Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hmmmm....I hope this doesn't point to taking QW in order to not "have" to give Buck such a contract. I would rather keep Buck than draft his replacement.

No, that's just Buckner understanding the market and knowing there is more money to be had after next season opposed to now. Contracts don't go down, they just go up. You think Danielle Hunter regrets signing his extension when he did after seeing what edge rushers are now getting? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, that's just Buckner understanding the market and knowing there is more money to be had after next season opposed to now. Contracts don't go down, they just go up. You think Danielle Hunter regrets signing his extension when he did after seeing what edge rushers are now getting? 

Yeah, even Lynch recently acknowledged the long-term contract would more likely come next year. If we take Williams, it's to pair with Buckner. Letting the team's best player walk is a recipe for disaster. 

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

Not sure how I feel about trading Thomas. I guess if we wait another year his value goes down substantially.

I think Armstead has more value in a trade. However, I think Thomas is going to have a surprisingly big impact on our DL in '19 (provided we don't grab QW and trade him! >:( ).

• Like 1

Not sure where I should put this, but I wanted to take a shot at an early 53-man depth chart prediction.

Offense: 25

QB: Garoppolo | Mullens

RB: McKinnon | T. Coleman | Breida | Mostert

FB: Juszczyk

Outside WR: Pettis | Samuel | Goodwin | Bourne

Slot WR: T. Taylor | James | Hurd

TE: Kittle | Celek | Smith

Tackle: Staley | McGlinchey | S. Coleman

Guard: Tomlinson | Person | Garland

Center: Richburg | Magnuson

Defense: 25

DE: Ford | Bosa | Armstead | Blair | Street

DT: Buckner | Thomas | Jones | J. Taylor

OLB: Warner | Nzeocha | Greenlaw

ILB: Alexander | Lee | Mayo

Outside CB: Sherman | Verrett | Witherspoon | Moore

Slot CB: Williams | Reed

FS: Ward | Colbert

SS: Tartt | M. Harris

Special Teams: 3

K: Gould

P: Wishnowsky

LS: Holba/Nelson

Practice Squad

• Speight QB
  • Wilson RB
  • Dunbar WR
  • Dwelley TE
  • Skule OL
  • D. Moore EDGE
  • Harris CB
  • Mosely CB
  • Williams S

Notable Transactions

• Trade Beathard for 2020 5th round pick
  • Trade Sheldon Day for 2020 5th round pick
  • Cut Garnett
  • Cut J. Matthews

41 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Not sure where I should put this, but I wanted to take a shot at an early 53-man depth chart prediction.

Offense: 25

QB: Garoppolo | Mullens

RB: McKinnon | T. Coleman | Breida | Mostert

FB: Juszczyk

Outside WR: Pettis | Samuel | Goodwin | Bourne

Slot WR: T. Taylor | James | Hurd

TE: Kittle | Celek | Smith

Tackle: Staley | McGlinchey | S. Coleman

Guard: Tomlinson | Person | Garland

Center: Richburg | Magnuson

Defense: 25

DE: Ford | Bosa | Armstead | Blair | Street

DT: Buckner | Thomas | Jones | J. Taylor

OLB: Warner | Nzeocha | Greenlaw

ILB: Alexander | Lee | Mayo

Outside CB: Sherman | Verrett | Witherspoon | Moore

Slot CB: Williams | Reed

FS: Ward | Colbert

SS: Tartt | M. Harris

Special Teams: 3

K: Gould

P: Wishnowsky

LS: Holba/Nelson

Practice Squad

• Speight QB
  • Wilson RB
  • Dunbar WR
  • Dwelley TE
  • Skule OL
  • D. Moore EDGE
  • Harris CB
  • Mosely CB
  • Williams S

Notable Transactions

• Trade Beathard for 2020 5th round pick
  • Trade Sheldon Day for 2020 5th round pick
  • Cut Garnett
  • Cut J. Matthews

I don't know why, but I have high hopes for Garnett this season. I would really like to see things turn around for him and finally contribute

32 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I don't know why, but I have high hopes for Garnett this season. I would really like to see things turn around for him and finally contribute

I wanted him to stick around, but I needed to make some cuts. Some of the cuts were hard to make.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I wanted him to stick around, but I needed to make some cuts. Some of the cuts were hard to make.

