Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

Definitely. Then a game like Detroit gets somewhat negated because I think runs of over 20 yards arent weighed as favorably in the formula. Basically an 80 yard run counts about the same as a 20 yard run... and breida had some 20+ yard runs

This is accurate. Was listening to barnwell and he had one of the FO guys on, and they were talking about James Conner, who actually grades out by FO to be rather average, and he said it was due to Conners chunk yardage plays

15 hours ago, Geek said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/frankgore/status/1062763825747976195

These two should just get married already. 

Ugh. What a Harbaugh lovefest going on that thread, too. I loved him at the time, too--now I know better. He just happened to be there when our talent peaked. Too bad it didn't become our 6th winning Super Bowl...due to coaching choices and mistakes on the field. So disappointing that Cowboy, Willis, Gore didn't get a championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Ugh. What a Harbaugh lovefest going on that thread, too. I loved him at the time, too--now I know better. He just happened to be there when our talent peaked. Too bad it didn't become our 6th winning Super Bowl...due to coaching choices and mistakes on the field. So disappointing that Cowboy, Willis, Gore didn't get a championship.

Agree - Add Staley and Bowman to that list as well. I'd also say Vernon, but he got to tag along for one in Denver.

Well, obviously any coach that takes a team to the conference championship three years in a row either has a SPECIAL QB or a talented squad or even both. Harbaugh was legit here. Could he done some things differently? Sure, but the team was physical as hell and was clutch in getting stops when they were needed. Opposed to the crap we have seen the last four years. This team never makes any big time stop now. Have blown three or four games this year off that alone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, obviously any coach that takes a team to the conference championship three years in a row either has a SPECIAL QB or a talented squad or even both. Harbaugh was legit here. Could he done some things differently? Sure, but the team was physical as hell and was clutch in getting stops when they were needed. Opposed to the crap we have seen the last four years. This team never makes any big time stop now. Have blown three or four games this year off that alone. 

I love Jim. I loved him before he came here, during, and still do. He's one hell of a man. But his strength has never been coaching. His strength is his enthusiasm. He's insane, and it's contagious. I feel that's how he managed to recruit one hell of a coaching staff. Let's face it, give Vic Fangio a great roster of guys, and he'll stop other teams. And for those three years, that's just what we did. Harbaugh wouldn't have won as many games without Fangio and that roster of players. Willis, Bowman, Smith and Smith are just the real superstars, the real hatputs. But there wasn't a weak link on those defenses. But there were these four guys who were just so high above league average (at their respective postions), that it made the average players we had look even better. 2012 was an all-time great D. It's sad, because our loss in that superbowl means it will never be ranked with those great defenses of history, those bears defenses, those ravens, and steelers, or the seahawks D that will be remembered just because they did win the Superbowl. Our D was legit.

Harbaugh only had to have a good offense to bring this team to the NFCCG. And we had a great running game. 2011 was remarkable. The way we had a productive run game, despite the 8 man boxes we constantly faced, it was amazing. And we did that with Adam Snyder starting, right? That year 1, the run game was so unique, so varied, it was beautiful. And Alex did just enough. And then Kap did just enough in his own way. Sure, he beat the packers practically by himself, but to me that says more about the Packers than it does about him. We were fortunate to have those years, and I loved watching Harbaugh on the sideline. It's rare that the coach is worth the price of admission, but Jim was worth it. But it couldn't last. It was never gonna last. He was never going to coach here for 20 years. I think Jim would implode before it happened (he almost did, he had a heart thingy). He's like Elon Musk. Musk could have stayed at paypal for 40 years, but that wasn't enough. He wants more, and starts irritating people around him if he's stuck in a routine for too long. Difficult to work with, but has that energy, that drive and that enthusiasm that can change the world. In Jim's case, it was almost enough to win a Superbowl. But it was never going to be a dynasty.

