Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Same exact question could have been asked last year about Laken Tomlinson. Garnett had to adjust his body to try and fit the zone blocking scheme here. It is quite possible that Shanahan or Lynch could favor another player who naturally fits the scheme.

That, and of course, the regime would find THEIR Joshua Garnett, and not one of the previous regime. That matters. Same as it did when I said Eli Harold wasn't likely to stick around in 2018. Getting away from Baalke picks has been a solid model for success for the new regime. 

We traded for Tomlinson after Garnett went down though.

If we trade for someone that is a direct fit in our scheme and is better than Garnett yeah go for it but in the current NFL almost all teams have troubles along the O-line so those types of guys aren't that readily available. You don't believe in Garnett and that's fine but comparing him to Harold who has shown three years straight he isnt the answer to me isn't the same as the Garnett situation at this point.

4 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

We traded for Tomlinson after Garnett went down though.

If we trade for someone that is a direct fit in our scheme and is better than Garnett yeah go for it but in the current NFL almost all teams have troubles along the O-line so those types of guys aren't that readily available. You don't believe in Garnett and that's fine but comparing him to Harold who has shown three years straight he isnt the answer to me isn't the same as the Garnett situation at this point.

Garnett may have already had his minor injury, but that is certainly not the reason he was "replaced" by Tomlinson. He was given a redshirt year, same as Joe Williams, because the team wanted to hang on to him and knew he wasn't going to contribute in 2017. 

Garnett and Harold are perfectly comparable. They're 100% the same.

Eli Harold was drafted by Trent Baalke.

Joshua Garnett was drafted by Trent Baalke. 

100% the same other than the name at the beginning. It's the name at the end that matters more. My opinion of Garnett is irrelevant, and none of my opinion of him as a player factors in here. None of my opinion of Eli Harold as a player factored into my projection that he would be gone. Watching Shanahan and Lynch ship Baalke picks off like sending diseased folks to a leper colony is all that is needed for this.

20 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Garnett may have already had his minor injury, but that is certainly not the reason he was "replaced" by Tomlinson. He was given a redshirt year, same as Joe Williams, because the team wanted to hang on to him and knew he wasn't going to contribute in 2017. 

Garnett and Harold are perfectly comparable. They're 100% the same.

Eli Harold was drafted by Trent Baalke.

Joshua Garnett was drafted by Trent Baalke. 

100% the same other than the name at the beginning. It's the name at the end that matters more. My opinion of Garnett is irrelevant, and none of my opinion of him as a player factors in here. None of my opinion of Eli Harold as a player factored into my projection that he would be gone. Watching Shanahan and Lynch ship Baalke picks off like sending diseased folks to a leper colony is all that is needed for this.

So basically Buckner is also 100% comparable to both of them. Guess we will ship him out too soon. 

This is a pointless discussion and shipping everything just under the thing it is a Baalke draft pick so he will be gone is just a pointless argument. They want guys that fit in what they want and yeah that is different than what Baalke was looking for so a lot of the guys from Baalke are gone. Besides that Baalke's draft where awfull for the most time so there was no talent and from all the guys we have shipped out almost none are starters anywhere else because they just where not good football players. On the other side there where also a guys that got signed for sizeable contracts/got traded for by our current regime that got cut.

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

So basically Buckner is also 100% comparable to both of them. Guess we will ship him out too soon. 

This is a pointless discussion and shipping everything just under the thing it is a Baalke draft pick so he will be gone is just a pointless argument. They want guys that fit in what they want and yeah that is different than what Baalke was looking for so a lot of the guys from Baalke are gone. Besides that Baalke's draft where awfull for the most time so there was no talent and from all the guys we have shipped out almost none are starters anywhere else because they just where not good football players. On the other side there where also a guys that got signed for sizeable contracts/got traded for by our current regime that got cut.

It's incredible that you can note all of that in the second paragraph and still not accept why I am pretty confident Garnett is not a long-term fixture on this team. 

As for Buckner, yes, obviously he's sticking around. The difference, of course, being that Buckner readily showed from Day one that he was a starter and a budding star player. Eli Harold and Joshua Garnett both struggled in their first two seasons (Garnett in his second offseason/preseason before being shut down). Eli Harold was no better in his third year. Garnett is going into his and we'll see.

In other words, I am not exactly Nostradamus in predicting guys like Harold and Garnett, picks of an old GM - both for different schemes - both picks of an awful GM with a history of very few success stories - both never performing exceptionally well at any given time - and both at spots where the current regime might want improvement (fits all your criteria above) - aren't going to pan out in San Francisco. 

You can believe differently. That's cool. I'd love to see Garnett play really well finally. I'll be happy if he just plays like he did the last couple weeks of preseason all year. 

