Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Meh. Depends on what you mean by upside. He is what he is, which is not a pass rusher. His upside is pretty limited in my opinion given that. Quality run stopper though. Has a role. It's not a 9+ million role, but I'm hoping the decision not to cut him is to work and maybe an extension at a more reasonable hit, or scour the trade market for him

He's a 25 year old player who was a top 17 pick. He has flashed but has had injury problems. He finally was healthy all year and had his best year as a pro. He has physical tools. He's shown he can make disruptive plays. 

That's what I mean by upside. He's young and has improved year over year. He seems to be a good dude who works hard but has had some bad breaks in his career so far. If he can stay healthy, he can be a good player. 

I don't think he is done improving as a pass rusher either. He has length and strength and he has really good hands. 

I agree 9 million is really steep for him, but it's not the worst contract on our team lol 

I'm not super pumped about this, I'm ok with bringing back our young frp with the idea to extend for a reasonable number. 

He tweeted that he is glad to be in San Francisco for another year and hopes to be here long term 'if they will have me'. I think he would be receptive to a 3 year deal for like 18 million with like 12 or 13 guaranteed. Not a bad deal for anyone

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Meh. Depends on what you mean by upside. He is what he is, which is not a pass rusher. His upside is pretty limited in my opinion given that. Quality run stopper though. Has a role. It's not a 9+ million role, but I'm hoping the decision not to cut him is to work and maybe an extension at a more reasonable hit, or scour the trade market for him

Yeah, I feel it was either the option or losing him for nothing. Now we can at least try to trade him or restructure. Or he might play well, who knows.

Edited by rudyZ

7 hours ago, N4L said:

He's a 25 year old player who was a top 17 pick. He has flashed but has had injury problems. He finally was healthy all year and had his best year as a pro. He has physical tools. He's shown he can make disruptive plays. 

That's what I mean by upside. He's young and has improved year over year. He seems to be a good dude who works hard but has had some bad breaks in his career so far. If he can stay healthy, he can be a good player. 

I don't think he is done improving as a pass rusher either. He has length and strength and he has really good hands. 

I agree 9 million is really steep for him, but it's not the worst contract on our team lol 

I'm not super pumped about this, I'm ok with bringing back our young frp with the idea to extend for a reasonable number. 

He tweeted that he is glad to be in San Francisco for another year and hopes to be here long term 'if they will have me'. I think he would be receptive to a 3 year deal for like 18 million with like 12 or 13 guaranteed. Not a bad deal for anyone

But for this scheme, he is limited. He's not a good enough interior rusher to get consistent push so he's not really effective when you move him inside next to DeFo in the nickel. So essentially we're going to pay him 9 million to be a Big End and a rotational DT in the nickel and that's really a waste of his skillset and our resources. I totally get what your saying about him still growing and still improving but he will never reach his potential in this defense. He needs to go to a 3-4 team and be a strong-side DE where his skillset can be put to better use. I understand why they exercised his option but it would be best for all parties if they could somehow work out a trade, as I don't see him being a Niner past 2019.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Damn it, was nice while it lasted at least.................

I think it's pretty dumb to not at least make a goddamn phone call 

They are basically saying they are not interested at any price, which is very foolish in my opinion

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think it's pretty dumb to not at least make a goddamn phone call 

They are basically saying they are not interested at any price, which is very foolish in my opinion

Either that or they are surveying the market and seeing what other teams are offering to determine if they want to make a move for him or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Alright, if we miss out on both AB/OBJ, let's at least end up with Bosa/ET and call it a day lol. 

this is where I start to worry a bit that Kyle trusts his scheme a bit too much. I mean Kittle with 2 healthy Pettis and Goodwin isn't bad but boy do we need some talent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

this is where I start to worry a bit that Kyle trusts his scheme a bit too much. I mean Kittle with 2 healthy Pettis and Goodwin isn't bad but boy do we need some talent.

With a healthy Jimmy G the offense will be fine. But I want it more than that. I want it to be elite. And it very well may be just that. But Pettis/Goodwin haven't proven they can stay healthy. You know who has? Antonio Brown. That is a sure bet elite talent we are desperately missing on this team. Now, OBJ has also had some injury plagued seasons so you can argue that is a concern if we go that direction. But the talent is awesome and at least he doesn't have lingering soft tissue injuries.

Not really interested in any FA WR to be honest. I still would love Hollywood Brown if possible in the late half of the 1st round. 

But our BIGGEST needs are edge rusher and FS. Getting ET>Brown or OBJ for me and then need a double digit sack edge rusher either in free agency or likely in the draft. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Either that or they are surveying the market and seeing what other teams are offering to determine if they want to make a move for him or not.

I guess its possible. Hard to really guage the market without talking to them though. I guess everything is so public now in the Twitterverse that you can get an idea of what's what. 

I think it's more likely we don't have interest. 

11 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Meh but it's widely been accepted that offense isn't a problem with this team. He has every right to believe that he can do more with less...because he has. He lost his starting RB and QB and had his top 2 WRs healthy for about 2-3 games and the offense still put up numbers. As I keep reiterating over and over, offensive production will never be a real issue with this team as long as Shanny is at the helm. The focus this off-season personnel wise, should be defensive driven. 

Just now, N4L said:

I guess its possible. Hard to really guage the market without talking to them though. I guess everything is so public now in the Twitterverse that you can get an idea of what's what. 

I think it's more likely we don't have interest. 

Yeah, I think it is fair to assume we won't be going after Brown this offseason. Peter King's article didn't list us as one of the teams who will be going after him and that all but confirmed it.