Kyle is someone I could see being here until 2045. He's home. He's good. Let's hope we get him the ingredients to cook up a few superbowl wins.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I love Jim. I loved him before he came here, during, and still do. He's one hell of a man. But his strength has never been coaching. His strength is his enthusiasm. He's insane, and it's contagious. I feel that's how he managed to recruit one hell of a coaching staff. Let's face it, give Vic Fangio a great roster of guys, and he'll stop other teams. And for those three years, that's just what we did. Harbaugh wouldn't have won as many games without Fangio and that roster of players. Willis, Bowman, Smith and Smith are just the real superstars, the real hatputs. But there wasn't a weak link on those defenses. But there were these four guys who were just so high above league average (at their respective postions), that it made the average players we had look even better. 2012 was an all-time great D. It's sad, because our loss in that superbowl means it will never be ranked with those great defenses of history, those bears defenses, those ravens, and steelers, or the seahawks D that will be remembered just because they did win the Superbowl. Our D was legit.

Harbaugh only had to have a good offense to bring this team to the NFCCG. And we had a great running game. 2011 was remarkable. The way we had a productive run game, despite the 8 man boxes we constantly faced, it was amazing. And we did that with Adam Snyder starting, right? That year 1, the run game was so unique, so varied, it was beautiful. And Alex did just enough. And then Kap did just enough in his own way. Sure, he beat the packers practically by himself, but to me that says more about the Packers than it does about him. We were fortunate to have those years, and I loved watching Harbaugh on the sideline. It's rare that the coach is worth the price of admission, but Jim was worth it. But it couldn't last. It was never gonna last. He was never going to coach here for 20 years. I think Jim would implode before it happened (he almost did, he had a heart thingy). He's like Elon Musk. Musk could have stayed at paypal for 40 years, but that wasn't enough. He wants more, and starts irritating people around him if he's stuck in a routine for too long. Difficult to work with, but has that energy, that drive and that enthusiasm that can change the world. In Jim's case, it was almost enough to win a Superbowl. But it was never going to be a dynasty.

Kyle is someone I could see being here until 2045. He's home. He's good. Let's hope we get him the ingredients to cook up a few superbowl wins.

Here is the thing, Harbaugh has had elite defenses in Stanford/SF/Michigan. Do you think it is a coincidence that every team he coaches becomes a dominant defensive ball club? No, that is just his style and he surrounds himself with a great coaching staff. That should be applauded not condemned. Staley has commented on his practice style and how physical and taxing it was. You can't last long in one place like that with the same core as it eventually wears you out, but we were as mentally tough of a ball club as there was from 11-13. Seriously, you can count on your hand the amount of times the team didn't show up, especially in the playoffs. So you could say Harbaugh wasn't an X's and O's type of coach, but he made the team tough and we were hell for anyone. Maybe if he took a bit more risks the team would have won a SB. I mean if you look at his Michigan team, the offense is still old school run first with the occasional deep shots. That type of style puts a limit on how good the offense can be, but usually leads to a dominant defense. Let's see if the team has enough offense to make a real run at it, but no one is just going to have their way with them. His team will be ready to go and the defense will show up. 

Shanahan on the other hand is known for less taxing practices and I'm not sure how good that is. I mean the team still suffers a crazy amount of injuries, becomes very soft in close games and continues to make mistake after mistake. Now, Shanahan isn't exactly dealing with top level talent, but both have their strengths and weaknesses. Wish Shanny would take something from Harbaugh and vice versa. 

• Like 2

Harbaugh/Fangio inherited a very good defense, and adding Aldon to it made it elite. The secondary was the lone revamped aspect, and even that had 2 of 4 starters already on the team.

Most forget that Greg Manusky had the defense 2nd in rush yards/attempt and 12th in pass yards/attempt, and no one remembers him fondly. And that was without Bowman or Aldon in the lineup. Most of us then recognized the defense was in great shape, but Fangio/Harbaugh now are seen through some pretty amazing rose-colored glasses. Having a pass rush and an offense that could stay on the field were the differences (and Harbaugh definitely deserves credit for the latter). But the defense was entirely on the talent. It's little surprise that the end was visible in 2014 when Willis/Aldon were lost (Bowman was also gone, but his loss was mitigated some by Willis and then Borland).

