Offseason with a trade

DaRealTitletown

To start off I traded MB to the Bills for a third round pick that they have from Philly. I believe this is very likely. The Bills are interested and the Steelers get a good pick back and lose the pain MB is. Get a pick we can have for four years that we need with having only six picks this year when we would only have MB for one more year.

Cut Mitchell, Wilcox, Gay and Sensabaugh because they aren't producing and we need more production so we will be adding it. Cap space now at 29 mil

The Steelers then resign LB to a 4 year deal with an AAV of 14 mil per, and Justin Hunter because of losing MB so he can be there knows system and end up being the 6th WR.

Then dip into free agency more than usual but they can afford to and absolutely should past their typical bargain deals for unproductive vets. Just spend the money and sure up the D a little.... Tre Boston (S) 5 year for $7,500,000 per year ( starting free safety) Andre Roberts (WR) 2 year for $3,000,000 per year (Rogers scares me, he becomes number 5 WR and DHB competes with Justin Hunter for number 6 spot) Alterraun Verner (CB) 2 year for $3,500,000 per year (probably paid too much but decent corner to replace Gay and Sensabaugh as veteran depth because we need that and he can be productive) Anthony Hitchens (LB) 4 year for $6,000,000 per year (starts at ILB with the rookie and pushes Williams back to depth and the second rookie I take makes Dirty Red the 5th ILB like should be suddenly ILB is a strength) Erik Walden (EDGE) 3 year for $1,400,000 per year (Depth at OLB!!!!!!) De'Anthony Thomas (RB) 3 year for $1,500,000 per year (becomes the KR and is third back on depth chart behind Bell and Connor)

Pick 28: Rashaan Evans ILB Alabama (becomes our other starting LB)

Pick 60: Tim Settle NT Virginia Tech (pushes Hargrave and starts against teams like BAL and JJ)

Pick 92: Deon Cain WR Clemson (the new number three receiver, I think we should draft one every year, explosive replaces MB's down field threat)

Pick 96 (from Bills via Eagles): Kyzir White SS West Virginia (depth at safety, can play in the box and is a missile, pushes Davis and at least becomes a freak on special teams, possibly covers in slot in Dime keeping Hilton in on nickel or in 3 safety sets lets Davis play deep with Boston)

Pick 165: Chris Worley LB Ohio State (nice depth at ILB way too good to pass up on)

Pick 220: Davin Bellamy OLB Georgia (more depth at OLB to push Adams and Chick)

Pick 246: Davontae Harris CB Illinois State (Depth at corner behind Sutton and Verner)

QB: BB, Landry, Dobbs

RB: Bell, Connor, Thomas, Nix

WR: AB, JJSS, Cain, Rogers, Roberts, DHB, Hunter

TE: McDonald, JJ, Grimble

OT: AV, Gilbert, Hawkins, Feiler

OG: Foster, DD, Finney

C: Pouncey, MM

DE: Cam, Tuitt, Alualu, Walton

DT: Hargrave, Settle

OLB: Watt, Bud, Chick, Walden, Bellamy, Adams

ILB: Hitchens, Evans. Williams, Worley, Dirty Red

CB: Burns, Haden, Hilton, Sutton, Verner, Harris

SS: Davis, White, Golden

FS: Boston, Dangerfield

K: BOZ

P: Berry

KR: Thomas

PR: Thomas

I know all the activity is unusual but so necessary... this team has many needs and the ability to meet those needs if they cut ties with these old unproductive vets who Tomlin loves.

Sorry, but trading Martavis for a 3rd round pick isnt "very likely" at all....especially if it just has us turning around and spending that pick on a 3rd round pick on....another WR.     The Steelers stuck with Bryant through all of his off field issues, so there is no way they feel he is any more of a pain NOW than they did over the last few years.  The Bills tried to trade for him LAST offseason and the Steelers didnt pull the trigger.  And even if they were to have a change of heart, why would we trade him to another AFC playoff team?    If anything, they would probably try to move him to a WR needy team in the NFC   Now, I think everyone, including our front office knows that Bryant is gone after this season, and Im not saying they wont CONSIDER any trades, however, when you factor in what Bryant brings to this offense, he is proven (even if inconsistent) and his value is worth more to us than a very late 3rd rounder....even for only one year.    Players often have their best years in contract years.....and Bryant needs a big year to prove a) he is capable of being a starter and b) he is worth a big, long term contract.

Im not saying it CANT happen....just that it isnt "Very likely".     Our front office doesnt always make logical decisions, so I dont know what will happen.   However, unless some team is willing to offer us a 2nd round pick or an interesting player trade (like for a talented CB, safety or pass rusher), I think it would be smarter to keep him for his final year.  

13 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Sorry, but trading Martavis for a 3rd round pick isnt "very likely" at all....especially if it just has us turning around and spending that pick on a 3rd round pick on....another WR.     The Steelers stuck with Bryant through all of his off field issues, so there is no way they feel he is any more of a pain NOW than they did over the last few years.  The Bills tried to trade for him LAST offseason and the Steelers didnt pull the trigger.  And even if they were to have a change of heart, why would we trade him to another AFC playoff team?    If anything, they would probably try to move him to a WR needy team in the NFC   Now, I think everyone, including our front office knows that Bryant is gone after this season, and Im not saying they wont CONSIDER any trades, however, when you factor in what Bryant brings to this offense, he is proven (even if inconsistent) and his value is worth more to us than a very late 3rd rounder....even for only one year.    Players often have their best years in contract years.....and Bryant needs a big year to prove a) he is capable of being a starter and b) he is worth a big, long term contract.

