Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

See..they love the Malcom..

More so we don't have many options at LB right now and will be needing bodies throughout the offseason. Like I said, he can easily be cut at a later time. 

Man, only three more days until free agency!!!

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

More so we don't have many options at LB right now and will be needing bodies throughout the offseason. Like I said, he can easily be cut at a later time. 

Man, only three more days until free agency!!!

Best part about Monday is we all sit and anticipate moves to happen right away but hear crickets.. lol.

Don't mind the Malcolm Smith restructure as I believe even after this year there were some cap ramifications had we released him, hopefully with a now smaller number and most of his guaranteed money coming this year (purely speculative as I haven't seen numbers) it will make it easier to dispose of him next offseason while keeping him as LB 4 in the mean time.

10 hours ago, Forge said:

What I'm confused about is the proliferation of the use of "options" in the nfl, to be quite honest. I've never heard it used so often before this off season. I'm not even sure why it's considered an option. I mean, NFL contracts aren't guaranteed for the most part. For any contract year that doesn't have a base guarantee, every year on every contract is technically "an option". Is it just an optics thing where they are softening the verbage,  or are they legitimately putting options into contracts for some weird reason now when there isn't any difference from just cutting the guy? 

Maybe has something to do with the compensation pick stuff? Just guessing but its strange how many of our guys have "options" now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Forge said:

What I'm confused about is the proliferation of the use of "options" in the nfl, to be quite honest. I've never heard it used so often before this off season. I'm not even sure why it's considered an option. I mean, NFL contracts aren't guaranteed for the most part. For any contract year that doesn't have a base guarantee, every year on every contract is technically "an option". Is it just an optics thing where they are softening the verbage,  or are they legitimately putting options into contracts for some weird reason now when there isn't any difference from just cutting the guy? 

Can they pay the signing bonus entirely over the first two years, if the last two years are only team options, or is the signing bonus still prorated over the four years of the deal? It might just be such a technicality. A way of paying guarantees in different ways. I'm not against it, since I feel both the team and player benefits from it.

Also, I asked previously, I don't remember if it's here or if it was on twitter to one of the beat writers, I never got an answer: Is a player whose option isn't picked up the same as a player who is cut? Does he become a free agent of the first day of the league year, or is he free to sign with another team as soon as his option is officially declined (aka, as soon as some kind of paperwork is filed, I suppose)? Depending on the definition of those options, does he then count in the compensation formula? For instance, we didn't release Pierre Garçon, we just didn't pick up his option. When he signs elsewhere, could he net us a 7th round comp pick? As opposed to a released player who doesn't affect the formula. It's of minor value, but it's value nonetheless. I definitely don't mind if we go that way. Paraag has been tremendous at signing very team-friendly deals, and I guess those opt-outs are part of it. Sure, we might overpay for them, but we end up with less dead money, more flexibility, and potential compensation for letting these players go.

56 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Maybe has something to do with the compensation pick stuff? Just guessing but its strange how many of our guys have "options" now.

That's actually a pretty good thought. 

58 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

That's what I was wondering about a few weeks ago. Great mind thinks alike. 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

You must be right. Guys getting cut don't count towards the compensation pick formula, so other teams can sign them and we wont receive compensation. Maybe the option is set up so that guys contract expire and therefore do count against the formula

Paraag >>>>>>

although I do remember reading that if the eagles would have declined their option on foles that they wouldn't receive a comp pick? Not sure if that is true or not. 

Edited by N4L

Just now, Forge said:

Interesting. We apparently wanted to work out a multi year deal with mostert, but they decided to hit the market instead

He probably wants to play RB more. I think it's pretty likely that he'd have a better chance of that elsewhere. He's at best our #3 back right now. 

I think Mostert is a good guy to have as your 3rd back but really i don't think i would want him to be anything more than that. With us he has two guys in front that are pretty similar so if he goes to a team where he is more unique in terms of his skillset i can see him get more carries(if everyone in front of him is healthy) than he would with us. I still think most of his value is on ST because everytime he gets more carries he seems to get hurt.

49ers restructured LB Malcolm Smith's contract.

Smith had a $5.42 million cap hit for 2019. He'll take a significant pay cut to remain in San Francisco. With only two option years remaining after this season, the 49ers can move on from Smith without any guaranteed money.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Mar 8, 2019, 7:03 PM

Well ok then. Seems you usually get locked in with a player longer with dead money if restructured, but I guess not in this case. 
  • Like 1