Offseason with a trade

DaRealTitletown

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Bryant disappointed early on but came on strong at the end.   Lets not forget or dismiss that he was out of football for over a year prior to last year.   Lets also not forget that early in the season, our entire offense stagnated.

It would be downright stupid for this team to trade him for anything less than a 3rd round pick.    Im not saying we will get that.....but Ill take 1 more year with Bryant and the POSSIBILITY of him having a big year and eventually getting us a 3rd round COMP in 2020 than trading him for a 5th or 6th round pick that will likely be off the team within 2 years.   If teams want to overvalue draft picks....so be it.   Ill stick with the proven player that could be huge for us for one more year.     

As I mentioned, that's what I would be looking for and wouldn't pull the trigger for less. But I do not believe that Bryant is beyond replacement, especially since we have already replaced him....twice. Couple that with how well this team has drafted and scouted his particular position and I would not be against them drafting his replacement now (again, if they think the talent is there in the draft) rather than capturing a possible comp pick 3 drafts from now. 

The things that he took issues with last year, and aired those grievances over social media, have not gone away. His potential year long suspensions threat will not go away. Him not being on this team next year isnt going to change. And ultimately, I am not attached to Bryant the "talent" rather than Bryant the deep threat. That I believe can be replaced inside of this offense, playing with Ben, next to Brown, and potentially with Bell. The more I watch Bryant, the less I think of him as anywhere near a good football player. If we could get a second/third, get out from under his baggage, and find an extra three years of service off his replacement -- Ill take that all day. 

Having said that, I dont think we get that kinda value in draft compensation. I do believe that he remains on the team and I do believe he produces as a solid rate, but I still attribute that more to the team than just to him as an individual talent. 

The Third receiver on the Steelers since 2012 (shockingly, with no repeat names -- Edit: I lied, Bryant is on the list twice). 

2017  50 Rec  600 Yards  3 TD

2016  21 Rec  435  2 TD (5 Games)

2015 44 Rec  749  5 TD

2014  26  549  8 TD

2013  46  602  10 TD

2012  44  626  1 TD

i hope he takes off. I really hope he destroys the game next year and finds himself a huge contract. He is in a prime position to do it. But I dont see the elevation in his game. He has always lacked detail and refinement to be a super star NFL receiver. 

15 hours ago, DaRealTitletown said:

Okay so outside of the trade because it doesn't change much if we don't do that trade, then what do all think of the rest of the offseason and the potential roster?

A lot of that depends on what happens with Bell. That will impact how we approach free agency and the draft, in regards to both the positions we look at, and how much money we have to work with.

EDIT:   Sorry, I didnt notice your Bell deal in there.   Thats not going to be enough money to resign him.   He already turned down more than that LAST YEAR IIRC.   

12 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Word is Prior is working out at the Steelers facility. Sign Prior and trade Bryant? I think Prior will command a lot of dough. Prolly better off keeping Bryant and using that money on Bell/FA Defensive player. 

He had a pretty miserable year last year, while playing on a prove it deal. He'll most likely get another 1 year prove it type deal. 

On 2/27/2018 at 8:30 PM, Chieferific said:

Word is Prior is working out at the Steelers facility. Sign Prior and trade Bryant? I think Prior will command a lot of dough. Prolly better off keeping Bryant and using that money on Bell/FA Defensive player. 

We aren't trading Bryant....unless some team offers something we cant pass up...which I doubt.

Archived