Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

LOL, Armstead is not a fan of these Niner sites it seems. 

Funny thing is they are just repeating what Bill Barnwell posted on ESPN. Not like they are making it up. They typically just repeat rumors and articles from other people.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the 49ers will not pick up OG Josh Garnett's fifth-year option for 2020.

I'm sure both sides are probably fine with this. Obviously, Garnett would love to have that money, but he gets to find a better fit for himself one year earlier. He needs to be a power scheme plain and simple.

• Like 1

Honestly to execute the fifth-year on a G or C he has to be really good since T's are also in the formula. Garnett has been injured a ton and just hasn't played well enough when he did so i don't think anyone would be suprised is he is gone next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly to execute the fifth-year on a G or C he has to be really good since T's are also in the formula. Garnett has been injured a ton and just hasn't played well enough when he did so i don't think anyone would be suprised is he is gone next year.

I just hope he is fully healthy in camp this season and will have a legitimate shot at competing for the RG spot. If he gets beat by Person? So be it, but at least be able to compete for the starting spot. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just hope he is fully healthy in camp this season and will have a legitimate shot at competing for the RG spot. If he gets beat by Person? So be it, but at least be able to compete for the starting spot. 

Oh absolutely just in terms of talent Garnett is superior to Person. Person is just way more dependaple. I though last year Garnett should have won the job but the injuries and Person was just solid enough to not be replaceable.

Kentavius Street is good to go for camp, very eager to see what he can bring to the d-line, I have high hopes for him considering he was projected to go much higher in the draft before his injury. 

It's great to see the talent we have starting on our D-line, even more exciting to see the depth we currently have, the camp battles along the line are definitely going to be something to keep an eye on.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125300-kentavius-street-take-part-upcoming-49ers-rookie-minicamp/

Edited by P_locniners

35 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Kentavius Street is good to go for camp, very eager to see what he can bring to the d-line, I have high hopes for him considering he was projected to go much higher in the draft before his injury. 

It's great to see the talent we have starting on our D-line, even more exciting to see the depth we currently have, the camp battles along the line are definitely going to be something to keep an eye on.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/125300-kentavius-street-take-part-upcoming-49ers-rookie-minicamp/

Meh, that pick is still a head-scratcher for me. More so than taking a punter in the 4th round. His tape was very underwhelming. I'd be shocked if he made the roster tbh. Hope he proves me wrong tho. I see a guy headed for the PS, at best. I just don't see how he sees time over AA, Thomas, Blair, and Taylor. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, that pick is still a head-scratcher for me. More so than taking a punter in the 4th round. His tape was very underwhelming. I'd be shocked if he made the roster tbh. Hope he proves me wrong tho. I see a guy headed for the PS, at best. I just don't see how he sees time over AA, Thomas, Blair, and Taylor. 

I can see him right in the mix or given the same opportunity with Taylor.   I didn't think his college tape was bad, scouting reports seemed decent, he is a bit of an unknown at this point, so im hoping he shows flashes at least.

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Agree with this. I mean, all the best to him and his efforts from me too, but I was very disappointed with the choice and value. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Agree with this. I mean, all the best to him and his efforts from me too, but I was very disappointed with the choice and value. 

I think the majority of us were scratching our heads at this one. Just an odd choice to choose a guy where we have the most depth who was injured and the 4th best player on his line in college.

Dude is strong as hell, though. Heard the plan to use him everywhere but LEO in base defense. If he can truly backup, push, or even overtake DJ Jones, then he will be cool in my book.

13 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think the majority of us were scratching our heads at this one. Just an odd choice to choose a guy where we have the most depth who was injured and the 4th best player on his line in college.

Dude is strong as hell, though. Heard the plan to use him everywhere but LEO in base defense. If he can truly backup, push, or even overtake DJ Jones, then he will be cool in my book.

Isn't DJ basically our only true NT? For those few times we may use one, that is... Mitchell is gone and I don't see NT when I look at Street. In fact, I don't see much compared to what we already have when I look at Street... :|

40 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Isn't DJ basically our only true NT? For those few times we may use one, that is... Mitchell is gone and I don't see NT when I look at Street. In fact, I don't see much compared to what we already have when I look at Street... :|

Pretty sure one of our UDFAs matches the true nose tackle description, but Jones is likely the only one who makes the 53. And no, nobody should see NT when they look at Street, but reportedly that's where he will end up playing at times. Strength-wise, he can hold up. But that position is more than just brute strength. 

• Like 1