouldn't want to play for... 

Basically my argument has been:

1)he can make life so bad that the steelers have to trade him (he already has, hence Rooney's comments etc)

2)he can scare away other teams by telling them not to trade for him or he will make their life miserable 

Unprofessional? Certainly. But idgaf about what players do before they get here (or what they do off the field for that matter as long as it doesn't negatively impact their play on gamedays) 

12 minutes ago, N4L said:

That is the point I have been making. The Steelers better pray he doesn't show up if they don't trade him and he has decided he doesn't want to be a Steeler anymore. 

They went through an untenible situation last year with leveon that was a distraction and most certainly had a negative impact on their season. Doubt they want the circus again. 

Only the teams that brown wouldn't want to play for... 

Basically my argument has been:

1)he can make life so bad that the steelers have to trade him (he already has, hence Rooney's comments etc)

2)he can scare away other teams by telling them not to trade for him or he will make their life miserable 

Unprofessional? Certainly. But idgaf about what players do before they get here (or what they do off the field for that matter as long as it doesn't negatively impact their play on gamedays) 

No, it would be worse for Brown to not show up at all. That's what I meant. The team would get tired his antics real quick if he just decided to troll everyone the entire year for his own self interest. 

Bell stayed at home, and still got heat. If he showed up and just started dogging it with slick remarks to the media? It would be worse. That works in the NBA, not in the NFL for players. If the Steelers had Bell in 2018, it's not even a given they make the playoffs. Conner was a good enough replacement with his 1400 yards and 13 touchdowns in 13 games. 

Personally, I'd like the players I cheer for to have some level of professionalism on and off the field. Doesn't mean they have to be choir boys, but some of the stuff that Brown has apparently been involved in, in addition to his malcontent attitude with the Steelers, a quality organization, doesn't give me confidence if he were to come here. Things could quickly go south once he realizes he's not playing with a HOF quarterback. Then the diva will be in full force. 

And there may be a team that Brown does want to play for, that pulls their name out of the hat the worse this saga gets. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Things could go south quickly once he realizes he's not playing with a HOF quarterback

He's not? :D 

We are going in circles here. I've said my bit, you've said your bit. Let's see how things play out. 

I'm having flashbacks to the conversations we had about Khalil mack. Both times you said the player had no leverage and that the team would be the one to call the shots... Let's hope you're wrong both times and that AB is a 49er lol 

I just want to win. I don't care how we win, or why we win, as long as we win 

Edited by N4L

7 hours ago, N4L said:

He's not? :D 

We are going in circles here. I've said my bit, you've said your bit. Let's see how things play out. 

I'm having flashbacks to the conversations we had about Khalil mack. Both times you said the player had no leverage and that the team would be the one to call the shots... Let's hope you're wrong both times and that AB is a 49er lol 

I just want to win. I don't care how we win, or why we win, as long as we win 

And the Raiders did call the shots. Mack didn't choose where he went.

Speaking of flashbacks, you said we were playoff ready last offseason. Let's hope you're not wrong again, assuming you old the same opinion after this offseason. 

Well, Jed still wants to win with class I'm guessing. A move for AB will probably catch his ear at least.

Edited by PapaShogun

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

And the Raiders did call the shots. Mack didn't choose where he went.

This is revisionist history. All I said was that the raiders would have no choice but to trade mack. Never said he would have his say in where he went 

I'm not saying the steelers have to trade brown to us, just that IF he wants out, they would be stupid not to trade him, and IF he only wants to come here, that other teams would be stupid to trade for him. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Speaking of flashbacks, you said we were playoff ready last offseason. Let's hope you're not wrong again, assuming you old the same opinion after this offseason. 

I said that the front office should approach last off-season like we were a playoff team, that we should stack as much high end talent as possible to try and win because I didn't think we were not that far away since we had a QB and some nice pieces.  I was wrong about the overall talent on our roster and the timeline that we were on. 

All of us want the same thing, for the niners to win ball games :D

GO NINERS

1 hour ago, N4L said:

This is revisionist history. All I said was that the raiders would have no choice but to trade mack. Never said he would have his say in where he went 

I'm not saying the steelers have to trade brown to us, just that IF he wants out, they would be stupid not to trade him, and IF he only wants to come here, that other teams would be stupid to trade for him. 

I said that the front office should approach last off-season like we were a playoff team, that we should stack as much high end talent as possible to try and win because I didn't think we were not that far away since we had a QB and some nice pieces.  I was wrong about the overall talent on our roster and the timeline that we were on. 

All of us want the same thing, for the niners to win ball games :D

GO NINERS

But Oakland still had the choice to trade Mack. They got rid of him for draft capital, not because Mack was commander in chief. Oakland could have easily gave him the finger, and said sit out then.

Letting players dictate a precedent is stupid.

Edited by PapaShogun

On 2/1/2019 at 6:16 AM, Ftn49 said:

I moved to the south while in the military for quite a few years and then moved back about 5 years ago to be closer to family. Never been west of bismark I have future travel plans that way though. I've known several people that have moved to the Denver area and everyone loves it.

Thank you for your service!

• Like 2