Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

8 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Former 2nd round pick, had a good rookie year but since then has been disappointing, TB had him inactive often last year. 

I'd say he's looking at playing SAM in our system but I really dont know much about outside of his Ohio State days. 

kinda dumb but it was an april fools joke...my b

20 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco said the plan was never for Goodwin to be THE featured WR on the team or even the second featured WR on the team. Shanahan wanted to use him in certain packages and thought he would be better playing 10-15 snaps instead of playing 45-50 snaps a game. But Goodwin really took off with Jimmy G and established himself as the #1 WR heading into last season. Shanahan doesn't want that again and we will definitely be taking a WR early in the draft. Either moving up late 1st or in the 2nd round. 

I have no problem with Goodwin not being featured as heavily. If he plays great (like he did late in 2017) and forces Kyle's hand, then great. If he doesn't, and other players step up, then great! 

• Like 1

Someone posted this in general

D3FJGnTXcAEA70g.png:large

pretty interesting, the orange is our SOS based on the over/under win totals in vegas for the 2019 season. the blue bar is based on actual 2018 winning percentage.

Forward projecting data is always a better indicator of future events than historical data, so its interesting to see the discrepancy between the two, especially because it is in our favor

also, pats jets buffalo all have some of the easiest schedules according to the 2019 forcast (1,2,6 respectively), while Miami is 17th LOL vegas must think Miami is going to be terrible

Edited by N4L

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's kind of amazing. 

One big difference the amount of YAC Mullens got. I remember PFF breaking it down saying the numbers are similar but that doesn't tell close to the story with Mullens having more off target throws and getting the benefit of Shanahan drawing up some great plays that had receivers running WIDE open. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One big difference the amount of YAC Mullens got. I remember PFF breaking it down saying the numbers are similar but that doesn't tell close to the story with Mullens having more off target throws and getting the benefit of Shanahan drawing up some great plays that had receivers running WIDE open. 

Which helps explain some of the gut feeling - like, those tight window throws shredding the Jags over and over are not something I'd trust Mullens to pull off.  

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

oh for sure. You can just look at the aDot to see the difference in the complexity of their throws. Mullens is a quarterback improved by scheme. Jimmy G is a guy that doesn't really need Shanny to be somewhat successful. Mullens is a creation of Shanny in my opinion. And Jimmy had a considerable advantage in ANY/A which wasn't shown there, 6.96 to 6.74. That being said, pretty remarkable comparable statistics overall. 

I don't have the contested throws numbers for Jimmy G, but Mullens threw to more open receivers than pretty much anyone in the league last year per next gen stats. 

5 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Stupid Mullens.. throwing the ball to the more open targets!!!! 

:P 

I like knowing that the season isn't lost with Mullens in there. Maybe he can't carry a meh team.. but I don't think he drags em down either. 

Totally agree. But what scares me is Shanahan's obvious affinity for Beathard. One would think Mullens would win the backup spot on field, but does that mean he actually gets the job? Not so sure.

That said, I love that this regime has shown complete willingness to move on quickly from mistakes, so it gives me hope in this regard. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Stupid Mullens.. throwing the ball to the more open targets!!!! 

:P 

I like knowing that the season isn't lost with Mullens in there. Maybe he can't carry a meh team.. but I don't think he drags em down either. 

This is what I think should be taken from that comparison more than anything. If Jimmy g gets hurt for a couple of games, Mullens can get us 1-1 or 2-2 in that time frame. All i want from a backup

40 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Totally agree. But what scares me is Shanahan's obvious affinity for Beathard. One would think Mullens would win the backup spot on field, but does that mean he actually gets the job? Not so sure.

That said, I love that this regime has shown complete willingness to move on quickly from mistakes, so it gives me hope in this regard. 

I actually think we will carry three before cutting Mullens for cj. I think cj is fighting for a roster spot

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually think we will carry three before cutting Mullens for cj. I think cj is fighting for a roster spot

I'm more worried we end up trading Mullens for like a 2021 6th to avoid keeping 3 on the 53-man squad.