But I won't be shocked if he gets the Trent Brown treatment either.

26 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's incredible that you can note all of that in the second paragraph and still not accept why I am pretty confident Garnett is not a long-term fixture on this team. 

As for Buckner, yes, obviously he's sticking around. The difference, of course, being that Buckner readily showed from Day one that he was a starter and a budding star player. Eli Harold and Joshua Garnett both struggled in their first two seasons (Garnett in his second offseason/preseason before being shut down). Eli Harold was no better in his third year. Garnett is going into his and we'll see.

In other words, I am not exactly Nostradamus in predicting guys like Harold and Garnett, picks of an old GM - both for different schemes - both picks of an awful GM with a history of very few success stories - both never performing exceptionally well at any given time - and both at spots where the current regime might want improvement (fits all your criteria above) - aren't going to pan out in San Francisco. 

You can believe differently. That's cool. I'd love to see Garnett play really well finally. I'll be happy if he just plays like he did the last couple weeks of preseason all year. 

But I won't be shocked if he gets the Trent Brown treatment either.

Guess it is a bit of a misunderstanding in how i read certain posts. Look i understand that Garnett might very well not be in the plans of our front office/coaching staff for the future but when i just look at the coming season i don't see Garnett not being one of the two best guards on our roster unless we trade or sign someone else. Especially when you look at salary and see a guy like Cooper getting almost double what Garnett will make.

As for Garnett, it makes sense not to have confidence, we don't really know much about him yet. I think Person is more consistent overall but Garnett's big plays and his power in the run game are more impactful than Person's. Garnett is simply more powerful than Person having come from Stanford's power run scheme. Garnett has the potential to create massive holes in the run game, but the tradeoff is he might allow one or two extra pressures per game when it comes to passing. We'll see as time goes on. I would caution reading too far into Shanahan’s comments after practice and games. As a coach, Shanahan is incentivized to reward that with comments. But the main takeaway is that Shanahan emphasized the battle is not over yet.

3 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Guess it is a bit of a misunderstanding in how i read certain posts. Look i understand that Garnett might very well not be in the plans of our front office/coaching staff for the future but when i just look at the coming season i don't see Garnett not being one of the two best guards on our roster unless we trade or sign someone else. Especially when you look at salary and see a guy like Cooper getting almost double what Garnett will make.

Yeah, I agree. I think I was responding to Oldman, maybe, earlier in the thread. There's definitely not anyone on this roster that would bump him off. But, I don't know what this regime truly thinks about Garnett given that Person is still the starter. A lot of things can happen in the next 3 or 4 days. They might be looking at potential cuts elsewhere. Maybe a guy we were looking at late in the draft and thought they would be a great fit is not a fit for another team that wants to try and stash them on the practice squad and we pick him up.

But, there's no other option on the roster. So the choice is keep Garnett and hope his good play recently continues. Or find one currently not on the team. 

Our very own D.J. Reed made PFF's top rookie preseason team. I know people on here aren't sold on PFF, but it's still great to see a late round pick balling out so far. Lynch has really made a knack for finding late round/UDFA gems so far. That's how you build deep rosters.

Dl3LiJlWsAARLvu.jpg:large

Full article:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/8/30/17801002/pro-football-focus-grades-2018-rookie-team-49ers-dj-reed-among-nickel-backs

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

I wasn't really interested in Josh Jackson as he's like 1000% zone corner only and was pretty terrible in man coverage. He wouldn't transition well to our scheme. The guy who I was really bummed about passing on was Isiah Oliver. He was a perfect scheme fit and really athletic. 

I don't see Reed winning the starting nickel role...at least not initially. With Saleh playing Reed at nickel corner and back up FS, I'd imagine he'd like to keep him there for versatility purposes, rather than keeping him to one position specifically. I think if Reed balls out this year, I expect him to really challenge for that starting nickel spot next year.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Josh Jackson was one of my fave CB prospects this year. Nice to see he is panning out so far...let's see in REAL games. 

Will DJ beat out K'waun (sp?)?

The funny thing is, supposedly he was struggling in practices and at the start of camp...then it just appeared to click for him and he started doing really well at the end of camp and into preseason. 

On 8/30/2018 at 12:25 PM, NinerNation21 said:

Our very own D.J. Reed made PFF's top rookie preseason team. I know people on here aren't sold on PFF, but it's still great to see a late round pick balling out so far. Lynch has really made a knack for finding late round/UDFA gems so far. That's how you build deep rosters.

Dl3LiJlWsAARLvu.jpg:large

Full article:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/8/30/17801002/pro-football-focus-grades-2018-rookie-team-49ers-dj-reed-among-nickel-backs

So who do they have on offense