Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm actually really surprised by this. Obviously, I thought that Garnett had done enough in the preseason the last two games to show that he should be the starter. He wasn't great, but I thought he was superior to Person and Cooper (god, what a bad signing that was. Thank God it was harmless). But even more so, I'm a little surprised just because with Mags out, Person is the only backup center we have on the roster I'm pretty sure. Having him go down could put us in a bit of a pickle. 

I thought it would be surprising if Garnett got the starting gig over him. Person was the one participating throughout training camp and he got the start in all these games. And really, I don't think he played bad enough or Garnett was THAT much better to take his spot. Do I think at some point in the season Garnett takes over for him? Probably, but thought it was a fair bet for Person to start the season at RG.

9 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Crazy enough I still think we trade Garnett.

With our lack of depth it doesn't make a whole a lot of sense to do so. What are we going to rely on then, Cooper? Dude who has been battling a bad knee all throughout camp and has looked medicore as hell in the preseason? 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

With our lack of depth it doesn't make a whole a lot of sense to do so. What are we going to rely on then, Cooper? Dude who has been battling a bad knee all throughout camp and has looked medicore as hell in the preseason? 

Actually agree with J here, even though I've one of the biggest bus drivers of the "garnett will be traded camp". Had we still had Mags and Cooper was healthy, he absolutely would be gone, but at this point I don't know why you would do that at all. Would much rather trust Garnett at the current point in time than Cooper. Maybe when Coop is healthy he'll be better, but he's never been all that impressive, never been all that healthy in his career

Unless the trade value is excellent (thinking 3rd rd which seems unlikely), I don't like trading Garnett a bit.

I'm looking at 2018+ as contending years, and losing good depth on the OL is a turnoff. His contract years of 2.5 and 2.9 are affordable, and I think he's better value than some IOL prospect on day 3 next year. 

Edited by oldman9er
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Unless the trade value is excellent (thinking 3rd rd which seems unlikely), I don't like trading Garnett a bit.

I'm looking at 2018+ as contending years, and losing good depth on the OL is a turnoff. His contract years of 2.5 and 2.9 are affordable, and I think he's better value than some IOL prospect on day 3 next year. 

To me, this depends on if we can find another Laken Tomlinson at this point of the preseason. If we can- trading Garnett makes sense again. If not, he sort of HAS to make the team at this point. 

41 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

To me, this depends on if we can find another Laken Tomlinson at this point of the preseason. If we can- trading Garnett makes sense again. If not, he sort of HAS to make the team at this point. 

But why take someone elses Garnett when we have one ourself who basically has never played a meaningful snap in this scheme. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

But why take someone elses Garnett when we have one ourself who basically has never played a meaningful snap in this scheme. 

Same exact question could have been asked last year about Laken Tomlinson. Garnett had to adjust his body to try and fit the zone blocking scheme here. It is quite possible that Shanahan or Lynch could favor another player who naturally fits the scheme.

That, and of course, the regime would find THEIR Joshua Garnett, and not one of the previous regime. That matters. Same as it did when I said Eli Harold wasn't likely to stick around in 2018. Getting away from Baalke picks has been a solid model for success for the new regime.