Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

On 2019-06-12 at 10:05 PM, oldman9er said:

Sounds like you still at least want it.. which pretty well seems less sad than me having it often and not really even wanting it. :/ 

I just assume Aldon wants DUIs at this point.

• Like 1

On 2019-06-13 at 10:04 AM, JIllg said:

The DUIs. Sexual interest and inclination lies along a wide spectrum and whatever a person feels comfortable with is usually best. That is, unless the lack of sex has led to your calling in a bomb threat against a major Canadian airport. 

You're saying that as though there's such a thing as a major Canadian airport. Many people here drive 6 hours to Boston just to get a cheaper flight. 

The thing with Aldon, and someone PLEASE correct me if Im wrong on this, but he had zero red flags coming out of college. No arrests, no kind of behavior that would suggest he would piss away the career trajectory that he was on. Got a little taste of money and success and he was totally unprepared for it. Crazy how some ppl can lose themselves with a little fame. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing with Aldon, and someone PLEASE correct me if Im wrong on this, but he had zero red flags coming out of college. No arrests, no kind of behavior that would suggest he would piss away the career trajectory that he was on. Got a little taste of money and success and he was totally unprepared for it. Crazy how some ppl can lose themselves with a little fame. 

That was the last draft I followed before I got super busy with college and professional life for a bit. 

I don't recall reading a single bad thing about the guy in college. I also remember not knowing much about him when we drafted him, thought he was a late first rounder...but after the fact, seemed like a high character guy. Everyone raved about him in reports, not to mention playing on a broken leg. 

Edited by John232
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

That is correct. There was an article a while back, I can't rememember when / where, I just remember it, where they talked about two players - one had no off field problems, got clear recommendations from coaches and the like, and another who had run ins with the law, wasn't clean with non football stuff, and then talked about how they panned out when they got to the NFL. The former was Smith and the latter Bowman. They were talking about how something there's just no way to know what is going to happen when players get to this level and the like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

He was also only 20 when we drafted him, IIRC. That is around the age that bipolar disorder and other mental health issues often show up in people. It is possible that his life would have taken a turn for the worse even if he wasn't famous or rich. Sad situation, really. I hope he can get the help he needs.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, struby3 said:

He was also only 20 when we drafted him, IIRC. That is around the age that bipolar disorder and other mental health issues often show up in people. It is possible that his life would have taken a turn for the worse even if he wasn't famous or rich. Sad situation, really. I hope he can get the help he needs.

I believe they also said the only red flag on him was that he was young..Never knew it would turn out like this.

Crazy thing is he missed out on 2 maybe 3 big time deals because of all the off field stuff.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan

Was listening to the Ringer podcast and they had Joel Corry on (salary cap / contract expert guy), and during the interview, he said that we were miles ahead of the rest of the league when it came to negotiating team friendly deals and how if he was still an agent, he would never send his guys here :D:D:D:D

It was nice to hear someone besides us appreciate how great the contract structures this team has made have been. Even the deals that I despise, I can't deny that most of them are harmless long term. 

• Like 2

I don't like hearing that agents might not like to send their players here. What if there's a real interesting FA out there that simply won't even entertain us because his agent tells him how it's to his advantage to sign with us? At least, I think the FO has a willingness to renegotiate, when they like the FA after a year or two (we gave Goodwin a new deal after one good season). We prefer to test drive the players before committing to them, which is a good way to do business, in my opinion. We'll give Buckner a lot of money, because we know his value and how he works in the system, and how he is in the locker room. I wouldn't want to give as big a contract to a free agent off the street who might not gel with the rest of the team, or might not fit the system as much as we'd hope. But I hope the word on the street is not that the 49ers are going to fleece every free agent that signs here. Well, unless you're a FB.