Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

I see Damontre as probably our third best edge rusher (strictly pass rusher, not edge player). Thomas and Armstead are not great from the edge and we’ve seen that time and time again. Not that it’s a high bar, but I think Moore is better than Marsh (calm down Oldman). I’d like to see us keep Blair and Moore as our two backup edge guys. I’m hoping Bosa and Ford can stay healthy, but even if they do it would be nice to still be able to get some outside pressure when they are getting a breather. I don’t want to see Thomas outside on passing downs under any circumstances moving forward. I don’t see Moore as an every down player, but I definitely think he has value as a situational passrusher. 

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, Forge said:

Taylor hurt. Pettis has a groin issue. Hurd is banged up. Poindexter is hurt. Probably not going to risk injury to Goodwin or Deebo. That's six off the table right away. 

James / Matthews / Bourne are on the table, but two of those guys could make the actual roster, and at the very least one will, so you probably don't want to put that player in there too much. 

Basically left us with Thompson and Henry. 

apologies for being somewhat off topic but so what youre saying is kittle should be a lock for dfs week 1?

but just came in cause i saw the mckinnon news. Sucks for him, i know he wasnt well liked by some but he was tailor made for a shanahan offense. hopefully they get the knee figured out.

Edited by GSUeagles14

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Not often a fan of arrogant strutting types, but c'mon, Pettis. You can do better than this!

That was the most millennial, participation trophy, un competitive answer I’ve ever heard. That was embarrassing. My expectations of Pettis just dropped dramatically. 

27 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

apologies for being somewhat off topic but so what youre saying is kittle should be a lock for dfs week 1?

Most of those receiver issues will be fine. I don't think Pettis is in danger of missing any time, but we obviously won't play him in the fourth preseason game. 

Kittle depends on the cost for dfs. I'm not sure how the bucs look defensively. I'm assuming he will see a lot of Devin white, but I am not sure how he's been looking or if he's ready to handle that, or if they run zone, etc. On paper, it should be a good matchup, but you never know. He only had like 50 yards against that defense last year

He's a finesse type of WR. Nothing wrong with that if you use him to his strengths but he's not a potential #1 WR. I never really thought he was. He just doesn't have that physicality to his game that leads you to beleive he could be a #1. I was one of the ppl who bashed the pick intially. He did show me last year that he could perform and be a potential big play type of WR in this league. But he doesn't have that dog in him. In critical situations, you probably look elsewhere for those tough, 3rd down, keep the chains moving type of recs. 

Edited by 757-NINER

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He's a finesse type of WR. Nothing wrong with that if you use him to his strengths but he's not a potential #1 WR. I never really thought he was. He just doesn't have that physicality to his game that leads you to beleive he could be a #1. I was of the ppl who bashed the pick intially. He did show me last year that he could perform and be a potential big play type of WR in this league. But he doesn't have that dog in him. In critical situations, you probably look elsewhere for those tough, 3rd down, keep the chains moving type of recs. 

This is actually pretty funny that you put it this way. 

Do you have the athletic? There's an entire article from Barrows about Pettis and that particular phrase. Apparently, Pettis marked that he's a cat person. 

https://theathletic.com/1164359/2019/08/26/a-different-cat-in-a-league-looking-for-dogs-49ers-receiver-dante-pettis-embraces-his-feline-side/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

This is actually pretty funny that you put it this way. 

Do you have the athletic? There's an entire article from Barrows about Pettis and that particular phrase. Apparently, Pettis marked that he's a cat person. 

https://theathletic.com/1164359/2019/08/26/a-different-cat-in-a-league-looking-for-dogs-49ers-receiver-dante-pettis-embraces-his-feline-side/

I don't...but it makes perfect sense

Makes me feel better about parting with Pettis in a deal for Derrius Guice. (For those wondering, DJ Moore + Pettis +Colts backfield for Edleman, Guice, Westbrook and 25$..had a major deficit at RB after Barkley and Kamara and Murray)

I still ike Pettis, not really worried about him, but I don't think he's going to be "the guy". Not even a matter of his personality, just his skill-set. 6'1 190 pound receivers aren't typically alpha dogs. But Pettis is still wonderful for our scheme and is going to be a great player moving forward for us.  

Not going to lie - wasn't aware of this. Also, Washington....oof...holy god lol. 

For some reason, I feel like if they did a 3rd and long percentage (say 9+ yards), we'd have a similar success rate and be one of the worst in football lol. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not going to lie - wasn't aware of this. Also, Washington....oof...holy god lol. 

For some reason, I feel like if they did a 3rd and long percentage (say 9+ yards), we'd have a similar success rate and be one of the worst in football lol. 

Only reason I was aware of this? Saleh mentioned it in his press conference a few days ago. I mean I didn't know we ranked 2nd best, but he mentioned something on that's why our defense on short down situation ranked among the best in the league last year. 

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know if this adds any sort of perspective to those numbers, but we also ranked 4th in turnover % on those plays. Given how historically bad we were at generating turnovers, it's weird to rank so highly in any stat that contains them.

As for 3rd and 9s or greater, we allowed first downs only 26.9% of the time, but that is not a good number, and was 5th worst (ahead of only the Rams, Saints, Cowboys, and Raiders).

• Like 1