Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

49ers get: OBJ and Giants 2019 1st

Giants get: #2, #34 and 2020 3rd

Who says no? 

We pick at 36 in the 2nd... I'm meh on the trade if it happens it happens and that would probably be a fair deal. Never been a huge Beckham fan though.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What are you thinking is a fair deal? 

#7 to #2 is equivalent of a 1st, then they get a high 2nd rounder along with a 2020 3rd. Not sure what else would make the deal fair. 2020 2nd? 

OBJ is probably going to go for a TON. That’s a top 5 WR in his prime with his contract all squared away for the foreseeable future. I’ve been hesitant with the AB trade, due to what he’s bringing into our locker room and cost for him, and with OBJ it only gives me more pause with what it would take to acquire him from the Giants and also the antics that come with him.

Those are all extremely valuable assets for us to improve our team as whole (and I think it honestly takes more to convince the Giants to part with him), not just the WR department. Our defense still has an extremely weak secondary at almost every starting spot (year two for Sherman post injury will be telling), two of three LB spots open and at the very least one edge guy worth paying attention to. Our OL needs atleast depth at all three IOL positions and I don’t think it would hurt to add a OT, TE, WR (obviously), or RB. That’s a lot of holes to fill for a team about to ship off high end picks for a guy who isn’t happy when he’s not winning and/or putting up huge stats. I’m actually a pretty firm believer that a championship caliber team does not need a star WR and I think history backs that atleast from my memory. 

Dont get me wrong, I’m not going to throw a fit if we land a talent like OBJ but I’m just not sure how much that helps this team as whole nor if that leads to the success we all want. 

I'm curious whether OBJ has a problem with the Giants organization, or his quarterback situation. I'm curious what his deal is with his interview that occurred around the start of the season, implying he may not want to be there. In any case, why would the Giants orchestrate such a trade for what I'm guessing is a quarterback, but give away a valuable piece to help in his development? 

Edited by PapaShogun

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I would love to have Beckham...but we have more pressing needs for an EDGE rusher...we have none. So, at this point, I would hope the FO would see him as a luxury we can't really afford at the moment.

What does one have to do with the other? Why can't we get an edge rusher and OBJ? 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What does one have to do with the other? Why can't we get an edge rusher and OBJ? 

Well, profootballtalks proposed trade was us sending the 2nd overall and maybe getting a third or a fourth back. If that is what it would take to get him, count me out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We are lacking at Draft capital as it is. What else do we trade for Beckham?! Draft picks. What do we need to get a young explosive pass rusher? Draft picks! Especially in the 1st round.

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

We are lacking at Draft capital as it is. What else do we trade for Beckham?! Draft picks. What do we need to get a young explosive pass rusher? Draft picks! Especially in the 1st round.

If we burned #2 overall on OBJ and received a 3rd/4th back... we could still do something like:

rd 2 / ER

rd 3 / WR

rd 4 / LB

rd 4 / DB

rd 6 / ER/TE/LB/DB

... and acquiring OBJ doesn't mean we can't supplement areas with FAs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

If we burned #2 overall on OBJ and received a 3rd/4th back... we could still do something like:

rd 2 / ER

rd 3 / WR

rd 4 / LB

rd 4 / DB

rd 6 / ER/TE/LB/DB

No way do we draft a WR if we trade for OBJ. 

But count me in the no to OBJ or AB group. They are no doubt great players but i think to a certain level having one of the best receivers in football is overrated. Last year of the top 10 receivers with the most yards only 4 made the play-offs(Hopkins, Hill, Thomas and Hilton). If you extent it to top 20 only 4/5 more are there(depends on how you count Cooper). Besides that with Kittle we already have a top receiving thread and adding McKinnon to that if he returns healthy only adds to that. Adding a Beckham or Brown in FA or if you can draft one and then keeping them i 100% support but giving up what you have to give up for especially OBJ is too much for the value they will add.

Also getting JImmy G back really changes a lot for our receivers. Mullens is a good back-up but he really doesn't have the arm to throw outside the numbers and really doesn't take many chances when a guy is covered. 

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

rd 2 / ER

rd 3 / WR

rd 4 / LB

rd 4 / DB

rd 6 / ER/TE/LB/DB

Correct, but I don't see us giving up the 2nd overall pick and not getting back at least a 2nd rounder in return. I like swapping 1st rounders the best and this way we can still get an edge rusher with the 7th pick. 

• Like 1