Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Why Collins? Not really what we need. 

I think a young S in his prime would be a great addition to our D. If I'm gonna gamble on a FA I want the youth. And he would be a big improvement over the guys we have(even after his down yr). Also heard last yr we didn't need a Derwin in the draft cuz we had Tartt(similar player)...yeah that didn't go so well. I get it everyone has the Seattle from 5 yrs ago dream with Earl Thomas...just not me.

Just now, sherm said:

I think a young S in his prime would be a great addition to our D. If I'm gonna gamble on a FA I want the youth. And he would be a big improvement over the guys we have(even after his down yr). Also heard last yr we didn't need a Derwin in the draft cuz we had Tartt(similar player)...yeah that didn't go so well. I get it everyone has the Seattle from 5 yrs ago dream with Earl Thomas...just not me.

We didn't draft Derwin because we wanted a future LT, who by the way,  was clearly worth the pick.. I'll take 10 years of a pro-bowl tackle play over 10 years of Derwin. Especially given we actually have a QB we need to protect. 

16 minutes ago, John232 said:

as much as I'd like Collins, he really isn't a huge improvement over Tartt. The only guy i'd be happy scrapping Tartt for is Amos and that's only if we get ET and the rest of our market dries up. We could probably get a 4th or even high 3rd for Tartt. 

See previous post on Tartt. Dude can't stay healthy and not an impact player for me when he is. Just my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

It's not like Earl has regressed. He was playing like one of the best players in football before the injury last year. He was insane. He also creates turnover. He had more interceptions in 4 games last year then our entire defense did all season. 

Collins is an in the box safety. This defense doesn't work without a big time single high rangy safety. His impact on this defense isn't big enough to justify the salary he's going to get, in my opinion. You can say that we can then sign Gipson, but we aren't likely to be shelling out 20 million between 3 safeties.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

We didn't draft Derwin because we wanted a future LT, who by the way,  was clearly worth the pick.. I'll take 10 years of a pro-bowl tackle play over 10 years of Derwin. Especially given we actually have a QB we need to protect. 

I wasn't talking about the pick just the discussions before we knew the pick. Everyone was saying we're good at S cuz we had Colbert and Tartt. By the way I'd take 10 yrs of All-pro over 10 yrs of Pro Bowl...if we're gonna play this gm. :)

Just now, sherm said:

I wasn't talking about the pick just the discussions before we knew the pick. Everyone was saying we're good at S cuz we had Colbert and Tartt. By the way I'd take 10 yrs of All-pro over 10 yrs of Pro Bowl...if we're gonna play this gm. :)

I more or less agree. I think Tartt is good, but not great and I think that's how the team looks at him given his extension. Tartt is good enough to where we shouldn't overpay for a safety unless they are elite. Amos is elite, Collins is not (imo). But I agree that Tartt should not have been the reason we didn't draft Derwin and I don't think he would have if in McGlinchey hadn't dropped to us. Feels like Minkah or Derwin would have been the pick. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not like Earl has regressed. He was playing like one of the best players in football before the injury last year. He was insane. He also creates turnover. He had more interceptions in 4 games last year then our entire defense did all season. 

Collins is an in the box safety. This defense doesn't work without a big time single high rangy safety. His impact on this defense isn't big enough to justify the salary he's going to get, in my opinion. You can say that we can then sign Gipson, but we aren't likely to be shelling out 20 million between 3 safeties.

Oh I'm not here to talk folks off the Earl bus. I already know that's a losing battle...lol Just putting my thoughts out there...regarldess of how it turns out. 

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I more or less agree. I think Tartt is good, but not great and I think that's how the team looks at him given his extension. Tartt is good enough to where we shouldn't overpay for a safety unless they are elite. Amos is elite, Collins is not (imo). But I agree that Tartt should not have been the reason we didn't draft Derwin and I don't think he would have if in McGlinchey hadn't dropped to us. Feels like Minkah or Derwin would have been the pick. 

What we all agree on is we need new S blood this off-season. Now what position and for how much is to be determined.

Having a pair of safeties who could play 16 games would be a great step in the right direction, for this defense. I feel like safeties are a bit like the OL. They work off of each other a lot, and they need good communication and chemistry. We had none of that last year.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So @Forge it does seem like Kawakami wasn't the only one hearing about this. 

Now, doesn't mean a trade happens or anything. But there may be something here. Though it largely depends on what they think of Murray/Haskins. 

Edit: The original tweet was created by a fake account. Now, Raanan's response is at least sort of in line with Kawakami's article. 

But the trade talks wouldn't be going on right now anyways. That's way down the process. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So @Forge it does seem like Kawakami wasn't the only one hearing about this. 

Now, doesn't mean a trade happens or anything. But there may be something here. Though it largely depends on what they think of Murray/Haskins. 

Edit: The original tweet was created by a fake account. Now, Raanan's response is at least sort of in line with Kawakami's article. 

But the trade talks wouldn't be going on right now anyways. That's way down the process. 

Yeah, I mean, of course we would be interested in him. We'd be silly not to be interested in him. But there just doesn't sound like there's a lot here right now other than the fact that we want him. We will see what happens. As you said, and as I have said in the past, really depends on how badly they want a quarterback to make the swap of 2 and 6 have any value. Because next years one and this years 2 isn't going to get it done in my opinion, and no way are we giving up #2 all on it's own. The only way the trade works is to include the swap of 2 and 6 and we just don't know how they feel about that at the current point in time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I mean, of course we would be interested in him. We'd be silly not to be interested in him. But there just doesn't sound like there's a lot here right now other than the fact that we want him. We will see what happens. As you said, and as I have said in the past, really depends on how badly they want a quarterback to make the swap of 2 and 6 have any value. Because next years one and this years 2 isn't going to get it done in my opinion, and no way are we giving up #2 all on it's own. The only way the trade works is to include the swap of 2 and 6 and we just don't know how they feel about that at the current point in time. 

Yeah, we were interested in Tom Brady two years ago (Lynch did ask Belichik about his availability, after all), but it didn't mean there were actual rumors a trade was in the works. We are very much interested in OBJ, but the Giants are not interested in trading him. Just like we are interested in Khalil Mack, but the Bears aren't going to trade him. On the other hand, if the niners are interested in me as a potential free agent, I'll sign. Even if it's just for the ground crew of the stadium and practice fields. I'll do it.