Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

On 9/14/2018 at 11:21 AM, big9erfan said:

Yes. I liked Lee too. I was surprised he went undrafted and was happy when we picked him up. But nothing I saw then or since makes me think he is anythjing other than a role player in the NFL. I'll be really hnappy if I'm wrong about that.

Smith has barely played since 2016. So at this point he is probably more of an unknown than Lee. I get that. And he's older too. But he proved that at some point in his career he could be an NFL starter, or at least a high quality backup. That's what I'm hoping for ... again expecting nothing more than an upgrade from Coyle,. Clearly our coaching staff didn't think Lee was, or he would have been starting instead of Coyle.

He was a seventh round draft pick. I think he’s a primary backup and special teamer, which should make Coyle expendable. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I seriously doubt Shanny/Lynch want Gordon at all...too much baggage.

I get it but honestly it can't hurt to kick the tires. You lose nothing if he relapses. Our future wasn't based on Josh Gordon being here anyway. It's obvious Lynch & Co are building this thing for the long haul, drafting their type of guys and letting them develop over time. Bringing in a guy like Gordon won't hinder that. He would allow us to not have to rely on younger players in some vital roles who may not be fully ready to be contributors, so early. It would allow us more stable production and let them ease into a role, as they develop. I don't view Gordon as some cornerstone player in the same way I viewed Mack. You bring him in and add him to a foundation you've already began to build. You just don't build around him, like he's some foundational peice that warrants importance.

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

I think if we get Gordon we see Kendrick Bourne sent to the PS. 

Agreed. I think the team likes James too much to risk trying to get him through to the PS. Obviously, the team likes Bourne, but I Think they probably would believe there's a better chance that he gets through and I have to imagine they like James a little more long term. 

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

You'll forget that everyone will call our FO idiots for not moving on him. 

Honestly, I don't care if we have him. One of the reasons we are struggling a bit in the passing game is that Goodwin is missing in my opinion. I think it's hard to get a read on the full receiver situation without being fully healthy. Would he help? Sure. Do we need him? I really don't think so, but it's still a bit early. 

That being said, would I hate making a move for him? Absolutely not. I like that they are monitoring it, potentially interested but not dying for him or anything. I'd welcome him aboard for sure if we made that move and I'd be excited to have him. And if we don't, we don't, and I'm cool with that too.