Jags Extending Blake Bortles

bigbadbuff23835

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

It's definitely not impossible for him to turn into an Alex Smith type of quarterback. But, as a Titans fan, I'd rather take that chance than see Kirk Cousins in Jacksonville.

I don't get why people expected us who have a wealth of talent that are going to need extensions in next couple years pay a QB 30M per and be a part of a bidding war.

We aren't the Jaguars of old with cash to throw away.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

And I will point back to my post on the first page. Way too much overreaction going on in this thread. They were stuck with Bortles for this season regardless - all they are essentially doing is trying to lessen the cap load by spreading it out some. 

Assuming he could pass the physical (as I've been told by Jags fans is the case), they weren't actually stuck with Bortles this season. They could have let him walk and chased after Kirk Cousins. And the extra $9 million or so guaranteed probably locks him into two years. Which seems foolish to me when they had no need to lessen the cap load this year, since it's not as though they were in a bad place cap wise for 2018.

Just now, BroncoSojia said:

Because he sucks. If he were better, he wouldn't get trashed as much as he does. 

He doesn't suck though. He's a slightly below average QB who had a decent season this past year with a UDFA and 4th round pick as his top two options to throw to.

Get ARob back, give him a TE, and build up the overall talent around him like most NFL QBs need.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

It's definitely not impossible for him to turn into an Alex Smith type of quarterback. But, as a Titans fan, I'd rather take that chance than see Kirk Cousins in Jacksonville.

the deal doesnt hurt us too much and doesnt really prevent us from picking a QB early to groom.  frees us space to give our some needed extensions. 

i feel Cousins is pretty overated TBH.  

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Assuming he could pass the physical (as I've been told by Jags fans is the case), they weren't actually stuck with Bortles this season. They could have let him walk and chased after Kirk Cousins. And the extra $9 million or so guaranteed probably locks him into two years. Which seems foolish to me when they had no need to lessen the cap load this year, since it's not as though they were in a bad place cap wise for 2018.

frees up money for a Potential  resigning of Arob and Lee or Arob and say Trey Burton. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I don't get why people expected us who have a wealth of talent that are going to need extensions in next couple years pay a QB 30M per and be a part of a bidding war.

We aren't the Jaguars of old with cash to throw away.

Because they're arguably in the best position to chase a ring that they're going to be. They put themselves in a position where they could afford a big-money quarterback while still having the vast majority of their core locked up. All this is doing is kicking the QB can down the road, and by the time Bortles is out, you're no longer going to be able to afford a significant QB contract because that wealth of talent that needs extensions is coming due. Yes, Cousins might have cost you some of your talent three years down the line, but if he gives you a better chance at a SB (or even multiple SBs) in 2018-2020, isn't it worth it?

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Absolutely. I'm basing this on the idea that he wasn't going to pass the physical and they were stuck with him. They could have waited for that to happen either way, but they don't seem to be players for Cousins, and I don't blame them for not trusting McCarron or Keenum over Bortles, so I get the appeal at just spreading the money out to give them a little more flexibility. Just a necessary evil in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He doesn't suck though. He's a slightly below average QB who had a decent season this past year with a UDFA and 4th round pick as his top two options to throw to.

Get ARob back, give him a TE, and build up the overall talent around him like most NFL QBs need.

He also had a great defense and a pretty good running game. The Jags basically tried to hide him for most of the year. The guy is a back-up, a back up that you're stuck with for the next 2 years. You're going to waste the short window that your defense has instead of just looking to upgrade the position.

Just now, Forge said:

Absolutely. I'm basing this on the idea that he wasn't going to pass the physical and they were stuck with him. They could have waited for that to happen either way, but they don't seem to be players for Cousins, and I don't blame them for not trusting McCarron or Keenum over Bortles, so I get the appeal at just spreading the money out to give them a little more flexibility. Just a necessary evil in my opinion. 

Yeah, I mean, I get the thought process. If they weren't going to chase Cousins, I'd probably rather have Bortles over McCarron or Keenum (not that I'm in love with my options there). It's not a move that surprises me, just not exactly the one I would've made.

Archived