Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Highly unlikely they can stay put at #6 and get Haskins. Need to see it to believe it. Both top QBs will be gone by the 4th pick. 

Maybe. Denver can make it happen for their second if they are interested, though Oakland may charge a premium for giving up someone like QW, and may be unlikely to deal with the division (which would likely be another premium as well), so I think 5 would be more likely there. Washington is pretty far back to get into the top five, and let's be real, Cincinnati isn't making that kind of move lol. So that would leave Miami, but that could be pricey. Looking at their first, probably seconds in this and next year's draft, and maybe another piece. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Maybe. Denver can make it happen for their second if they are interested, though Oakland may charge a premium for giving up someone like QW, and may be unlikely to deal with the division (which would likely be another premium as well), so I think 5 would be more likely there. Washington is pretty far back to get into the top five, and let's be real, Cincinnati isn't making that kind of move lol. So that would leave Miami, but that could be pricey. Looking at their first, probably seconds in this and next year's draft, and maybe another piece. 

Haskins isn't lasting past the 4th pick I don't think, and wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders take him. If not I could actually see the Bengals trading up, possibly Miami, definitely Denver and the Redskins if they miss on Rosen. 

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Haskins isn't lasting past the 4th pick I don't think, and wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders take him. If not I could actually see the Bengals trading up, possibly Miami, definitely Denver and the Redskins if they miss on Rosen. 

The Bengals aren't trading up. Not with brown there. They have traded up in the draft four times.... In their history. In any round. They didn't trade up a single time in any round between 2003 -2013.

Washington needs their picks, honestly. They are strapped to Smith for two more years, which is costly, especially if he can't play, and that's a big jump that's going to cost next year's first. 

Denver is a legit candidate, though they supposedly love lock, so we will see. Miami I have no idea on. If they really are all in on quarterbacks next year, then it doesn't make sense, but at the same time, being all in on quarterbacks next year makes no sense either. I think they have to be in play to move up though. But it would be pricey from 13

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Bengals aren't trading up. Not with brown there. They have traded up in the draft four times.... In their history. In any round. They didn't trade up a single time in any round between 2003 -2013.

Washington needs their picks, honestly. They are strapped to Smith for two more years, which is costly, especially if he can't play, and that's a big jump that's going to cost next year's first. 

Denver is a legit candidate, though they supposedly love lock, so we will see. Miami I have no idea on. If they really are all in on quarterbacks next year, then it doesn't make sense, but at the same time, being all in on quarterbacks next year makes no sense either. I think they have to be in play to move up though. But it would be pricey from 13

Sure, but they haven't been in this position in a while either. They have a new coaching staff and the Dalton era is soon coming to an end. And then Green is a FA next season and who knows how much Brown is willing to pay him. So I wouldn't count them out as a trade up candidate. If they still had Lewis? Maybe.

Washington is more likely to trade for Rosen I think, but still a candidate here.

If Miami thinks Haskins is as good as the QBs coming out next year, they may make a move. 

Denver is in a great position to trade up, if they do in fact like Haskins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Sure, but they haven't been in this position in a while either. They have a new coaching staff and the Dalton era is soon coming to an end. And then Green is a FA next season and who knows how much Brown is willing to pay him. So I wouldn't count them out as a trade up candidate. If they still had Lewis? Maybe.

Washington is more likely to trade for Rosen I think, but still a candidate here.

If Miami thinks Haskins is as good as the QBs coming out next year, they may make a move. 

Denver is in a great position to trade up, if they do in fact like Haskins. 

Denver and Jags seem like the most likely threats to move up. I don't think Foles getting the huge contract prevents them from grabbing Haskins if they love him. That said, I personally think it'd behoove them to pick up Hockson or DK Metcalf. Metcalf and an improved offensive line could do wonders for that offense as long as Foles is competent. But someone like Haskins would be a really great QB to develop for a couple years. Arm talent and accuracy are there, not to mention a pretty outstanding reputation as a leader and all that jazz..If I was the Jags, I wouldn't at all be against trading up and grabbing Haskins. 

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Thoughts?

to put it succinctly... s-stoopit. 

Bosa is not a 5 TECH... That's for guys like AA and Thomas.  

It would be a waste of such talent. If they want both on the field for base D, then the answer =

Ford to SAM, and Bosa stays a LEO always. 

