Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

So assuming Sherman is healthy and Ward remains@CB indefinetly who starts, Ward or Witherspoon?

I'd say it is a legit question... a question that will get answered with every practice and football event prior to September.

What I want rarely happen (and often for the best), but what I want with Jimmie is to wear multiple hats. I don't want him to be a FS or a CB. I want him to be a FS and a CB. He has played FS. He has played CB. I don't think we need to be the best at either. I don't think his greatest value is as a CB or a FS. His greatest value is probably in his versatility. He's a chess piece that we can move around and attack with. I wouldn't want to ask that of Colbert or Tartt. They're both younger and less experienced, and they will gain more from learning their specific position to the fullest. I don't see as much upside at FS in Ward than I see in Colbert, and I don't see as much upside for Ward at CB than I see in Spoon or Sherman. But he can possibly be a better slot corner than Williams, at least. Move him around, make him play the slot, make him play S, make him play hybrid LB, make him play outside corner if we need one of Sherman or Spoon to cover a bigger slot receiver, maybe. Or maybe we re-sign Reid and give him that task. Or maybe we use Tartt's big body to knock a big slot receiver around, while Ward and Colbert play deep. I loooooove versatility. And I think Ward's best shot at being an elite defender is by being a versatile chess piece.

But of course, since I love the idea and I feel it would be awesome, it won't happen. They'll stick Ward at his lesser option, misused, then he'll get injured and we'll let him walk as a free agent.

• Like 1

Just now, rudyZ said:

What I want rarely happen (and often for the best), but what I want with Jimmie is to wear multiple hats. I don't want him to be a FS or a CB. I want him to be a FS and a CB. He has played FS. He has played CB. I don't think we need to be the best at either. I don't think his greatest value is as a CB or a FS. His greatest value is probably in his versatility. He's a chess piece that we can move around and attack with. I wouldn't want to ask that of Colbert or Tartt. They're both younger and less experienced, and they will gain more from learning their specific position to the fullest. I don't see as much upside at FS in Ward than I see in Colbert, and I don't see as much upside for Ward at CB than I see in Spoon or Sherman. But he can possibly be a better slot corner than Williams, at least. Move him around, make him play the slot, make him play S, make him play hybrid LB, make him play outside corner if we need one of Sherman or Spoon to cover a bigger slot receiver, maybe. Or maybe we re-sign Reid and give him that task. Or maybe we use Tartt's big body to knock a big slot receiver around, while Ward and Colbert play deep. I loooooove versatility. And I think Ward's best shot at being an elite defender is by being a versatile chess piece.

But of course, since I love the idea and I feel it would be awesome, it won't happen. They'll stick Ward at his lesser option, misused, then he'll get injured and we'll let him walk as a free agent.

In fairness, he'll get injured even if we used him your way as well :D

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, he'll get injured even if we used him your way as well :D

Yeah. That's why the position switch is ultimately pointless. :P

It doesn't matter whether he's an injured corner or an injured safety. We might as well try him at guard. He'll just be an injured guard instead.

Looks like Armstead will be on the team for not only this season, but also next year.

Don't have a problem with it. I like him more than most. But no question the Thomas pick minimizes his pass rushing abilities from the inside.

Our run defense should be very good, and Armstead will be a big reason for it. 

On 4/24/2018 at 6:28 PM, oldman9er said:

I'd say it is a legit question... a question that will get answered with every practice and football event prior to September.

I think Sherman and Witherspoon are our starting outside corners. K'Waun Williams and Jimmy Ward split nickel corner snaps and D.J. Reed comes in after those two. I think Jimmy Ward also plays some FS as well. There's no guarantee that Colbert takes a step forward this year and K'Waun had a pretty up and down season last year, so having Ward play all over the secondary is a huge benefit for the niners. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think Sherman and Witherspoon are our starting outside corners. K'Waun Williams and Jimmy Ward split nickel corner snaps and D.J. Reed comes in after those two. I think Jimmy Ward also plays some FS as well. There's no guarantee that Colbert takes a step forward this year and K'Waun had a pretty up and down season last year, so having Ward play all over the secondary is a huge benefit for the niners. 

Agree with pretty much all of this