Combine Time

Leader

Just now, cannondale said:

If you listen to an Aaron Rodgers interview and then watch him play, you're like -- yep.

Watching Jackson made me nervous. He's a run on sentence going everywhere and nowhere. He eventually gets his point across, but it's pretty painful IMO. Some things I couldn't understand at all. I don't feel confident or at ease at all when listening to him. Would this bother me at all at any other position ? No. Can he  command the huddle of my franchise and  provide the leadership necessary ? He wouldn't instill confidence in my eyes. Does he seem like a likable guy ? Sure, I guess. 

Thanks.  I didn't hear the interview, so that helps.

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

If you listen to an Aaron Rodgers interview and then watch him play, you're like -- yep.

Watching Jackson made me nervous. He's a run on sentence going everywhere and nowhere. He eventually gets his point across, but it's pretty painful IMO. Some things I couldn't understand at all. I don't feel confident or at ease at all when listening to him. Would this bother me at all at any other position ? No. Can he  command the huddle of my franchise and  provide the leadership necessary ? He wouldn't instill confidence in my eyes. Does he seem like a likable guy ? Sure, I guess. 

Are you comparing 21 year old Jackson to 21 year old Rodgers?  Or 10+ year NFL starter Rodgers? 

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Are you comparing 21 year old Jackson to 21 year old Rodgers?  Or 10+ year NFL starter Rodgers? 

20 year old Rodgers 5 minutes after having his wisdom teeth pulled trying to read Japanese off of cue cards for the first time

7 hours ago, cannondale said:

So how he speaks to a room full of strangers = how he commands a huddle of his peers? 

Sorry, that's a bad comparison. I was awful in speech class back in the day, does that make me a poor leader?

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So how he speaks to a room full of strangers = how he commands a huddle of his peers? 

Sorry, that's a bad comparison. I was awful in speech class back in the day, does that make me a poor leader?

Did you see the interview ?

No different than any other measurable. Opinions vary

A couple of things from the combine.

O line. The Packers like O linemen that can run a 10yd split inthe 40 dash in a 1.7 time. they also seem to like a 3 cone time of 7.70 or less (see the table in 'Draft Prospects Linked To Gutey' page 5). That 3 cone time weeds out a lot of prospects, with the 10 yd split helping to dump the slow-footed guys (though Packers O linemen Bulaga, Sherrod and Datko ran the split in the 1.8's).

Guys that (sort of) fit that bill

Colby Gossett App. St. 6'5", 311, 10yd 1.85, 3 cone 7.6 Arms 33 7/8
Kolton Miller UCLA
6'9" (!), 309, 10yd 1.67, 3 cone 7.38, Arms 34" (very impressive for a huge guy)
Joe Noteboom TCU 6'5", 309, 10yd 1.72, 3 cone 7.65, Arms 34 7/8
Brian O'Neill Pittsburgh 6'7", 297, 10yd 1.70, 3 cone 7.14 Arms 34"
Scott Quessenbury 6'4", 315, 10yd 1.76, 3 cone 7.5 Arms
31 3/4

Tight Ends with speed to stretch the field. These guys ran the fastest 40 times (not counting the 5'11" Jaylen Samuels) 

Mike Gesicki Penn St. 6'5", 247, 4.55 (3 cone 6.76)
Mark Andrews Okklahoma 6'5", 256, 4.67 (3 cone 7.34)
Hayden Hurst S.Carolina 6'4" 250, 4.67 (3 cone 7.19) Will be 25 at the start of next season
Ian Thomas  Indiana 6'5", 248, 4.74 (3 cone 7.15)
Jordan Thomas Miss. St. 6'6", 280, 4.74 (!) (3 cone 7.50) Impressive for a 280lb guy, but is so unpolished he probably is undrafted

i liked Noteboom from the O line and Hurst from the TEs more than I did before the combine. Noteboom needs more consistency generally, while Hurst needs to polish route running (as most prospects do) and his hands tend to be wide on contact (not necessarily so bad for the Packers, who teach outside hands technique). I already liked the Indiana TE, Thomas, but it's nice to see solid speed. Such a shame we couldn't see Goedert doing the various drills

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Mike Gesicki Penn St. 6'5", 247, 4.55 (3 cone 6.76)
Mark Andrews Okklahoma 6'5", 256, 4.67 (3 cone 7.34)
Hayden Hurst S.Carolina 6'4" 250, 4.67 (3 cone 7.19) Will be 25 at the start of next season
Ian Thomas  Indiana 6'5", 248, 4.74 (3 cone 7.15)
Jordan Thomas Miss. St. 6'6", 280, 4.74 (!) (3 cone 7.50) Impressive for a 280lb guy, but is so unpolished he probably is undrafted

I think Ian Thomas could be best value at TE in the late 3rd to 4th round.  Been on my radar for a few weeks, happy about his numbers at the combine.

Gesicki’s speed is so odd. He doesn’t look that nimble, the 40 was a surprise. But the 3 cone? That’s just plain crazy. Maybe I’m wrong but that doesn’t show up in any of the games I’ve seen.

5 minutes ago, tredpack said:

Gesicki’s speed is so odd. He doesn’t look that nimble, the 40 was a surprise. But the 3 cone? That’s just plain crazy. Maybe I’m wrong but that doesn’t show up in any of the games I’ve seen.

Did Gesicki block more at Penn?

47 minutes ago, tredpack said:

I watched a couple of his cut-ups and he looked REALLY fluid, but a bit like a baby deer smooth yet - like he needs to mature his body control somewhat. Those numbers are pretty impressive, however!

UPDATED: 40 times of edge rushers everyone is keying in on here:

Chubb with an unofficial 4.66

Davemport with an unofficial 4.59

Sweat with an unofficial 4.53 (1.53 10-yard)

Armstrong Jr. with an unofficial 4.88

Landry with an unofficial 4.65 (1.59 10-yard)

Note: Key and Hubbard did not run.

2 minutes ago, Csraverage said:

40 times of names everyone is keying in on here:

Chubb with an unofficial 4.66

Davemport with an unofficial 4.59

Sweat with an unofficial 4.57

Armstrong Jr. with an unofficial 4.88

Landry with an unofficial 4.65

Note: Key and Hubbard did not run.

Lots to like there

Archived