Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

We probably if he doesn't absolutely wow us cut him next year because we save 6,8 on a 8,8 mil cap hit.

Makes sense with that logic. I just don't see the need for him and Breida to be on the same team really. I would like us to target an actual early down guy who has some pass catching ability and let Breida be the change of pace guy. Makes sense to see if McKinnon can stay healthy for a year, big IF, and see what we can get out of him before cutting him loose next year and saving more money. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

I'm looking forward to seeing McKinnon on the field. Breida was/is good, but he can't do it all.

First off, take that back about Breida haha. Secondly, I don't think McKinnon can either, he has a very poor YPC average for his career and has never been a "run between the tackles type". He's a complimentary piece who can be used in a variety of ways that most RBs can not but he's not a RB 1 nor should he be used that way. The man has a hard enough time staying healthy in a committee role, let alone being featured. 

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

First off, take that back about Breida haha. Secondly, I don't think McKinnon can either, he has a very poor YPC average for his career and has never been a "run between the tackles type". He's a complimentary piece who can be used in a variety of ways that most RBs can not but he's not a RB 1 nor should he be used that way. The man has a hard enough time staying healthy in a committee role, let alone being featured. 

So did Breida last year. Let's use them both. They can't both be hurt at the same time, right? Right?! Oh what have I done...?! O.o

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

So did Breida last year. Let's use them both. They can't both be hurt at the same time, right? Right?! Oh what have I done...?! O.o

Breidas one year of a bothersome ankle in comparison to McKinnons list of season ending injuries and ailments don't quite measure up to me but I understand your point. Since it will be of no benefit to cut him this year, smoke em while we got em then get rid of em next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I'm looking forward to seeing McKinnon on the field. Breida was/is good, but he can't do it all.

I liked this post because I agree, but it's important to note that McKinnon can't do it all either (and I might have been the happiest of anyone that we brought him in). That said, I think both bring skills to the table the other doesn't, so I am thoroughly excited to see them as a 1-2 punch. I think it's going to add a new dimension to the offense.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Sounds right. Take out about 7-8 of that for rookies. Take out about 1.5 - 2.0 for ERFAs we will likely tender. I'd even take out another 5 or so on the basis of Gould getting tagged (supposedly there has been some talk about an extension, so I'm assuming that gets done, but I think worst case scenario is the franchise tag) and we are probably looking at about 53 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I liked this post because I agree, but it's important to note that McKinnon can't do it all either (and I might have been the happiest of anyone that we brought him in). That said, I think both bring skills to the table the other doesn't, so I am thoroughly excited to see them as a 1-2-3 punch with Odell/AB. I think it's going to add a new dimension to the offense.

Fixed it. :D

• Like 1