Im not saying it CANT happen....just that it isnt "Very likely".     Our front office doesnt always make logical decisions, so I dont know what will happen.   However, unless some team is willing to offer us a 2nd round pick or an interesting player trade (like for a talented CB, safety or pass rusher), I think it would be smarter to keep him for his final year.  

In related news (I know. I know)...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/4da764d2-9bcf-3881-9528-3d2a4fb5ca4d/ss_steelers-could-trade-bryant.html

I wasn't saying that specific trade is likely just that he gets dealt. And I believe they stuck with him to help his value rather than giving up on him and getting nothing plus they needed him more last year because the year before they had nothing past AB. So they needed all their options but after JuJu emerged that isn't the case. So get something for him now and say bye to the distractions. I agree it is possible he isn't traded for the reasons you stated but this is just a what if scenario 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

This is a crap draft for WR.  When Bryant was drafted that was a really deep WR draft.  This is the opposite.  Personally, I would not take a Wr in this draft unless the coach was just pounding the table for them.

Exactly.    I think there are some players later in the draft who could become a 4th/5th WR.....but no way should this team even remotely consider drafting one prior to round 5.

Beyond that, Bryant is more valuable to us than anything we are going to get for him via trade.   I wouldnt trade Bryant unless some team shocks us with an offer for a top 50 pick or an equally talented player that would fill a need of ours.     Other than that, roll with Bryant and just let him walk next year.     Some wont like that, but thats likely whats going to happen anyway, and since we are in WIN NOW mode, Bryant absolutely helps us win in 2018.    

58 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Exactly.    I think there are some players later in the draft who could become a 4th/5th WR.....but no way should this team even remotely consider drafting one prior to round 5.

Beyond that, Bryant is more valuable to us than anything we are going to get for him via trade.   I wouldnt trade Bryant unless some team shocks us with an offer for a top 50 pick or an equally talented player that would fill a need of ours.     Other than that, roll with Bryant and just let him walk next year.     Some wont like that, but thats likely whats going to happen anyway, and since we are in WIN NOW mode, Bryant absolutely helps us win in 2018.    

And there's no guarantee that Bryant fetches us a 3rd rounder via trade. There's almost a 100% chance he nets us a 3rd comp if we lose him after next season with his age and potential massive contract. 

28 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And there's no guarantee that Bryant fetches us a 3rd rounder via trade. There's almost a 100% chance he nets us a 3rd comp if we lose him after next season with his age and potential massive contract. 

While I agree, I also have to be objective and say there is a chance he could disappoint this year and not sign the kind of contract he wants....which may only net us a 6th or 7th....if anything.

However, I will take the chance on that.   Bryant knows this is a big year for him, regardless of what team he is on.   I think he will have a nice year, and I prefer that be with us unless some team wants to offer more compensation than I expect.   

I dont think there is much chance that Bryant nets us a 3rd round comp pick (at least not Bryant ALONE). He is still a risky signing and despite the overall numbers being okay, he was a huge disappointment on offense last year. 

I dont trust Bryant in any sense -- whether that's his availability, his actions on social media, or just his general on field abilities and disciplines. What I do trust, though, is our teams ability to find and draft NFL talent at receiver. Regardless of whether you think this draft is "deep" at receiver or not the Steelers are the ultimate green light shooters at this point in time from a receiver standpoint. 

We lose Bryant after this year. If the team feels there are some guys that they could draft, fill Bryants slot, and be on the team for 3 extra years -- I have no problem with it. I dont think it happens, because I dont understand who would give up a second or third for Bryant right now, but if It happened I dont think it would be hard to pull the trigger after last year. 

18 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I dont think there is much chance that Bryant nets us a 3rd round comp pick (at least not Bryant ALONE). He is still a risky signing and despite the overall numbers being okay, he was a huge disappointment on offense last year. 

I dont trust Bryant in any sense -- whether that's his availability, his actions on social media, or just his general on field abilities and disciplines. What I do trust, though, is our teams ability to find and draft NFL talent at receiver. Regardless of whether you think this draft is "deep" at receiver or not the Steelers are the ultimate green light shooters at this point in time from a receiver standpoint. 

We lose Bryant after this year. If the team feels there are some guys that they could draft, fill Bryants slot, and be on the team for 3 extra years -- I have no problem with it. I dont think it happens, because I dont understand who would give up a second or third for Bryant right now, but if It happened I dont think it would be hard to pull the trigger after last year. 

Bryant disappointed early on but came on strong at the end.   Lets not forget or dismiss that he was out of football for over a year prior to last year.   Lets also not forget that early in the season, our entire offense stagnated.

It would be downright stupid for this team to trade him for anything less than a 3rd round pick.    Im not saying we will get that.....but Ill take 1 more year with Bryant and the POSSIBILITY of him having a big year and eventually getting us a 3rd round COMP in 2020 than trading him for a 5th or 6th round pick that will likely be off the team within 2 years.   If teams want to overvalue draft picks....so be it.   Ill stick with the proven player that could be huge for us for one more year.     

Archived