Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

On 8/22/2018 at 7:07 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I asked about Staley making the HOF least year and got responses of he is Hall of very good opposed to a Hall of Famer. That is fair, but say he has two more borderline elite seasons like last year? And he makes two more Pro Bowls? He would then have the longevity plus the sheer amount of pro bowl appearances to have a case for making it. 

Was never the best in the league at his position. That's a huge knock. And Pro Bowl nominations now are pretty much worthless compared to twenty years ago. I don't think Joe has a case at all. I think he'll fall into the same box as a Will Wolford, Tarik Glenn, Matt Light, or Willie Anderson. Good, sometimes great tackles, but not considered HOF level. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Was never the best in the league at his position. That's a huge knock. And Pro Bowl nominations now are pretty much worthless compared to twenty years ago. I don't think Joe has a case at all. I think he'll fall into the same box as a Will Wolford, Tarik Glenn, Matt Light, or Willie Anderson. Good, sometimes great tackles, but not considered HOF level. 

Joe is a great guy and a very good player, but I don't think he's one of the greats. He'll be remembered by niner fans for a long time, but I don't think he'll be remembered by the rest of the league. And that's okay. Not everyone gets to make the HoF. And for an OL, being under the radar is somewhat of a compliment. 

15 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Joe is a great guy and a very good player, but I don't think he's one of the greats. He'll be remembered by niner fans for a long time, but I don't think he'll be remembered by the rest of the league. And that's okay. Not everyone gets to make the HoF. And for an OL, being under the radar is somewhat of a compliment. 

He'll make the 49ers Ring of Honor at least. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

You don't have to be the best in your position to make the Pro Browl. But the question is was he top 3 at his position for long enough? A lot of tackles will be in contention for the HOF close to Staley's age. So that may keep him out. But disagree that making say 8 pro bowls wouldn't be impressive or something that the voters had to think long and hard about. Remember, voters likely have no idea what to look for when evaluating OL. They will just look at the awards and accomplishments. 

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You don't have to be the best in your position to make the Pro Browl. But the question is was he top 3 at his position for long enough? A lot of tackles will be in contention for the HOF close to Staley's age. So that may keep him out. But disagree that making say 8 pro bowls wouldn't be impressive or something that the voters had to think long and hard about. Remember, voters likely have no idea what to look for when evaluating OL. They will just look at the awards and accomplishments. 

I'm talking about HOF induction. Most of the guys in there had multiple seasons where they were thought of as the best among their peers. Joe was never that.

Even though writers aren't evaluating offensive line play, they do remember who the talk of town used to be at certain points in time. Staley never being considered a first team All Pro guy will hold him back. A lot of the guys I listed are in the same box if not a step above. They aren't getting in.

Edited by PapaShogun

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm talking about HOF induction. Most of the guys in there had multiple seasons where they were thought of as the best among their peers. Joe was never that.

Even though writers aren't evaluating offensive line play, they do remember who the talk of town used to be at certain points in time. Staley never being considered a first team All Pro guy will hold him back. A lot of the guys I listed are in the same box if not a step above. They aren't getting in. 

I meant the HOF. Sorry, *you don't have to be the best at your position to make the HOF. 

They do remember the talk of town sure, but they will also remember how he ends his career. If the team does well and the offense is rolling, then he will get more attention and appreciation. Staley doesn't have any first team All Pro births and that much is true, but he is a 3x AP 2nd team All Pro, 2x PFF 2nd team All Pro and actually was voted 1st team All Pro in 2013 by the Pro Football Writers. If he gets two more All Pro births even if they are 2nd team that would help him greatly. 

Ultimately though, as I stated he has other candidates in his era who have better claims. Thomas, Peters, Williams and Smith. The latter needs a bit more longevity and back issues may prevent that but still on his way to the HOF. Staley is probably in the same category as guys like Whitworth and Brown. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

26 minutes ago, John232 said:

I don't buy this at all. SF would lose around $2M by getting rid of Garcon without saving a penny. How high of a pick is $11M worth? Certainly a higher pick that any team is willing to give up for 32 year old receiver who is good but not great.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Would be a horrible, even classless decision to cut Garcon at this point. As interesting as some young WR dudes are, Garcon is proven and still better. One more year for Garcon. After that, I get the wisdom of letting go. 

100% this. Especially since you would be letting him go to keep Aaron Burbridge or Aldrick Robinson. This would be straight foolish. Even if they want to start Dante Pettis with Goodwin, I'd rather see Pierre Garcon in as a sub WR and keep his veteran presence around. 

The exception - If the trade coincides with a separate acquisition of a greater WR. If the team had decided to sign Dez Bryant or trade for another available player, then I get it. I personally don't want that at this point. But I'd get it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

100% this. Especially since you would be letting him go to keep Aaron Burbridge or Aldrick Robinson. This would be straight foolish. Even if they want to start Dante Pettis with Goodwin, I'd rather see Pierre Garcon in as a sub WR and keep his veteran presence around. 

The exception - If the trade coincides with a separate acquisition of a greater WR. If the team had decided to sign Dez Bryant or trade for another available player, then I get it. I personally don't want that at this point. But I'd get it.

I wouldn't want Dez's antics anywhere near my Jimmy, but I get what you are saying about ifs, not necessarily wants. My first thought had gone to making cap room for a big trade like Mack, but no, they already have space.  I'm just going to go with the writer throwing out wild possibilities for click-bait. 

7 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I wouldn't want Dez's antics anywhere near my Jimmy, but I get what you are saying about ifs, not necessarily wants. My first thought had gone to making cap room for a big trade like Mack, but no, they already have space.  I'm just going to go with the writer throwing out wild possibilities for click-bait. 

This is my thinking as well. Or he's just massively overreacting to the fact that Garcon isn't great in practice and TC. If I'm not mistaken, it was the same thing last year. Very possible he's just not an off season warrior type and people are just assuming the worst for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

Don't see Garcon getting cut at all. He looked good last week and Shanny seems to love him. Definitely promising to see Pettis emerge but it doesn't make a whole a lot of success to cut Garcon this year. After the season though? Sure, but not now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm actually really surprised by this. Obviously, I thought that Garnett had done enough in the preseason the last two games to show that he should be the starter. He wasn't great, but I thought he was superior to Person and Cooper (god, what a bad signing that was. Thank God it was harmless). But even more so, I'm a little surprised just because with Mags out, Person is the only backup center we have on the roster I'm pretty sure. Having him go down could put us in a bit of a pickle. 

• Like 1