Makes sense, this is definitely the final straw for him. He needs to make huge strides, but would definitely like to be 'surprised' and watch him crack the starting lineup if he can put it all together. Fingers crossed

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think you need to take them from receiver. I don't think there is any way we carry seven. Some don't even think we will carry six

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think you need to take them from receiver. I don't think there is any way we carry seven. Some don't even think we will carry six

I agree, I see Bourne being the odd man out in this case. He has had enough opportunities to shine, i dont think he offers what the other WR's offer at this point. No way am I dropping Taylor or James for him at this point.

Our WR corps are looking good on paper at this point, hopefully we can stay healthy and utilize all the different skill sets they have to offer.

Edited by P_locniners

9 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I agree, I see Bourne being the odd man out in this case. He has had enough opportunities to shine, i dont think he offers what the other WR's offer at this point. No way am I dropping Taylor or James for him at this point.

Our WR corps are looking good on paper at this point, hopefully we can stay healthy and utilize all the different skill sets they have to offer.

Depends on what they want. James / Taylor have built in special teams advantages over the other receivers, however neither of them is going to line up on the outside for the most part either. Bourne was weirdly our best red zone threat last year, though I do agree that he's nothing special. So it'll just depend on preference. We have plenty of people who can play the slot and make up for Taylor / James (Deebo and Pettis will both slide inside every now and again). My guess is that both of James and Taylor don't make it. It'll be one or the other. If we carry only 5 receivers, likely Bourne will then also be an odd man out. But also depends on how well everyone plays leading up to the season. That will go a long way. Someone may just play well enough to force our hand into keeping them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I also thought about that. I didn't like the idea of only carrying 8 O-linemen, but I also didn't like the idea of cutting Bourne or Richie James. IMO, the WR roster battle is between those 2. 

17 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I also thought about that. I didn't like the idea of only carrying 8 O-linemen, but I also didn't like the idea of cutting Bourne or Richie James. IMO, the WR roster battle is between those 2. 

I think it's going to be interesting to see which receivers we keep. Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd are locks. Goodwin is 95%, and that remaining small percentage is just on the small possibility that he's traded for a late pick to a team that needs speed. I doubt it happens, but I will leave a small opening for it. And I think Taylor is 95%, too. The back injury killed his 2018, but I can't see how the team gets rid of him after his clutch 2017 with Jimmy.

From there it is really tough. If those are the 5, I think James gets earmarked for the practice squad. There's no reason for him to be on the roster. Given that he couldn't take advantage of a prime opportunity to make a name for himself in 2018, he would need a tremendous preseason as Taylor, Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd are all slot options and Mostert/Breida/Taylor/Reed can all handle return duties (don't care about the fluke TD). 

I think Matthews has a better chance than most here do. He's the most prolific NFL receiver on the team. But he's a journeyman who wasn't homegrown like Bourne. But he might be more versatile than Bourne in that he can play both the Z and slot roles. But Bourne is younger and should have the system down. Tough call. I think that's the preseason battle to watch. 

27 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think it's going to be interesting to see which receivers we keep. Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd are locks. Goodwin is 95%, and that remaining small percentage is just on the small possibility that he's traded for a late pick to a team that needs speed. I doubt it happens, but I will leave a small opening for it. And I think Taylor is 95%, too. The back injury killed his 2018, but I can't see how the team gets rid of him after his clutch 2017 with Jimmy.

From there it is really tough. If those are the 5, I think James gets earmarked for the practice squad. There's no reason for him to be on the roster. Given that he couldn't take advantage of a prime opportunity to make a name for himself in 2018, he would need a tremendous preseason as Taylor, Pettis, Samuel, and Hurd are all slot options and Mostert/Breida/Taylor/Reed can all handle return duties (don't care about the fluke TD). 

I think Matthews has a better chance than most here do. He's the most prolific NFL receiver on the team. But he's a journeyman who wasn't homegrown like Bourne. But he might be more versatile than Bourne in that he can play both the Z and slot roles. But Bourne is younger and should have the system down. Tough call. I think that's the preseason battle to watch. 

James has more special teams value than Taylor though. I also think Taylor's connection with Jimmy G gives him a better chance than most, but wouldn't write off James. 

But what if this entire time that Shanny's plan is to use Hurd in the slot????