Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

36 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Interesting. Picked in the 7th round and cut before the season started. But has managed to hang in the NFL for 6 years since then.

And, surprisingly, start 18 games. I didn't know he did that. He started 14 games at Center for the Falcons in 2015, which is probably the reason Lynch brought him in. I'm interested to see how the backup center battle will go between Person and Magnuson. 

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Interesting. Picked in the 7th round and cut before the season started. But has managed to hang in the NFL for 6 years since then.

I think he made the roster as a rookie but didn't get any playing time...

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Can we please just sign eric reid already? I get that we want tartt to take over, but the guy has had some injury problems

Didn't we already offer him a 1 year deal?  

9 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah and Eric said he wouldn't take less then what he was paid last season.

If you're not in demand, there is no way to change that. Safeties in general haven't made big contracts lately. Don't know why he thinks he'll get one. We already have better prospects on the team or they would not have extended Tartt

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

To play LB? Not sure he's interested in that. 

I guess the only thing would be what choice does he have. I mean if he wants to wait it out till training camp when a player gets injured but I doubt he gets paid very much. I want him to sign with a team I'm a big Reid fan. I think he should take whatever offer he gets right now. Use the motivation to excel on the field and hopefully get a bigger deal next year. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

Do you guys have any trades you’d like to see made before the season? I wouldn’t mind trying to pry Dante Fowler away from the Jags. His deal is up after the season I believe and they already declined his 5th year option so I highly doubt they’d be willing to franchise him. I’d love to see what he’s got and he should already be intimately familiar with this defense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Do you guys have any trades you’d like to see made before the season? I wouldn’t mind trying to pry Dante Fowler away from the Jags. His deal is up after the season I believe and they already declined his 5th year option so I highly doubt they’d be willing to franchise him. I’d love to see what he’s got and he should already be intimately familiar with this defense.

I've heard his name floated around along with Shane Ray. Both would completely change the way that I view this off-season. 

I doubt the jags trade Fowler considering they certainly have Superbowl aspirations this year. It's a good business move, no doubt. It's the kind of move that has kept NE competitive for so long, but that's a lot easier to do when you've won multiple championships compared to a team, owner, and city who are starved for their first title of any kind in any sport. 

Depends on price tag for Ray/Fowler. Really wouldn't surprise me to see a trade where Armstead, K'uann Williams or Ward get dealt for pass rush help. That said, I'd probably be more inclined for Fowler, but would like both. Both could be real good long term role players for us until we find our elite LEO/stud guy.  Although, I would also be inquiring about Yannick too. 

Thomas though, struggled badly in Year 1, earning an ugly-looking overall PFF grade of 53.2, including a pass-rush grade of 46.5. He rushed the passer 401 times in his rookie season, and affected the quarterback only 30 times for one of the worst pressure rates of any defensive linemen in the game.

The root of his struggles lie in being played out of position as a rookie. Thomas is something of a tweener when it comes to body type (just 273-pounds at the NFL combine), but is fundamentally an interior lineman not an edge rusher. In his final season at Stanford, he played a true edge alignment on fewer than 10.0 percent of his snaps (9.4), but that number became 71.1 percent in 2017.

There is very little in the way of ‘true’ interior alignment from Thomas as a rookie – almost everything was over or outside of the tackle – but he was significantly more productive on the few snaps he did align inside, generating pressure once every 4.3 pass-rushes compared to just 14.5 when lined up on the edge.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-how-san-francisco-can-get-the-most-out-of-solomon-thomas

Not surprising at all. Thomas just has no advantages rushing from the edge. More interior rushes should lead to more success. He's more explosive than Buckner and that will help him generate more sacks from the inside, but the potential from those two rushing from the inside on passing downs is great. We could really wreck havoc from the interior.....Just not sure what we get from the edge. Guys like Marsh aren't going to be the answer.