Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

promote Adam peters?

Idk seems like he's also a issue. But who knows this all could be nothing more then we are 10 win team the past two season combined. Winning can fix everything, and losing will probably get lynch fired.

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, our free agent signings for the most part have been trash. So who has been responsible for that, Shanny or Lynch? I thought all this time we would make Peters the GM, but looks like he is tied on the hip with Lynch and will be gone with him. Obviously Jed will rate Shanahan higher here since he was the prized addition of the 2017 offseason and it was Shanahan who essentially picked Lynch as his GM. In a way, he chose Lynch pretty much so he could run the show. Lynch is a pawn in all of this. He wasn't highly sought after and if we let him go, nothing will change there either. 

I think calling him a pawn is a bit extreme.  It really seems they had  simpatico relationship. It seemed to me that Shanny and Lynch had a really close relationship and spoke a ton before Shanny committed to Lynch. Furthermore, Jed did as much as possibly could to insulate Lynch with experience with Peters and Mayhew. 

Again, I don't think this is scandalous in the same sense Baalke and Harbaugh was. Where it was just two raging **** heads going at eachother and ownership acting like a deer in the headlights. 

IF there is friction, it's absolutely warranted on the part of Shannahan. Lynch, simply put hasn't been good enough. Everyone and their mother knows that Lynch has done some good (if not great) things for this team. Namely, the ending of constant and massive leaks (though Jed may largely be responsible for that). He's gone out of his way to be transparent and attempt to build up good faith with the fan base. He's done a lot of image fixing, which I think he's been altogether successful at. 

But the 2017 draft is looking like a train wreck. If Kittle stays the course and Akhello, Taylor, AC and Solly all kick it up a gear(or 2), I think everyone will feel a lot better. But I don't expect that. Furthermore, his FA strategy has been HIGHLY questionable at times and again, which @Forge has hammered home many times.

He is needlessly reckless. I love that he's aggressive with getting guys and I'm even ok getting guys occasionally at not great value(Jimmy G being the biggest shoulder shrug)..but every off-season there's been at least one guy where you become absolutely flabbergasted at the price. Juice, Jerrick, Malcom, PIerre, Kwon..sure we've gotten some FA's on great vlaue too..but far too much bad outweighing the good.

I wonder who we would bring in if Lynch gets the ax next off-season.

Edited by John232

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

I think calling him a pawn is a bit extreme.  It really seems they had  simpatico relationship. It seemed to me that Shanny and Lynch had a really close relationship and spoke a ton before Shanny committed to Lynch. Furthermore, Jed did as much as possibly could to insulate Lynch with experience with Peters and Mayhew. 

Again, I don't think this is scandalous in the same sense Baalke and Harbaugh was. Where it was just two raging **** heads going at eachother and ownership acting like a deer in the headlights. 

IF there is friction, it's absolutely warranted on the part of Shannahan. Lynch, simply put hasn't been good enough. Everyone and their mother knows that Lynch has done some good (if not great) things for this team. Namely, the ending of constant and massive leaks (though Jed may largely be responsible for that). He's gone out of his way to be transparent and attempt to build up good faith with the fan base. He's done a lot of image fixing, which I think he's been altogether successful at. 

But the 2017 draft is looking like a train wreck. If Kittle stays the course and Akhello, Taylor, AC and Solly all kick it up a gear(or 2), I think everyone will feel a lot better. But I don't expect that. Furthermore, his FA strategy has been HIGHLY questionable at times and again, which @Forge has hammered home many times.

He is needlessly reckless. I love that he's aggressive with getting guys and I'm even ok getting guys occasionally at not great value(Jimmy G being the biggest shoulder shrug)..but every off-season there's been at least one guy where you become absolutely flabbergasted at the price. Juice, Jerrick, Malcom, PIerre, Kwon..sure we've gotten some FA's on great vlaue too..but far too much bad outweighing the good.

I wonder who we would bring in if Lynch gets the ax next off-season.

But at the same time Shanahan is needlessly reckless with his trade ups for offensive players in the draft lol.

I said he is a pawn simply because it was clear from day one this was Shanny's show and no one else's. Shanahan didn't go after a big name GM candidate nor a proven GM, but went after a guy NO ONE was after because he had a decent relationship with him. Trust me, this is a smart man that knows the business inside and out because of living through it with his father. He knew any disagreement was going to go his way and he would win the power struggle if there ever was one. 

All we need now is articles after the season of Shanahan blind cc'ing York LMAO. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

But at the same time Shanahan is needlessly reckless with his trade ups for offensive players in the draft lol.

I said he is a pawn simply because it was clear from day one this was Shanny's show and no one else's. Shanahan didn't go after a big name GM candidate nor a proven GM, but went after a guy NO ONE was after because he had a decent relationship with him. Trust me, this is a smart man that knows the business inside and out because of living through it with his father. He knew any disagreement was going to go his way and he would win the power struggle if there ever was one. 

