Jaguars Free Agents/Free Agency thread

.Buzz

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That's kind of it though...above average lineman barely hit free agency.  That's what brings a lot of the wariness when a guy is hitting the market.  Why is he hitting the market?  Is he actually above average?  What does their previous team know that the new one doesn't...

And on top of that...have to be careful not to let the rarity of decent OL on the market get stoked up into a bidding war where you pay elite money for "average" play.

Yea and that makes sense too but isn't he more than above average? We might have to overbid a little like most players get in free agency. I just think if it works, it could be a game-changing move to add another good OL. I'm sure TC and co will do they whole "Do you love football bit". We'll see what happens

Well hopefully if we can't keep Colvin we have other plans at other positions. Sitton/Pugh/Burton were a few we've mentioned and if Colvin isn't back we can afford to get both an OL/TE of their caliber. 

Also where do we stand on our depth at CB outside of the Top-2? Myrick and Patmon dont give us much confidence I'm sure

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Possibly. If it was me, I’d cut Hurns and his 7M. Give A-Rob 13M per year. Draft another WR.

A-Rob/Cole/Westbrook/Rookie

I love Hurnsy though...even with his injury problems.

Hope we can keep him but he definitely needs to restructure for it to make sense.

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea and that makes sense too but isn't he more than above average? We might have to overbid a little like most players get in free agency. I just think if it works, it could be a game-changing move to add another good OL. I'm sure TC and co will do they whole "Do you love football bit". We'll see what happens

Yeah.  I think Pugh is at least above average.  But sometimes it can be misleading when a guy is part of a line that bad overall.  We had guys like that at times here even, where the shiniest turd looks better than they are when they're standing in a line of stinkier ones.

I'm not saying like, "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't dare spend on FA OLinemen".  Just expressing some wariness, because it's a spot where you can really get burned.  Which would be bad.  And it ought to always raise an eyebrow as to why a team hasn't been able to/or thought it worthwhile to retain their own high quality guy.  Sometimes there are simple reasons like "Pugh doesn't want to be part of that awful Giants circus anymore", or "the Bears are getting aggressively younger", which would satisfy me just fine.

7 hours ago, VLoo said:

Don't do it, Dave. Don't you dare.

This would be infuriating.  They can't make that mistake, can they?  I would've thought it possible in the past...but surely these guys know better, right?

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I love Hurnsy though...even with his injury problems.

Hope we can keep him but he definitely needs to restructure for it to make sense.

How would you restructure Hurns though?  Don't think i'd want to do like Blake's, shuffling more guarantee into next year.  That's risky with Hurns' injury history.  And as much as i do like what he brings, i'm not sure you want to lock anything into the future with that...for flexibility's sake.

It'd basically just have to be Hurns pretty much voluntarily taking less this year, with no extra security added for next year.  And that's not likely to be a super enticing offer for Hurns + his agent.  The only compelling reason for that would be the leverage of cutting him outright...and Hurns+Agent figuring he's not going to get better offers on the open market.  I mean, when you look at the sort of dollars Lee is reportedly seeking...i don't know how far behind that Hurns ask would be.  And Lee has a ton of injury history too.

Just not sure what you can really bargain Hurns down to, unless he opts to take less just to stay in a situation he likes.  Which would be an amazing team guy move.  But otherwise...?

Archived