Topo 10 boom or Bust prospects

Iamcanadian

I definitely agree with Malik Jefferson and Arden Key.

I'd throw Jerome Baker's name into the list as well. He's crazy athletic and shows flashes of WOW, mixed with an IQ of 13 when it comes to picking up a TE, FB, or RB out of the backfield in pass coverage.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:41 PM, Dolmonite26 said:

Jackson shouldn't be on the list imo, probably the second safest QB of the class.

I might add Darnold to the list.  He is my top quarterback, but the bust potential is certainly there for him.

What? How is Jackson safe but Darnold isn't? What a bizarre take that is unlikely to be shared with anyone else.

45 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I definitely agree with Malik Jefferson and Arden Key.

I'd throw Jerome Baker's name into the list as well. He's crazy athletic and shows flashes of WOW, mixed with an IQ of 13 when it comes to picking up a TE, FB, or RB out of the backfield in pass coverage.

I wonder what his reads were at Ohio State. Some places read guards, some places read the RB. If OSU taught "near RB" reads, I can see why he got killed on play action. I think Baker will run a 4.4 at the combine and get picked in the late 1st. He's a stud athlete with good size and a great skill set. He's great in obvious passing situations where he can drop back and play zone. He does struggle against play action teams, but this could be a design flaw in OSU's defense. It sure looks like they read "near RB", but it's impossible to really know without inside knowledge of the program.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I wonder what his reads were at Ohio State. Some places read guards, some places read the RB. If OSU taught "near RB" reads, I can see why he got killed on play action.

I just went to the clinic not long ago for Ohio HS Football coaches and Larry Johnson was a featured speaker. Gauging from what he has his DL do, I'd imagine that the reads for LB's are primarily Jet Rules for motion, H rules/Guards for the running game, with inside fits for the MLB/WLB and the DE/OLBs primarily responsible for setting the edge. If you go back and look, there were a few games where he looked horrendous: When Oklahoma ran 2 RB sets (one was a long TD and Baker got beaten badly), Iowa, and at times against Wisconsin, and Penn State.

I think Baker will run a 4.4 at the combine and get picked in the late 1st. He's a stud athlete with good size and a great skill set.

I definitely wouldn't argue otherwise.

He's great in obvious passing situations where he can drop back and play zone.

In theory yes, but OSU runs so much Man, Press man, and Quarters he will need to learn a lot of zone reads.

He does struggle against play action teams, but this could be a design flaw in OSU's defense.

I wouldn't say it's a flaw in there defense considering how good guys like Raekwan McMillan and Ryan Shazier looked in the pass, and even Baker looked VERY GOOD in coverage in 2016...he had a pretty nice game against Oklahoma. I think that he just majorly regressed this past year.

It sure looks like they read "near RB", but it's impossible to really know without inside knowledge of the program.

Iowa killed them with double TE sets.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'd add Tremaine Edmunds.

Agree. If he doesn't improve his diagnosing skills, he's going to get swallowed alive. That being said, he's extremely young and extremely athletic...and has elite size. He is a tremendous lump of clay, but he's not nearly as polished as some people seem to believe he is. He's got a long way to go in terms of fundamentals and functional speed.

Functional speed: Basically instincts. Knowing where to put your body based on a slight movement from the OL. My guard pulls? Attack strongside A gap NOW. I hear the pull call coming my way? Check for a down block (power scheme) and work over the top of that NOW. I don't see him do these little things and it results in him getting stuck to blockers too often. I have to give him a pass on this given he's a 19 year old kid playing on a pretty bleh defense, but it's a concern that I don't have with Roquan or Rashaan Evans right now.

Archived