All we need now is articles after the season of Shanahan blind cc'ing York LMAO. 

lmao that would be hysterical if he was Blind CCing.

I personally just think Pawn is strong. Bruce Allen comes off as a pawn...Lynch comes off as a GM who is just in over his head when it comes to some personnel decisions.

Thank you for bringing up the trade, that was a point I wanted to bring up.  it appears (if this article is true) that he isn't a pawn. I mean, we kind of saw that in the first draft room with Peter King. Where Shanny was adamant that he did not want Lynch to trade up for Beathard. He did it anyways. Lynch also had (correctly) taken Joe Williams off the board but decided to draft him anyways, to appease Shanny. 

Shanny certainly isn't blameless, but it seems like most of the personnel decisions made in the draft, even if they're offensive are still largely influenced and controlled by the FO. Also, with the exception of Beathard and Joe Williams, most of the offensive players Shanny has picked up have performed well. Even some of the scrubs off the street did well. 

Though, I will say that Lynch does have legit plausible deniability on some level with how god awful injuries have been and how extremely questionable some of the defensive coaching has been. Still falls on his shoulders..but they did make moves that fans universally agreed upon needed to be made.

I'd still contend that Lynch is far from the worst GM. But his tenure has been far too rocky for him to have a cold seat. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

lmao that would be hysterical if he was Blind CCing.

I personally just think Pawn is strong. Bruce Allen comes off as a pawn...Lynch comes off as a GM who is just in over his head when it comes to some personnel decisions.

Thank you for bringing up the trade, that was a point I wanted to bring up.  it appears (if this article is true) that he isn't a pawn. I mean, we kind of saw that in the first draft room with Peter King. Where Shanny was adamant that he did not want Lynch to trade up for Beathard. He did it anyways. Lynch also had (correctly) taken Joe Williams off the board but decided to draft him anyways, to appease Shanny. 

Shanny certainly isn't blameless, but it seems like most of the personnel decisions made in the draft, even if they're offensive are still largely influenced and controlled by the FO. Also, with the exception of Beathard and Joe Williams, most of the offensive players Shanny has picked up have performed well. Even some of the scrubs off the street did well. 

Though, I will say that Lynch does have legit plausible deniability on some level with how god awful injuries have been and how extremely questionable some of the defensive coaching has been. Still falls on his shoulders..but they did make moves that fans universally agreed upon needed to be made.

I'd still contend that Lynch is far from the worst GM. But his tenure has been far too rocky for him to have a cold seat. 

No, I think you have it completely wrong. Beathard trade up was ALL Shanahan not Lynch. The Williams trade was ALL Shanahan. And I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure the Pettis trade up was ALL Shanahan and not Lynch. There is a reason all these bonehead trades we end up making end up being for one of Shanahan's guys.

I'm not saying Lynch is terrible or anything, though he hasn't shown to be good either...YET. The unnecessary trade ups and the terrible overpay of FAs need to stop ASAP for this team to succeed. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

No, I think you have it completely wrong. Beathard trade up was ALL Shanahan not Lynch. The Williams trade was ALL Shanahan. And I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure the Pettis trade up was ALL Shanahan and not Lynch. There is a reason all these bonehead trades we end up making end up being for one of Shanahan's guys.

I'm not saying Lynch is terrible or anything, though he hasn't shown to be good either...YET. The unnecessary trade ups and the terrible overpay of FAs need to stop ASAP for this team to succeed. 

I'm recalling from the Peter King pod so you may very well be right. But if I remember correctly, Shannahan liked Beathard but didn't want to trade up, but given our QB situation at the time Lynch and York didn't want to risk it (re-reading the article now) and so they traded up. The Joe Williams thing was Shannahan the night before day 3 staring at his big board and basically begging John Lynch to make the move for him. But this is basically semantics because I agree...If you're trading up for a player, you better be right or the value given up better not be major. 

I still cringe at passing on Carl Lawson for Joe Williams and CJ Beathard. 

Yeah, Lynch hasn't been awful, can anyone really argue that we aren't FAR better off than we were 3 years ago? It's just at what cost and how sustainable is this going to be? The scrambling to cover our bases on certain positions has already begun and been pretty frantic. 

20 minutes ago, John232 said:

In fairness, the only thing I really have an issue with has been Free Agency. I have detested the way they approach it from day one. I love the contract structures, but that is Paraag, not lynch. I really have no problems with the draft themselves - 2017 just turned out poorly in round 1. But Thomas made sense - that was simply a misevaluation by a lot of people, including myself. I thought Foster was worth the risk; he was legitimately a top 10 talent in the draft, and trading up was fine in my opinion because I do value that fifth year option at a nominal cost. 

