Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

21 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah, I don't think the Raiders were going to trade him to us unless our offer just BLEW away offers from other teams. And while we may have had the best offer, it wasn't THAT much better where the Raiders couldn't take the Bears offer and be satisfied. The potential backlash would have been brutal if Mack was traded to SF.

Thomas gets a handful inside rushes a game and after every game we hear the same thing. Either give him the majority of the interior rushes or stop talking about it .Just stupid at this point. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

We can no longer continue signing and cutting too Savage... He has signed with Cincy

Haha, I was going to mention that to.

In other positive news:

Among the 55 off-ball linebackers with at least 150 defensive snaps played in Weeks 8-12, Warner ranks third in overall grade (85.1) and, more impressively, first in coverage grade (88.6). Most recently, Warner earned an 86.9 single-game grade in the 49ers’ loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, picking up two defensive stops and allowing just 13 yards in coverage in the process.

In the same five-week span, Warner allowed just 95 yards in coverage across 136 defensive snaps and 18 targets. He ranked ninth in yards allowed per target (5.28) and first in forced incompletion percentage (22.2%) among the 56 off-ball linebackers with 75-plus coverage snaps in that span. He also allowed zero touchdowns and missed just one tackle in coverage through the four games.

Though he ranks just 24th in run-defense grade (63.3) on the season, he ranks third among qualifiers in run-stop percentage at 10.7%.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-fred-warner-is-the-future-at-linebacker-for-san-francisco-and-the-future-is-bright

I will still say, his impact isn't the same as Foster's who is a straight wrecking ball against the run when healthy. He's more a tone setter and game changer. Warner does it quietly, but still very effective. Damn good against the pass which is the most important thing in today's game. Our run of drafting talented LBs continues. But hopefully this man is here for the long run and not like Borland/Foster who did it for one season before either retiring or screwing up. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Haha, I was going to mention that to.

In other positive news:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-fred-warner-is-the-future-at-linebacker-for-san-francisco-and-the-future-is-bright

I will still say, his impact isn't the same as Foster's who is a straight wrecking ball against the run when healthy. He's more a tone setter and game changer. Warner does it quietly, but still very effective. Damn good against the pass which is the most important thing in today's game. Our run of drafting talented LBs continues. But hopefully this man is here for the long run and not like Borland/Foster who did it for one season before either retiring or screwing up. 

He doesn't have does really stand-out plays that you think wow that is Warner like Foster had last year. He is however a really damn solid linebacker who can do everything that is being asked of linebackers in today's NFL. He isn't going to be a big hitter that gets in the backfield to blow a play up at this point. He is however just as advertised or better. A guy that is great in coverage(for his position) and does the little things right. We need to get a guy that is better against the run and can hold up in coverage to pair him up with which is why its such a shame Foster couldn't grow up but seeing our recent history with drafting off ball linebackers i have no doubt we will find someone to pair him with.

Yea, the one position you can definitely hit on later in the draft is ILB so I'm not really big on us spending big money on a LB in free agency. BUT if Lynch were to go that route, Jordan Hicks is clearly at the top of my wish list. That's really who Warner reminds me of. 

But Warner is just a stud. People can say he doesn't have the impact plays like Foster but Foster whiffed....ALOT, over-running plays and not using proper trechnique when tackling, trying to deliver bone-jarring hits.  So I'll take the solid, steady play over the occasional 'wow' play, any day. And there was a huge question whether Foster would ever be able to play a full 16 game season healthy. Warner looks much more durable, in that regard. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, the one position you can definitely hit on later in the draft is ILB so I'm not really big on us spending big money on a LB in free agency. BUT if Lynch were to go that route, Jordan Hicks is clearly at the top of my wish list. That's really who Warner reminds me of. 

But Warner is just a stud. People can say he doesn't have the impact plays like Foster but Foster whiffed....ALOT, over-running plays and not using proper trechnique when tackling, trying to deliver bone-jarring hits.  So I'll take the solid, steady play over the occasional 'wow' play, any day. And there was a huge question whether Foster would ever be able to play a full 16 game season healthy. Warner looks much more durable, in that regard. 