• Like 1

For those glorious three years, harbaugh was a GOD. He was bill Walsh reincarnated. 

That's how it felt, as someone who had never truley tasted victory. I became a die hard Niner fan in 2003. We were so close those three years that I can still taste the defeat, like ashes in my mouth. 

That was our window. Harbaugh was simultaneously the guy to get us there and the guy that couldn't get us over the hump. Before he got here we had no shot. While he was here we were in it until the very end. 

Harbaugh had his faults. He was hard headed and tough, which meant he wasn't quick to change his ways. 

The delay of game penalties were an issue that he never seemed able to correct. From the QBs prospective, there were two pay calls on every down. They would call both in the huddle, and then get to the line and run the first play, or say 'kill kill kill' which was code to run the second play. 

The problem was that harbaugh had 3 or 4 different coaches that would call plays into his ear, he would then pick two, then call both to the huddle, the QB would then have to call both plays, and line up and read the defense and decide which to run. That process ALWAYS CAUSED ISSUES.

Everyone knew but yet harbaugh refused to change anything. That to me just meant that it wasn't going to work in the long run. 

Harbaugh has been a different man since he left, he's calmed down some. He used to lose his mind on the sideline here. 

He's always been a leader of men (to use his words). He's always been a guy players will ride into battle for. No one doubts his motivational skills nor his will to win football games.

It felt great to have a coach that was as desperate for a taste of victory as I was. I was, and still am completely STARVED for a Superbowl win. I was 3 years old when young got #5. Harbaugh attacked each day like a maniac and it was infectious to the whole organization. 

What people do question, is his strategical prowess. In today's NFL, it might be better or more important to be able to out scheme the other coach. Jim Harbaugh may not have been able to adjust to having less than superior talent and have a winning football team. The teams we had back then were unbelievably stacked with hall of fame talent that we're perfectly suited for his coaching stlye. As @J-ALL-DAY said it's no coincidence he's always had a good defense and a strong run game, with good TE usage. That fit our roster to a T. It felt like destiny at the time, the perfect coach for the perfect roster. 

It never materialized. That's the harsh reality. All we can do is look forward. 

Kyle is a schemer. He's an X's and Os wizard. I feel more confident that he will have long term, sustainable success in the NFL than harbaugh would have. 

If harbaugh would have won the SB in 2011, 2012, or 2013, he would have been given another 3-4 years and we probably wouldn't have Kyle as our HC, which means losing may have been a blessing in disguise, if we can actually bring home multiple lombardis 

"Flags fly forever" and Superbowl trophies etch your name into the history books. I believe that Kyle will get us more than one considering he's 38. Bill belichek is 66. Kyle is unanimously respected around the league, for good reason. He was born to be the 49ers HC. He was raised a 49ers fan. If we are patient enough, chances are IT WILL HAPPEN

I just hope Jed York has the sense to send Frank Gore, Pat Willis, Navarro Bowman, Justin Willis Superbowl rings when we finally reach the mountain's peak (shout out to Aaron Boone)

That defense... 2011 when we had goldson over the middle was probably the best year ever. Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, culliver, whitner, maaaann that defense could smack you. Fangio had is wrapped up nicely, everyone knew their role. No mental errors other than Ahmad Brooks jumping offsides every so often lol 

That group will always be overshadowed by Seattle, especially considering they essentially created a new scheme (the cover 3, 3-4 / 4-3 hybrid that we run now) but our front 7 was far superior. 

I agree with @y2lamanaki look what one edge rusher can do to an offense. We are an Aldon away from having a very stout front 7.  We really aren't that far away assuming Garoppolo is who we hope he is, and Kyle can continue to grow as a coach. 

I BELIEVE

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Link?

It's an IG video, but the press democrat basically did a recap of it. That's here. It's about ripping his play I should mention - not about ripping him personally or anything. He's just really, really tough on how Spoon has been playing. Lots of criticisms. 

https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/donte-whitner-rips-ahkello-witherspoon/