Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

What a bunch of idiots. They should have done everything in their power to get Cousins. Perfect opportunity to cement themselves as legit Superbowl contenders for years to come and they throw it away by betting on Blake frickin Bortles. Smh. 

3 minutes ago, jarren said:

What a bunch of idiots. They should have done everything in their power to get Cousins. Perfect opportunity to cement themselves as legit Superbowl contenders for years to come and they throw it away by betting on Blake frickin Bortles. Smh. 

So pay 30M for a QB that is good but not elite? Screw our cap for future years and lose a lot of our young talent because we overpaid for a QB on the open market?

Nah.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So pay 30M for a QB that is although good not elite? Screw our cap for future years and lose a lot of our young talent because we overpaid for a QB on the open market?

Nah.

Id rather have Cousins at 30mil per year than Bortles at 20. Its not even close. With Cousins you guys are tied with Philly as Superbowl favs imo. With Bortles I highly doubt you guys ever make the Superbowl with him as your starting QB. 

I would almost guarantee that third year is a lot of fluff. I would assume that this breaks down to essentially a 2 year deal, if even that. They could have easily done something like a 10 million dollar signing bonus, first full year guaranteed at say 10-12 million base, and that's probably pretty close to your entire guarantees. Then if he stinks, you cut him next off season with a small amount of dead money. 

At least that's what I'm hoping that they did. 

We always over react to initial numbers, when quite frankly, it means nothing until you know how everything is structured. Jimmy G's deal sounded super crazy, then you find out that they basically gave him about 8-10 million over what they would have given him on two straight franchise tags and then they can cut him almost for nothing (basically paying 10 million for long term security if he works). Have to see how it's structured before making any judgment. 

Just now, jarren said:

Id rather have Cousins at 30mil per year than Bortles at 20. Its not even close.

Bortles is getting a short term, front loaded deal that allows the Jaguars to develop/draft a replacement if he doesn't entrench himself as the long term guy while not screwing our cap when needing to resign guys like Jalen, Yannick, etc.

Cousins would likely require a long term, much more non-friendly cap deal that would cost us players on our roster in the future.

Obviously everyone would rather have Cousins than Bortles right now, but it's much more than just comparing the two. Likely why Coughin and co. did what they did here.

Archived