I didn't love McG last year - most people will attest that. Not because I thought he was a bad player, but I didn't expect him to go that high (though I now believe the Raiders absolutely would have taken him). I thought he was a solid first round player, just not a top 10. I also didn't view it as a dire need right off the bat. I thought there were better players. Didn't love the trade up for Pettis, but didn't hate the player himself, though I didn't view him as a guy with receiver #1 potential. 

If there's one problem I have with the draft is that I perceive that they don't fully appreciate "value". But that's a minor quibble. Who am I to proclaim that i understand the concept of manipulating the draft with full value, you know? 

But free agency? Woof...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Forge said:

In fairness, the only thing I really have an issue with has been Free Agency. I have detested the way they approach it from day one. I love the contract structures, but that is Paraag, not lynch. I really have no problems with the draft themselves - 2017 just turned out poorly in round 1. But Thomas made sense - that was simply a misevaluation by a lot of people, including myself. I thought Foster was worth the risk; he was legitimately a top 10 talent in the draft, and trading up was fine in my opinion because I do value that fifth year option at a nominal cost. 

I didn't love McG last year - most people will attest that. Not because I thought he was a bad player, but I didn't expect him to go that high (though I now believe the Raiders absolutely would have taken him). I thought he was a solid first round player, just not a top 10. I also didn't view it as a dire need right off the bat. I thought there were better players. Didn't love the trade up for Pettis, but didn't hate the player himself, though I didn't view him as a guy with receiver #1 potential. 

If there's one problem I have with the draft is that I perceive that they don't fully appreciate "value". But that's a minor quibble. Who am I to proclaim that i understand the concept of manipulating the draft with full value, you know? 

But free agency? Woof...

I've said it before, I didn't like what they were doing at the start of their rebuild with the FA but I sort of got it? They were overhauling..and just didn't give a fly **** about value. As a fan who hopes to watch a competent team, I respect that. Watching Chip and Tomsula was just torture. But the fact that they haven't really changed their financial approach at all (and they're going to have too since our cap space  has gone down dramatically..or is about too.) is kind of terrifying.

I sort of go back and forth on how much blame should be slung Lynch's way on 2017. Everyone LOVED the Foster move at the time, especially since we created value with the trade back and used it to grab the best LB in the draft. Honestly, 2017 was by far the best draft in terms of hitting value. I didn't love Thomas, but like you, I sort of got it and half expected it. Though you can certainly make the case t hat they should have gone Mahommes or Watson..but that's a bit of prospect hindsight coming into play. 

Assessing prospect value is also really hard for fans to do. We see CGJ in the fourth and we freak out, but we don't know why he's dropping. 32 passed on him 3 times before he wen't early fourth. That alone should change our preconceived notions on his value. 

So i dunno..this year is going to be HUGE for Lynch, Peters and Saleh. 

• Like 1

Well, if there is truth to it, it's not like the team had a reputation for winning games anyway. Could be worse, as we've seen. 

I wish I could laugh like @Forge about the situation. Now, I'm just indifferent. They've been a bunch of losers for a while. *shrugs* 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, John232 said:

I'm recalling from the Peter King pod so you may very well be right. But if I remember correctly, Shannahan liked Beathard but didn't want to trade up, but given our QB situation at the time Lynch and York didn't want to risk it (re-reading the article now) and so they traded up. The Joe Williams thing was Shannahan the night before day 3 staring at his big board and basically begging John Lynch to make the move for him. But this is basically semantics because I agree...If you're trading up for a player, you better be right or the value given up better not be major. 

I still cringe at passing on Carl Lawson for Joe Williams and CJ Beathard. 

Yeah, Lynch hasn't been awful, can anyone really argue that we aren't FAR better off than we were 3 years ago? It's just at what cost and how sustainable is this going to be? The scrambling to cover our bases on certain positions has already begun and been pretty frantic. 

Pretty sure that was Shanahan who was nervous he wouldn't be there in the 4th round...I mean really, you think Lynch gives a rats a$$ about CJ f'n Beathard?? That is Shanahan's guy through and through. We even talked about this last year with the trade up for Pettis that it was obvious Shanahan was behind it after what he did in the prior season. 

Anyways, this year we had no silly trade ups and all things considered, had a solid draft. A few questionable decisions, but nothing crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/01/san-francisco-49ers-nfl-draft-room-bears-trade-reuben-foster-peter-king

Yeah, I still think it was Lynch. But anyways, here's the article. 

Honestly, didn't read anything there that makes it seem like it was Lynch/York behind the trade up. I mean York said we would sleep better knowing we got our guy....Man, this guy isn't doing a damn thing during the draft aside from giving some bro hugs to Shanahan and Lynch and Marathe LOL.