Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Just now, oldman9er said:

Could the kick distance really be that exact and intentional? I dunno, I would expect I'd kick off the side of my shin and it would go sideways for 12 yards...  :/ 

I know it is for the Pats. They started doing it after the rule changes. You can find articles dating back to 2017 where Gostkowski dropped his touchback rate by over 10% from one season to the next. The outcome was that the average starting position they gave up was between the 21 and 23 yard line, rather than the touchback at the 25. Just another way BB was ahead of the league. 

@oldman9er

Now yesterday's experiment has become today's strategy. Gostkowski has just 31 touchbacks, or 41.3 percent of his 75 kickoffs, down from 55.9 percent last season and 69.7 percent in 2015, making him the only kicker in the NFL to reduce his rate by 10 or more points in each of the past two years. How purposeful are Belichick & Co.? In Denver in Week 10, Gostkowski had just one touchback in eight kickoffs; the following week, facing the Raiders and Cordarrelle Patterson, he had six in seven.

Kicking short wouldn't be too valuable if Gostkowski were shanking randomly. But when he kicks to opponents' 4- to 6-yard lines, they end up returning the ball, on average, only to their own 21.4. When he boots it to their 1 to 3, returners merely make it to the 23, on average. And then there are the kicks Gostkowski places just deep enough to dangle as bait. On 16 occasions, opponents have run back his kickoffs from 3 yards or less inside their own end zones. On average, they barely reach the 20.

The key to those two years was the change from the 20 to the 25 yard line. But it was pretty clear that Gostkowski and the pats were doing this intentionally. 

• Like 1