Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Slow news season before the draft, so here's a good look at 7 'under the radar' second-year players competing for spots/major roles (some who we largely don't think about, but might actually be pieces of the puzzle): 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/seven-under-radar-second-year-49ers-players

Maiocco talks about Bourne, Joe Williams, Taumoepenu, Magnuson, Mabin, Chanceller James, and Darrell Williams. 

Some intriguing players on that list. Some late round draft picks/undrafted players have the potential to be solid contributors next season. Joe Williams is the guy I will be paying close attention to. Still the most gifted runner on the roster, but does he have the drive and work ethic to be successful? Mabin has some nice physical traits, but he looked pretty raw last year. I forgot about the forum favorite Williams lol. He really looks like a solid pass protector, but the question with him is in the run game. Not sure why Pita didn't even get a chance late in the season at the SAM spot. Would have liked to see if he could do better than Harold. But with Harold making the position switch, he should have the chance to compete for the SAM spot. 

I already posted the Bourne article last week from Crooker who seems very high on him, comparing him to Stevie Johnson. I would love if he is close to Johnson who was one of my favorites. 

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Slow news season before the draft, so here's a good look at 7 'under the radar' second-year players competing for spots/major roles (some who we largely don't think about, but might actually be pieces of the puzzle): 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/seven-under-radar-second-year-49ers-players

Maiocco talks about Bourne, Joe Williams, Taumoepenu, Magnuson, Mabin, Chanceller James, and Darrell Williams. 

I know we didn’t see anything from him, but I’m excited to see what Jimmie Gilbert looks like this year. Love his length, and if he spent his time on the IR bulking up some, he could be a darkhorse to be an edge guy for us going into next year.

Ah totally forgot about him. This is one of the advantages of having such a sorry roster that we had last year, it gives the late rounders/undrafted draft picks an opportunity display their talents. On a good team a lot of these guys would have just been released. The scouting department did a very nice job of finding some talented players after the draft. 

IIRC, Chancellor James was getting some solid hype in TC before going down with his injury right? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ah totally forgot about him. This is one of the advantages of having such a sorry roster that we had last year, it gives the late rounders/undrafted draft picks an opportunity display their talents. On a good team a lot of these guys would have just been released. The scouting department did a very nice job of finding some talented players after the draft. 

IIRC, Chancellor James was getting some solid hype in TC before going down with his injury right? 

I thought it was Lorenzo Jerome that was getting most of the hype, just to be cut some time later.

4 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I thought it was Lorenzo Jerome that was getting most of the hype, just to be cut some time later.

Jerome definitely was, and even started a game after Reid went down early in the season.

But I remember hearing some writers talking about James as well. I could be wrong though. 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jerome definitely was, and even started a game after Reid went down early in the season.

But I remember hearing some writers talking about James as well. I could be wrong though. 

Yeah, I remember hearing some talk about him, but he was definitely eclipsed by Jerome. Some people wanted Jerome over Ward, and Colbert wasn't even talked about back then. So much can change in only a few months. 

27 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Yeah, I remember hearing some talk about him, but he was definitely eclipsed by Jerome. Some people wanted Jerome over Ward, and Colbert wasn't even talked about back then. So much can change in only a few months. 

Both were getting fairly equal love. Jerome more in practices, but James not far behind. I think both were in serious play for the 53. I would not be very surprised if James is safety #4. He was very sharp.

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I know we didn’t see anything from him, but I’m excited to see what Jimmie Gilbert looks like this year. Love his length, and if he spent his time on the IR bulking up some, he could be a darkhorse to be an edge guy for us going into next year.

Forgot all about him.  He had 11 sacks his senior year probably playing in the 220-225 range. Will be interesting to see what he looks like after a couple years in an NFL training program. Maybe there's something there.

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yet he had only 2.5 sacks. He's going to progress to the mean next season and get around the 6-8 range.

And I expect Thomas to be around the same, maybe even better. 

I think He and Thomas are the two reasons why I'm warming up to the idea that we could pick Harold Landry. Yes, Landry uses a speed rush more times than not but if he's one on one with a tackle, I can live with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I think He and Thomas are the two reasons why I'm warming up to the idea that we could pick Harold Landry. Yes, Landry uses a speed rush more times than not but if he's one on one with a tackle, I can live with it. 

Same reason I was thinking we could pick Edmunds. Playing strong side he can still rush from outside when we're rushing 5, or rush instead of the leo, or loop and blitz up the middle.  I'm thinking if he's good enough he can get 6 - 8 for us to add to what Buckner and Thomas get. Then maybe next year will be a better year for Leo's ... althouogh of course we're going to be picking much lower next year :D