2 hours ago, oldman9er said:

to put it succinctly... s-stoopit. 

Bosa is not a 5 TECH... That's for guys like AA and Thomas.  

It would be a waste of such talent. If they want both on the field for base D, then the answer =

Ford to SAM, and Bosa stays a LEO always. 

Only thing that gives me pause is something Ford said at his press conference. When asked how the Niners coaches explained to him how he would be used, Ford simply said that Saleh & Co told him that he would be going forward 100% of time, meaning he would be getting upfield and into the backfield almost exclusively. Putting him@SAM isn't really inline with that declaration. I'm with you, that would be the most potent way to utilize both in base but if the staff truly meant what they told him then I'm not sure if Ford@SAM is feasible. 

The end opposite the Leo doesn't necessarily have to be a 5-Tech. It can be more of a traditional strong-side DE, as long as that DE is stout enough hold the edge and anchor against the run. Not sure if that's Bosa but he physically seems like he's capable, though I never thought he was great against the run. I wonder if they kind of foreshadowed their true pick@#2 overall. You just spent a ton of money on Ford to rush the passer. Seems a little weird to then draft a player that would then move him off the ball in base sets. But if you were to draft a guy who could play SAM in base and then drop down and put his hand in the dirt in nickel and rush the passer, opposite Ford, then you would have essentially filled two positions with one player. And there's only ONE player capable of that, slated to go top 5 -10 in this draft...

Edited by 757-NINER

58 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

something Ford said at his press conference. When asked how the Niners coaches explained to him how he would be used, Ford simply said that Saleh & Co told him that he would be going forward 100% of time, meaning he would be getting upfield and into the backfield almost exclusively. Putting him@SAM isn't really inline with that declaration.

That is interesting.. and while I do like the idea of Ford always attacking the QB.. it does confuse what the possibility of drafting another ER at #2 would prompt. Or maybe.. it doesn't. Adding another ER at #2 would have to signify that we are indeed scrapping the 43 Under.... albeit 30% that it was to be... which agrees then with this. v

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The end opposite the Leo doesn't necessarily have to be a 5-Tech.

Sure. Scrap it. Have Bosa and Ford on the edges. 

. But if you were to draft a guy who could play SAM in base and then drop down and put his hand in the dirt in nickel and rush the passer, opposite Ford, then you would have essentially filled two positions with one player. And there's only ONE player capable of that, slated to go top 5 -10 in this draft...

This would certainly increase the value of a Josh Allen for SF as a top 5 pick. 

.... and NO!!!!! to Jason Verrett... for as much as I loved u as a prospect.. you do not get Frank Gore's number. Not now. Not ever. 

Lynch said Jerick McKinnon will remain with the 49ers in 2019.

$3.7 million of McKinnon's 2019 salary guarantees on April 1, and there was some thought the 49ers would look to move on before then after signing Tevin Coleman in free agency. That will not happen, however, creating a headache of a situation in San Francisco's backfield. McKinnon and Coleman will compete with Matt Breida and perhaps even Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson for touches.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

That is interesting.. and while I do like the idea of Ford always attacking the QB.. it does confuse what the possibility of drafting another ER at #2 would prompt. Or maybe.. it doesn't. Adding another ER at #2 would have to signify that we are indeed scrapping the 43 Under.... albeit 30% that it was to be... which agrees then with this. v

Sure. Scrap it. Have Bosa and Ford on the edges. 

This would certainly increase the value of a Josh Allen for SF as a top 5 pick. 

.... and NO!!!!! to Jason Verrett... for as much as I loved u as a prospect.. you do not get Frank Gore's number. Not now. Not ever. 

The thing is I don't think they necessarily want to take Allen@2 if they indeed like him more than they're letting on. I mean if he's their guy and they don't have a trade they feel is worth dropping down for, I'm sure they just draft him #2 overall. But I think they would much rather trade down to like 5 or 6 and draft him.

I'm just spit-balling here but Allen truly is the best fit in terms of team need and how he would be used in this scheme. Even over Bosa. I just don't think he's the talent that Bosa is. Definitely not as a pass-rusher. But it's not about what I think tho. I just think us not sending anyone to his Pro Day was bad tell that they probably like him more than they're letting on. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when comes in for his pre-draft workout...

• Like 1