NCAA Recruiting Thread

Kmart128

57 minutes ago, winitall said:

If they don’t change the one and done rule he’s going to the G League for a year. Kid isn’t going to school for his last two years of high school, he isn’t going to want to all of a sudden attend college classes when someone else will pay him a record setting amount. 

He says he has no interest in the G League and really wants to play college ball.  Which I know is all hearsay but I am sure that the G League has offered a lot to the top recruits this year and only got a couple that struggled in school.  The top prospects still are heading to college.  I think it will depend on how well that program works to see how many more go that route. 

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

He says he has no interest in the G League and really wants to play college ball.  Which I know is all hearsay but I am sure that the G League has offered a lot to the top recruits this year and only got a couple that struggled in school.  The top prospects still are heading to college.  I think it will depend on how well that program works to see how many more go that route. 

I know he has said that he is not interested in the G League; I just think don't think he has any interest in college either. His dad is literally creating his own charter school, I don't think there is going to be much class work going on for the next two years. 

22 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

As someone with close ties to HBCU’s (dad went to Jackson St., brothers went to NC Central), it’s a welcomed sight to see top recruits start to attend/highly consider HBCUs.

it looks like he trying to get another 5* to come with him too.

5 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

it looks like he trying to get another 5* to come with him too.

mikey williams is the one who started it but he is like 12 or something lol

Maker isn't gonna be eligible for college tho, most likely. Which is why I think he committed to Howard lol. He is eligible for the draft this year, I think he is 20 already. 

Edited by 11sanchez11
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 2:37 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

mikey williams is the one who started it but he is like 12 or something lol

Maker isn't gonna be eligible for college tho, most likely. Which is why I think he committed to Howard lol. He is eligible for the draft this year, I think he is 20 already. 

Yeah, I doubt that we ever see Maker step foot on an NCAA court. 

On 6/29/2020 at 11:55 AM, winitall said:

If they don’t change the one and done rule he’s going to the G League for a year. Kid isn’t going to school for his last two years of high school, he isn’t going to want to all of a sudden attend college classes when someone else will pay him a record setting amount. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Bates will be in the first cycle of players that will is allowed to profit from outside sponsorships while playing college basketball. The G-League is offering top players $125K to skip college. A marketing firm estimated that Bates will be able to earn $800K+ from sponsorships if he goes to Michigan State and that Zion would've likely made $2.5M+. 

With this rule change there's literally no reason for any of these top recruits to skip college for the G-League. As a top recruit at a big program you'll get 1,000x more exposure playing on national TV every game, make way more money, and you still have the option to stay in school and aren't forced into the league after a year. Why would you choose to make 1/5 the money, while riding the bus from South Dakota to Iowa to play in empty arenas against grown men fighting for their careers?

That's the biggest issue with the G-League format in my opinion. What happens to these guys after that 1 year/125K contract if they don't play well enough to be a first round pick? For a guy like Jalen Green, of course he's still likely to be a top 10 pick regardless. But for a guy like Isaiah Todd who may not be good enough to be a first round pick, what does he do if that becomes reality? Fight for an NBA roster spot in the G-League in year 2 on that minimum salary? Yikes. 

I'm interested to see how Green looks this year. The level of competition in the G-League is certainly a lot higher than college basketball as most guys in the G-League were 4-5 year college players that are fighting for their careers, not to mention he's going to have a huge target on his back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Bates will be in the first cycle of players that will is allowed to profit from outside sponsorships while playing college basketball. The G-League is offering top players $125K to skip college. A marketing firm estimated that Bates will be able to earn $800K+ from sponsorships if he goes to Michigan State and that Zion would've likely made $2.5M+. 

With this rule change there's literally no reason for any of these top recruits to skip college for the G-League. As a top recruit at a big program you'll get 1,000x more exposure playing on national TV every game, make way more money, and you still have the option to stay in school and aren't forced into the league after a year. Why would you choose to make 1/5 the money, while riding the bus from South Dakota to Iowa to play in empty arenas against grown men fighting for their careers?

That's the biggest issue with the G-League format in my opinion. What happens to these guys after that 1 year/125K contract if they don't play well enough to be a first round pick? For a guy like Jalen Green, of course he's still likely to be a top 10 pick regardless. But for a guy like Isaiah Todd who may not be good enough to be a first round pick, what does he do if that becomes reality? Fight for an NBA roster spot in the G-League in year 2 on that minimum salary? Yikes. 

I'm interested to see how Green looks this year. The level of competition in the G-League is certainly a lot higher than college basketball as most guys in the G-League were 4-5 year college players that are fighting for their careers, not to mention he's going to have a huge target on his back. 

The top kids are getting a heck of a lot more from the G League than $125k. The word is that Jalen Green got somewhere around $500k, and I’m sure the number would only go up for Bates quite a bit. He would make just as much from the G League, if not more, than playing college basketball. Plus, this way he doesn’t have to play a full season. Pretty sure the Select team is only playing like 10 games during their showcase. 

2 hours ago, winitall said:

The top kids are getting a heck of a lot more from the G League than $125k. The word is that Jalen Green got somewhere around $500k, and I’m sure the number would only go up for Bates quite a bit. He would make just as much from the G League, if not more, than playing college basketball. Plus, this way he doesn’t have to play a full season. Pretty sure the Select team is only playing like 10 games during their showcase. 

It's still about exposure and the 2.5M he could likely get in college as they projected Zion to get, would be worth it.  If the G League was so enticing, even without the ability to profit of their namesake, then why are there only 2 kids there now?  

Side note, Max Christie to MSU as well is a nice get.  I hope Emoni reclassifies and we can see these two together.  And hopefully add one more piece like a Bediako.  

29 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It's still about exposure and the 2.5M he could likely get in college as they projected Zion to get, would be worth it.  If the G League was so enticing, even without the ability to profit of their namesake, then why are there only 2 kids there now?  

Side note, Max Christie to MSU as well is a nice get.  I hope Emoni reclassifies and we can see these two together.  And hopefully add one more piece like a Bediako.  

The G League signed 4 kids this year, with literally no results to share with kids. They signed 3 top 20 players and another was #62 overall. If that was a recruiting class it would have been #4 overall in the country, with two less kids than any of the top 3. Heck, it would have had the highest average commit rating in the country. That seems like a pretty significant result, no? Especially when they are only planning on signing a handful of kids every year.

• 2 weeks later...