Foster definitely didn't whiff a lot last year. Did he miss some tackles? Sure, but for the most part he was a good tackler with out of this world instincts. He was able to diagnose runs before they happened. Warner doesn't have that in his game yet. And in coverage? Foster was pretty damn solid himself. I get it, Foster is now gone so it is the time to trash him and overlook what he did in his rookie season. But the truth is he was damn near elite as a ROOKIE. Foster had the game changing ability you look for in a LB. Warner looks the goods himself and was a hell of a draft pick in the 3rd round, but he wasn't better than what Foster was last year. If you want to argue his style will allow him to stay on the field and he looks to be more durable? I can definitely agree with that. But..........................

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Foster definitely didn't whiff a lot last year. Did he miss some tackles? Sure, but for the most part he was a good tackler with out of this world instincts. He was able to diagnose runs before they happened. Warner doesn't have that in his game yet. And in coverage? Foster was pretty damn solid himself. I get it, Foster is now gone so it is the time to trash him and overlook what he did in his rookie season. But the truth is he was damn near elite as a ROOKIE. Foster had the game changing ability you look for in a LB. Warner looks the goods himself and was a hell of a draft pick in the 3rd round, but he wasn't better than what Foster was last year. If you want to argue his style will allow him to stay on the field and he looks to be more durable? I can definitely agree with that. But..........................

Nobody's trashing Foster. Yes, he had a great rookie year. But he also had times where he was out of position and over-ran plays because his instincts led him elsewhere. He was a rookie and he was learning so things like that happen but let's not act like they didn't happen. Never said anything about him in coverage so not sure why that was brought up but it's possible to be a good, instinctive player but still have holes in your game....which were very evident his season when he was on the field. All I'm saying is Warner's impact may not jump off the screen, but he's definitely standing out in ways that maybe Foster didn't. 

49 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Nobody's trashing Foster. Yes, he had a great rookie year. But he also had times where he was out of position and over-ran plays because his instincts led him elsewhere. He was a rookie and he was learning so things like that happen but let's not act like they didn't happen. Never said anything about him in coverage so not sure why that was brought up but it's possible to be a good, instinctive player but still have holes in your game....which were very evident his season when he was on the field. All I'm saying is Warner's impact may not jump off the screen, but he's definitely standing out in ways that maybe Foster didn't. 

You said he whiffed a lot and was out of position a lot. That's not true. He may have whiffed at times, but he wasn't missing a crazy amount of tackles or over running plays to the extent you are making it out to seem. 

Warner is legit, going to be a damn good player for years to come. He just isn't better than what Foster was last year, that's all. 

• Like 1

Warner is legit, going to be a damn good player for years to come.

I feel like Warner is that sound player, solid in most phases of the game, that will allow another LB next to him to free lance a little more and make splash plays. I was hoping Warner would help take Foster's game to another level this year, but he just didn't seem to be all there. Like his head wasn't in the game. Well, whatever head he had. 

Now let's go get an athletic playmaker and take full advantage of Warner's soundness.

You said he whiffed a lot and was out of position a lot. That's not true. He may have whiffed at times, but he wasn't missing a crazy amount of tackles or over running plays to the extent you are making it out to seem. 

Warner is legit, going to be a damn good player for years to come. He just isn't better than what Foster was last year, that's all. 

Ummmm...but he DID whiff alot. He was leading the league in missed tackles at one point this year, before his injury...and he missed the first two games. He was graded as one of the worst off-ball LBs in the league I believe. Like I said, I'm not trashing Foster. His play did that all by itself this year. Great rookie season but this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. And lately, he was hot garbage and clearly getting outplayed by a 3rd-rounnd rookie.

47 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Ummmm...but he DID whiff alot. He was leading the league in missed tackles at one point this year, before his injury...and he missed the first two games. He was graded as one of the worst off-ball LBs in the league I believe. Like I said, I'm not trashing Foster. His play did that all by itself this year. Great rookie season but this is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. And lately, he was hot garbage and clearly getting outplayed by a 3rd-rounnd rookie.

You are talking about THIS year, I am talking about his rookie season. How can you even judge him this year when the guy was running with his shoulder dragging half the time? 

• Like 1